MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 30-08-22, 17:10

Default CMP front wheel bearing shims

Would anyone have a sample of any of these shims. Trying to determine outside and inside dimensions. They are for the front wheel bearings
Attached Thumbnails
0445E4AF-F04D-4855-B796-F33B2C28174E.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 30-08-22, 17:41
carrier mech

Not sure I have any loose right now, but they only need to be the diameter of the spacer, or a similar diameter to the center part of the bearing.
Old 30-08-22, 17:47
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Shims are used in conjunction with a cast steel "Teacup" shaped spacer that sits between the inner bearing cone and the outer bearing cone. Only one side of the Teacup will use the shims, to obtain preload on the wheel bearings. The shims will be the same dimension (I.D./O.D.) of either the large or small end of the teacup, and also the corresponding face of the wheel bearing cone.

Unfortunately, I don't have a front hub disassembled at the moment to take pics or measurements. There should be a pic in the Parts List to show the arrangement.
Old 30-08-22, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
The Shims are used in conjunction with a cast steel "Teacup" shaped spacer that sits between the inner bearing cone and the outer bearing cone. Only one side of the Teacup will use the shims, to obtain preload on the wheel bearings. The shims will be the same dimension (I.D./O.D.) of either the large or small end of the teacup, and also the corresponding face of the wheel bearing cone.

Unfortunately, I don't have a front hub disassembled at the moment to take pics or measurements. There should be a pic in the Parts List to show the arrangement.
Hi Tony,

I believe Jordan's query was on my behalf, I am not one for using the forum, even though I should do so more. I just replaced the outer bearing on my C15a driver side wheel, but figure that I need to install shims to make sure the bearings are properly adjusted (certainly shows the shims in the exploded view of the parts manual and discusses it in the maintenance manual). Lost the original I had when I first worked on this several years ago. Bearing recently failed, so figured the failure may have been the result of not using any shim when I reassembled it. I sort of figured that I could use the teacup spacer to determine the I.D./O.D. size but was concern if the resulting shim should be exactly the same size or slightly smaller. When you dry fit the spacer up against the bearing cone its a very narrow seat just short of touching the roller assembly. If I was going to order some made or see what may be currently available wanted to be absolutely correct on the dimensioning.

If anyone has a spare shim that I could take measurements that would solve the problem.

cheers,

John

1944 C15a
Old 31-08-22, 02:12
VMVC

Default Front bearing spacer shims- Ford and Chev CMP

Hi John,

I posted this on MLU Forum on their FB page this morning. Replying to Jordan.

From my F-15A Parts List Ford and GM are the same.

Here is one of mine: 3.00" OD, 2.75" ID

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0081.JPG   IMG_0080.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 31-08-22, 03:23

Thanks all. My original question was on behalf of John.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 31-08-22, 03:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sek View Post
If I was going to order some made or see what may be currently available wanted to be absolutely correct on the dimensioning.

If anyone has a spare shim that I could take measurements that would solve the problem.

cheers,

John
I suppose you would want to know the thickness of shim that you require before buying, but you wouldn't be able to get pre-load figures without having an assortment on hand. Usually a good starting point is the shim thickness that was used prior to replacing the bearing.

Post number #2 in this thread might be of assistance: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25583
Old 31-08-22, 03:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi John,

I posted this on MLU Forum on their FB page this morning. Replying to Jordan.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
WHAT!! A secret "Shadow" MLU is out there?
Old 31-08-22, 09:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
WHAT!! A secret "Shadow" MLU is out there?
Yes, read about the “why” here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24991

Keith Webb set up a CMP Facebook page long before MLU-FB, there’s also an Australian group on Blitzes and a myriad of other groups on all sorts of related subjects.
Old 31-08-22, 14:52
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Yes, read about the “why” here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24991
Well, I suppose at least they have a "Like" button!

Old 31-08-22, 23:59

Default Tempest in a tea cup.....

For my personal edification.......

Not all models have the cast iron tea cup.....having seen it only once on/in a HUP front axle......

Dealing primarily in C15a...... what model/year etc. has the tea cup and why not others???? My front axle has the R-Zeppa U-joint.....others I have dismantled had the later simpler U-joints but no tea cup?????

Never too late to learn!!!!!
Canada
Old 01-09-22, 01:47
VMVC

Default "Teacups"- Bearing spacers, CMP front axles

Hi Bob,

I also would like some edification.

My Ford F15-A Parts List shows 14 different Spacers in 0.005" increments.
Did GM do the same? I believe that part of the drive train was common to Ford and GM.

Next question is why? Was the manufacturing tolerances so large they needed such a large range. I know bearing preload is affected by small change in distance hence the shims but so many "Teacups". Maybe the "Mad Hatter" was in charge of design!

Even amongst the spacers I have two different designs but perhaps just 2 different foundry suppliers.

Disregard my previous comment about "B". probably just a foundry mark. Found a very faint stamp on one of the larger ones near the horizontal groove. "K" and when miked it is 2.110"
Another large one has what looks like a very faint "H" at the same location and measures 2.095". Both were hard to find. Never stop finding out new things about these trucks

Look forward to some info.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0090.JPG   IMG_0091.JPG   IMG_0085.JPG   IMG_0101.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 01-09-22 at 04:27.
Old 01-09-22, 04:02
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

My understanding in the difference in C11Q-1193-A,B, C, D, etc and C21Q-1193A is that the 1941 pattern used several different spacers in different sizes to suit, while 1942 used only one spacer of a standard size, but built that up with different shims.

I suppose someone thought that keeping supplies of multiple sized spacers was more of a production or logistical supply problem than having only one spacer and supplying shims for adjustment.
Old 01-09-22, 04:23
VMVC

Default "Teacups"- Bearing spacers, CMP front axles

Hi Tony,

That makes a lot of sense. My parts list is Dated 1943 and only shows the Cab 13 but I would think they would just carry on parts from previous model years if already in the system.
Looking again at it there is only 0.060" difference between the shortest and longer spacer. well within the realm of compensating intermediate sizes with shims on a standard 2.060" spacer.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 01-09-22 at 04:41.