MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-07-03, 21:58

Thumbs down Beltring 2003

Geoff

can't find the original thread so posted here:

The Oxford CMP crew arrived home from Beltring safely after six hours on the road, no problems no mishaps with either the C30 11 cab of Steve Stone the F15A 11 cab of Luke Stone or my C15A 12 cab.
I read your post Geoff asking for comments but have waited until now to give time for reflection to enable me to give you a reasoned balanced response.
So here goes these are my own thoughts based on being on site from 1230hr 13/07/03 to 21/07/03 0930hrs

Positive comments first:

 The booking in was fast and efficient
 There were a number of designated fire points with two plastic buckets per point filled with water in the camping areas
 The helicopter landing zone was clearly fenced off and marked with keep out signs, however the coppers still fly the full length of the America field to land and take off
 There were noticeably less under age quad riders, although there were still some who seemed to escape the ban
 Track vehicle movement was much better controlled, all that I saw moving had people walking in front
 The overall number of vehicle movements around the site seemed much reduced

Less positive comments:

 There was an anomaly on the booking in forms at reception where both I, Steve and a number of others found vehicles listed on the form that we had not entered this year and in a number of cases had sold a number of years ago, this could not be adequately explained by the person who booked us in so we crossed them off.
 The number of WW2 vehicles on display was significantly reduced this year
 There was no clear guidance on where to camp despite being told that this would be the case, not a problem for us we know the score anyway.
 The number of truck related stalls was down this year
 The one way system worked fine until it joined at the booking in point with exhibitors trying to get in on what is really a single carriage way road, the result was unnecessary congestion.
 The security on the gate was very 'visible', this is a positive in terms of keeping out undesirables, but had the overall effect for us of making us feel that we were in a prison camp only allowed out as trustees.
 Prices on the stalls were high

Real downers:

 The mobile toilets were as awful as always, my impression was that there were less than in previous years
 The main toilets were the same condition as always
 The showers were the same condition as always
 Pedestrians and vehicles were as mixed up as always, particuly going through the trees into the bottom 'America' field, this is a real Health and Safety issue that a not addressed at all
 The dust was a bad as always
 Traffic control to and from the 'America' field was at best patchy and most of the time that I was using this route non-existent

In conclusion:

 The overall atmosphere that was Beltring seemed lacking this year, this may have been just us, but I have to say a number of other regulars commented likewise to us without any prompting.
 At £25 it is still a cheap holiday for two adults and two kids
 There was a hard commercial edge to the show this year that made me feel that I was part of a larger profit making machine, and I have to be honest left me feeling uneasy about the whole thing
 Will we be going next year ?……. no,…. we will go to Arnhem in September where we will not be made to feel like a POW on parole
 There is a form included in the booking in pack that asks for comments on this years show, I will included a copy of this for return to War and Peace

There you go Geoff, sorry it's not as upbeat as previous years, it just left the Oxford CMP crew feeling uneasy about the whole concept.

Regards

Pete
Old 24-07-03, 02:31
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thanks for that, Pete. Hanno said some of the same, and it's all interesting, because you've echoed almost exactly what Richard Notton has been saying for a while. I guess the old goat has really zeroed in on things!

Is there any chance of seeing you at Southampton/Normandy next May/June? It would be a real privilege.

Normandy aside, it looks like the general focus of 'a main event' in Europe may be shifting effective next year. Tough for us colonials to follow (can't do more than one overseas event a year at best), but we'll do what we can.
Old 24-07-03, 02:52
In Vino Veritas

Default Helicopters

Not critical, but perhaps a bit of insight. In canada , except for certain purposes like slinging loads, a helicopter must maintain forward movement for safety reasons. I believe the mins are 500ft and 30mph. THis enables the pilot to autorotate if he has engine failure and everyone lands safely. If the helo has no forward speed he is considered " a rock" if the engine quits. So for carrying passengers hovering is dangerous and a helo trys to establish forward momentum as soon as airborn, ie running the length of the field. Ever notice how when an interesting scene is unfolding under a news camera the damn thing won't just sit still and film, but continues to move in a circle.
So they should be moved down the road and just over fly the site.
Sean
Old 24-07-03, 02:59
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Helicopters

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
So they should be moved down the road and just over fly the site.
But then Rex & cronies lose control over their portion of the revenues from those incessant flights... :
Old 24-07-03, 12:33

Unhappy Beltring 2003

Geoff,

l echo Pete's views, although I would not be so generous on vehicle movements and kids on bikes. I witnessed what was nearly a very close thing with two on a scooter and what I would describe as 'a madman in a French jeep' ALL IN SIGHT OF A SO CALLED OFFICIAL WHO LOOKED THE OTHER WAY! When tackled on the issue I got a shrug of the shoulders and the response 'what am I supposed to do, they are only enjoying themselves'. Around where we camp I saw no real reduction in kids on bikes etc with vehicle movements between certain hours becoming more relaxed as the time went on. I also tackled the 'Officials' at each end of the road into the America field who seemed to be for ever talking to someone but obviously not each other as there appeared to be no real control of vehicles entering from each direction, which did create a real safety issue, especially for those on foot. I also noticed with interest not too far from where Pete was that the Fire Point was still there but buckets disappeared sometime before the weekend.

Overall a lot of promises about improved facilities and required controls but very little evidence. Was a bit like Stalag Luft III as on occassions you were 'asked' to show your arm bands three times within 500 yards on entering the site and other times no one!

On the positive side the chance to catch up with friends, pick up a rear C8A body plate from Dirk and not be in a position to spend much more money as the stalls were too expensive.

For me, definately not again with a vehicle, although I may be tempted to travel by car and make entry via a public footpath which comes into the site just behind where we normally set up camp. Next year is Normandy, Arnhem plus our local scene which will more than satisfy my needs.

Ian
Old 24-09-03, 00:18
Richard Notton

Default Re: Beltring 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian McCallum
Geoff,

For me, definately not again with a vehicle, although I may be tempted to travel by car and make entry via a public footpath which comes into the site just behind where we normally set up camp. Next year is Normandy, Arnhem plus our local scene which will more than satisfy my needs.

Ian
Come and park-up at Overlord 2004 before you do the 15 min trip to the Portsmouth ferry terminal, I wont charge you a bean !

With apologies, gratuitious advertising over

R.
SMVT Show Sec.