MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 01-05-16, 23:42

Default My Dad and Eric Walter of Neudorf, SK

This is a photo of my Dad (on the right), SPR Soli Dubash, somewhere in Europe. I came across the photo in amongst my Dad's photos. I have no idea if he and Eric Walter were buddies, acquaintances, or just two Canadians the photographers pushed together for the photo. I'd be interested in knowing if any one knew anything of Eric Walter.

My Dad died in 1989 and as kids he did tell us things about his experiences but as we got older, we didn't ask and he stopped talking, probably because we didn't ask.. I remember vague stories but no real details.

He was a Sapper. He joined August 1, 1942 with RCASC 4 Dist. Coy, in Montreal. He was from India and was studying at MIT. He tried to join the US Army but was told "our Indian contingent is filled" (in other words "coloureds not welcome"). So he went up to Canada to sign up and was accepted immediately. After finishing University, he became a Canadian citizen and lived the rest of his life here.

He served overseas from Aug. 1943 - Jan. 1944 in England, Jan. 1 1944 - Jun. 1945 with the 1st. Canadian Division, SPR, 3rd and 4th Field Coy., RCE. Later he served in the Naval Reserve from 54-59 (retiring as A/Lt. (E).

I spotted him in a photo in the Nat. Archives of the 4th Field Coy. Building a Bailey Bridge on the Ems Canal, at the controls of the crane. Also in a newsreel of the Canadians demobbing at Nijmegen in 1945.
Attached Thumbnails
F23BA48E-3E81-46A8-9568-15938C33D994.jpg