MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-08-10, 22:11

Default Radio Geneology

Hi

Not strictly WW2 but it starts (before) that ...

Does anyone know of a list of radio sets that the Canadian Army actually had in service and used - right up to today.

For example, Ws no 9 to WS no 52 to AN/GRC-106 to ???

or Ws no 19 to Ws no 29 (never produced) to C-42/45 to VRC-12 (RT-524) to ???

Was the CP-34 aka PRC-514 actually in Canadian service?

Thanks

Doug
Old 14-08-10, 03:31
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

That's a tall order, I've never seen a complete list. You are looking at a time span of many decades with many changes in technology and government selection processes.

Pre WW2 the use of commercial off-the-shelf sets were common. Mostly point to point made by Marconi, Westinghouse, National Radio, etc.

We're probably most familiar with the wireless sets of WW2. A booklet for Clive on their uses is in finishing stage. The use of equipment not on the WE is also documented. 1st Div used some Royal Navy sets and the US SCR299 radio truck.

Post war saw the shift to US equipment. Peacekeeping missions had to have equipment compatible to other countries, especially were crypto was used.

The CP34 is a nice little green set but I don't think it was made in any great numbers. There was also a 4 channel version called the CP24. I have a Spilsbury & Tindall SBX11 marked DREO (Defense Research Establishment Ottawa). I guess they had a budget to try out new toys.

It would be an interesting exercise but would require much input from many sources.
Old 14-08-10, 16:49
Terry Warner

I don't think a green truck forum is the best place to ask this kind of chronology. There must be forums for radio enthousiasts or signals veterans who would know that level of detail off the top of their heads.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 14-08-10, 21:49

You are probably right, but given the number of members who list radios among their collections, I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks
Doug
Old 14-08-10, 22:38
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Every thing forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
I don't think a green truck forum is the best place to ask this kind of chronology. There must be forums for radio enthousiasts or signals veterans who would know that level of detail off the top of their heads.
With respect Terry,but I have been here since day one and we have discussed every topic under the sun..
It is NOT a GREEN TRUCK FORUM...
Military radios most certainly have a place here and Doug has some interesting stuff to say...
Stick around Doug..
My $0.02
Old 16-08-10, 16:53

Default Military Radios

Two quick Google searches found these.

For British:

http://wftw.nl/gallery/gallery.html

And the Americans:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_electronics.php3
Old 17-08-10, 01:36
M38A1 CDN3

Further to Ed's posting of the link to Meulstee's series "Wireless for the Warrior", in the first pages of Vol 1 and Vol 2 there are line diagrams showing the progressive useage of various radio sets. These diagrams also show the frequency spreads for each set. Since these diagrams refer primarily to British sets, it stands to reason that, during WW2 and some time after, out little Colonial Dominion would have adopted/used many of the British types.

Further to the posting about the AN/PRC-514 (CP-34). I doubt very much that this set ever reached production status. I have serial number 1500 and have wondered if there ever was a 1501. This was a crystal controlled set and the crystals in mine are nowhere compatible with the military tactical frequencies extant c.1975. For example...4.230 Maritime Mobile, 5.735 Aeronautical Mobile, 6.873 ISM (Industry, Scientific, Medicine) Fixed, Secondary, 5.396 Fixed Mobile except Aeronautical. Being a responsible licensed Amateur Radio operator, I wouldn't even think of trying a contact on any of these frequencies, which are still listed as active in the Radio Frequency Allocation Spectrum.Why Collins would be asked to produce such a set operating USB/AM in 1975 is beyond me!

No apologies for the verbiage...I just love a chance to spread information if I have it!