MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-12-06, 20:39

Default F8 front axle shims

Is anyone familiar with the type of shim shown in the photo attached? As I removed the front axle of my Cab 12 F8, a shim like this fell out from where the axle attaches to the springs at the U-bolts. Although its not clear in the photo, the figures 1 3/4 are stamped in the circle. On the other side was a similar shim that had almost crumbled with rust - this one read 1/2 (I think).

Which way round should they go i.e. wedge forward or wedge aft? What is their purpose?

David
Kingston Ont
Attached Thumbnails
web leeuwarden roof 004.jpg  
Old 16-12-06, 23:29

Hi David
These look like the alignment shims we used to use. The wedge part tips the axle for caster. Most of the time we needed more positive caster so the shim went in from the rear. If you look at the forks of a bicycle, that forward angle is (+) caster. Notice how you can ride a bike with no hands? Now turn the forks (handlebars) around the other way and try to ride the bike with no hands. It's a lot harder. That is (-) neg. caster.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 17-12-06, 00:03

Default Shims

Hi Barry
Thanks for the info. I guess the figure stamped on the shim refers to the angle "out of flat" that it adds/subtracts? But the wedge on the one I showed looked like more than 1 3/4 degrees?! Since one had crumbled, I left them both off. I guess I'll just have to wrestle with the wheel a bit more when the time comes! I don't plan on driving more than 20mph anyway - no highway driving planned!

Cheers
David
Old 17-12-06, 01:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

David, these are called "Caster Correction Wedges". Try any 4x4 parts supplier that fits lifted leaf spring suspensions to full size trucks. They are usually only required when a standard truck if lifted over 4"- 6", but are useful to correct wheel alignment on unmodified vehicles when there is no caster adjustment in the front axle. You may be better to have your truck up and running and take it into a wheel alignment shop so they can give you a proper reading of what the caster angle is, and what degree of adjustment would be required. Just mention your spring width when ordering.