MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24-03-20, 05:07
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 555
Default Henleys - Item of Clothing for Despatch Riders?

Hello All,

Can someone please let me know what item of clothing a "Henleys" is?

The following is a write-up about English World War II Despatch Riders that mentions ... "with henleys, pullovers and riding shirts"


With so many variables to consider, the hallmarks of despatch rider gear were versatility, utility and performance. Layering up was a necessity, with henleys, pullovers and riding shirts forming a despatch rider’s summer-to-winter get-up. Knee-high riding breeches and boots, lightweight helmets and comfortable gloves point to a high degree of protection and functionality. Airy, comfortable materials such as canvas and twill were used, combining military heritage and utility. Pieces of soft storage such as panniers were strapped on to the motorcycle and messenger bags and duffel bags weren’t just accessories, they were standard issue (Accessed 24th March 2020, from https://store.royalenfield.com/pages/despatch-rider)

Kind regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-03-20, 07:41
Richard Farrant's Avatar
Richard Farrant Richard Farrant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 3,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Hello All,

Can someone please let me know what item of clothing a "Henleys" is?

The following is a write-up about English World War II Despatch Riders that mentions ... "with henleys, pullovers and riding shirts"


With so many variables to consider, the hallmarks of despatch rider gear were versatility, utility and performance. Layering up was a necessity, with henleys, pullovers and riding shirts forming a despatch rider’s summer-to-winter get-up. Knee-high riding breeches and boots, lightweight helmets and comfortable gloves point to a high degree of protection and functionality. Airy, comfortable materials such as canvas and twill were used, combining military heritage and utility. Pieces of soft storage such as panniers were strapped on to the motorcycle and messenger bags and duffel bags weren’t just accessories, they were standard issue (Accessed 24th March 2020, from https://store.royalenfield.com/pages/despatch-rider)

Kind regards
Lionel
Lionel,
A henley refers to vest which looks like a polo shirt without a collar.
Regards
Richard
__________________
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
MVT, IMPS member, AMVCS hon. member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-03-20, 07:46
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
Lionel,
A henley refers to vest which looks like a polo shirt without a collar.
Regards
Richard
Hello Richard,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

Kind regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-03-20, 14:52
Richard Farrant's Avatar
Richard Farrant Richard Farrant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 3,448
Default

Hi Lionel,
Take a look at this ebay link for a 'Henley' shirt. (the price seems a bit high!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1...-/252622068315
__________________
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
MVT, IMPS member, AMVCS hon. member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-03-20, 17:13
David Dunlop David Dunlop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,237
Default

Wow! Now THAT’S a term I have not heard for a very long time. My Dad and GrandDad used to talk about needing clean ones on Wash Day.

Thanks for the memories, guys!

David
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-03-20, 18:38
Grant Bowker Grant Bowker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,890
Default

Borrowed from Wiki:
A Henley shirt is a collarless pullover shirt, characterized by a round neckline and a placket about 3 to 5 inches (8 to 13 cm) long and usually having 2–5 buttons. It essentially is a collarless polo shirt. The sleeves may be either short or long, and it can be made in almost any fabric, although cotton, cotton-polyester blends, and thermals are by far the most popular. Henley shirts are generally regarded as menswear, but women's versions have appeared as business casual and casual wear as well.
Henley shirts were named because they were the traditional uniform of rowers in the English town of Henley-on-Thames.

Modern examples at:
https://www.llbean.ca/shop/Henleys/5...e=mens-henleys
for prices well below the ebay example.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-03-20, 01:14
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 555
Default

Hello Richard, David and Grant,

Thank you for your replies. The eBay Henley from World War Two has certainly gained in value over the years selling at 350 UK Pounds!

Kind regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-03-20, 16:22
Michael R. Michael R. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Hello Richard, David and Grant,

Thank you for your replies. The eBay Henley from World War Two has certainly gained in value over the years selling at 350 UK Pounds!

Kind regards
Lionel
Asking vs selling ...

“ ________ is as ________ does.” – Forrest Gump
Attached Thumbnails
8C14B9C5-5520-4ABF-A620-2C6533184FB2.jpeg   EEF0DB3B-227C-41F5-8BF6-C11DFAC80BE3.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-03-20, 05:00
maple_leaf_eh maple_leaf_eh is offline
Terry Warner
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the river flats in a poor part of town
Posts: 2,462
Default

... and I just call that a long sleeve t-shirt
__________________
Terry Warner

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-03-20, 09:29
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Asking vs selling ...

“ ________ is as ________ does.” – Forrest Gump
Hello Michael,

There is an Australian movie called The Castle. Part of the dialogue is about unrealistic asking prices... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dik_wnOE4dk

Kind regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Dispatch Riders Lang WW2 Military History & Equipment 0 22-11-19 02:19
Bag, Waterproof, clothing Robin Craig The Sergeants' Mess 2 08-08-17 03:59
Wanted: ww2 british despatch riders helmet Sterling Ball For Sale Or Wanted 13 23-05-16 09:45
Surplus clothing Wpns 421 For Sale Or Wanted 0 26-03-10 01:12
RCAF Clothing Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) WW2 Military History & Equipment 4 28-06-03 16:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016