MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-04-11, 13:45

Default CMP's to see in BC?

I'm off to see my son in Kelowna BC next week from sunny Suffolk, UK. As a '43 Morris Commercial owner are there any CMP sites/museums worth seeing nearby! I've asked no1 son repeatedly to seek out stuff, but as he's into computers, poor lad, the real world of oil and water doesn't seem to touch him! Thanks. Jerry
Old 26-04-11, 18:07

Default Kelowna

There is a nice military museum in Kelowna. http://www.okmilmuseum.ca/
Let us know when you are coming there is always something going on somewhere. Might be a bit of a drive but if you have come all this way anyways....?
Old 26-04-11, 18:10

Default You might...

... be here When the BCD's , British Columbia Dragoons celebrate there 100th anniversary! Good timing as they will have a parade with I think both the Centurian and Sherman down from Edmonton.
Old 26-04-11, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
... be here When the BCD's , British Columbia Dragoons celebrate there 100th anniversary! Good timing as they will have a parade with I think both the Centurian and Sherman down from Edmonton.
Harry - Thanks for the info. We'll be in Kelowna next week and I'll make a point of getting to the Museum, more's the better if our visit coincides with the Dragoons 100th anniversary. Thanks again for the info. Best wishes - Jerry
Old 05-05-11, 01:54

Visited the Kelowna military museum yesterday and recommend it's worth visiting, very friendly folk and good displays. One of the features is about Flowerdew VC who went to school in our hometown of Framlingham in UK. Small world!! Jerry
Old 06-05-11, 23:29

Default Kelowna

The Dutch fellow Albert Simmons that runs the surplus store in Kelowna is a great collector of Military stufff ,He at one time imported most of the unimogs into western Canada.
http://www.mtmfg.ca/
also go up to Vernon and have a look at the army cadet camp .it is a Canadian forces training camp from ww1 and then rebuilt in ww2 most of the origional h huts are there and in continuous use each summer by the army cadet program in Canada
http://www.armycadethistory.com/vernon_acstc_main.htm
interesting videos and history
Jeff davis
Old 09-05-11, 09:29
Derek Heuring

Default If you get to Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
I'm off to see my son in Kelowna BC next week from sunny Suffolk, UK. As a '43 Morris Commercial owner are there any CMP sites/museums worth seeing nearby! I've asked no1 son repeatedly to seek out stuff, but as he's into computers, poor lad, the real world of oil and water doesn't seem to touch him! Thanks. Jerry

Things to see in and around Vancouver:

Museum of Flight and Transportation at Langley Municipal Airport has one of the two surviving Hampden Bombers left in the world which is worth the trip by itself.

Ram Cruiser tank outside of the Beatty Street Armoury, downtown Vancouver, home of the B.C. Dragoons.

15th Field Artillery Regiment which isn't too far from the Seaforth Highlanders armoury has a decent museum with one of the ultra rare Huot Machine Guns.

Maritime Museum in Kitsilano has preserved the St. Roch, a former RCMP vessel that transitted the North west passage.

I'm sure the guys still living in B.C. can add greatly to the list.

CHEEMO! Derek.
Old 15-05-11, 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
We just got back from RV'ing our way around the Kootenay's to see the BC Dragoons getting the keys of Kelowna. Nice drive by by the Sherman, a Ferret and a M113 followed by a host of MB G-wagons and a trio of M38's. A good chat with one of the owners of the Canadian M38 with a MB grill. All very friendly.

Sadly we're off home to Blighty and won't be able to get time out in Vancouver, but I hope to visit the local surplus stores recommended.

Off to Normandy in the Hotchkiss in a week and a bit for 10 days with some MVT chums. Who says retirement ain't fun!! Thanks for all the tips and help.
Jerry