MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 28-03-06, 16:28
T-16, C15A

Default UC Cross Tube Gaitors

Gents,

For those of you that are restoring a Universal Carrier, there is a hard to locate item on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bren-Gun-Carrier...QQcmdZViewItem

Sure you can use a flap of old inner tube for this job, but is that really the right thing to do? Years ago I recall that Rob in MB had one, as did Brain Asbury - but they are on either end of the cross tube on my machine now.

As always, no connection with the seller.

Stewart

PS - despite claims that this is a T-16 part we all know that the T-16 does not need a device as this, having no cross tube.
Attached Images

Old 28-03-06, 18:40
carrier mech

I still have one NOS of the later style dust excluders around. I actually prefer the earlier version, which is what this guy has reproduced.
I made up a pair out of leather sheet, using the remnants of one off my carrier as an example. They can be made in about an hour. If you don't have a heavy enough machine to sew leather, then the ebay price doesn't look too bad.
Old 28-03-06, 19:54
BIG MIKE

B. Asbury has them , just bought a set and soaked them in neatsfoot oil, $20.00 each, But a nice NOS item. those thier on ebay look cheaply made out of cow"swade" hide. 4 or 5oz leather with With linen waxed thread and 2 oz pig skin is the correct weight and look, better to make them by hand, takes like 4 hrs each. Cheers Big Mike
Old 29-03-06, 14:54
Stephen

Default Manufacturers Reply

With reference to Mike's comments I feel I have to defend my work. I am a full time dealer and manufacturer of leather flying helmets, oxygen masks etc. supplying major UK museums,the film and TV trade and have produced a large quantity if not the majority of the reproduction World War II jeep gaitors over the last 18 years both here in England and in Europe. I am responsible for the Carrier steering gaitors currently on E Bay. I am a long term military vehicle owner of some 30 years and know nothing of the finer points of Bren Gun carriers which is evident by my claim that these gaitors would fit a T16 - something which my friends ridiculed me about at the weekend and I am now aware that they have a different steering system. That said, the comment that my product is "cheaply made" is offensive, with the horsehide at over £4 a square foot which is the material clearly stated in the advert and not as Mike claims cow "suede" hide. How he can make this statement of fact is laughable. Bearing in mind that I was asked to make a pair of these gaitors for a friend's Windsor Carrier and having made the pattterns (which incidentally were taken from the remnants of an original gaitor and measurements direct form the vehicle) decided to make a pair and try them on E Bay. Being somebody who makes their living from producing quality items, it bothers me that this Forum can be used to attack a man's product and livelihood with no justification or knowledge of the item in question. I have had no communication from Mike directly regarding the gaitors and as one pair are in view of me at this moment and the others are with my friend I am at a loss as to how he can make this statement. There are far too many people who set themselves up as an an authority on a particular subject having had very little hands on experience. For instance, how many sets of original gaitors has Mike had his hands on? Presumably not that many as he has had to make a set. I am sure whilst there may be some original drawings giving the specification for the hide we all know that in wartime such items would have been made of any leather available and it is quite possible that no 2 sets of original surviving gaitors would be a perfect match. Stephen
Old 29-03-06, 17:53
T-16, C15A

Default To The Manufacturer

Stephen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to sign in and join the discussion – I only wish that it were under more friendly circumstances. I would like to thank you for undertaking such a specialized project and doing such a good job of it. As an owner and restorer of both a Universal Carrier and T-16 Carrier I suspect that your friends gave you more than sufficient going over for your misunderstanding of the steering systems involved. No one that did not know the subtleties would be interested in such a component anyway. The parts pictured look very well done, and would help complete a well-done restoration.

I will apologize for the disparaging comments that were made about these gaitors – your assessments of the level of competence of the individual that made them are quite correct. Your efforts should be rewarded, and I suspect there are others on the forum that would like to see more of your work also. Custom reproduction parts for limited production historic military vehicles can be very difficult to obtain, and anyone that offers assistance to our efforts should be applauded, not ridiculed.

Finally, I am interested in all forms of the Carrier family, and would be thankful if you passed along my contact information to the fellow undertaking the restoration of the Windsor Carrier. I have never seen one of these vehicles and am anxious to view one being restored. Please use the Private Message (“PM”) button to get to me directly.

Best regards,

Stewart
Old 29-03-06, 18:21
BIG MIKE

WOW did I hit a Vane? Didn't want to come off as these gaitors are cheaply made "sorry Charlie" , I did say they were cool looking , Pigs skin in the origanel gaitors last longer than any Horse hide,anyways, Plus rough side out leather like yours will deterate faster, Thats way thier made smooth side out, I know because I'm an Articifer in leather in 18c Military gear for the past18 years also. Maker of Brit bearskin helmets for the past 20 years so I Do know my leather mate. maybe one of the lads can post an orignal gaitor aka boot, remeber you deal with all kinds of people in this world Lighten up.

Cheers BIG MIKE
Old 29-03-06, 18:26
GM Fox I

Default Stephen

I might suggest reviewing some of BIG MIKE's previous posts. I'm rather in the category of one who thinks that if BIGG'UN MIKE is 'agin'st' you, you're probably doing it half right.

(hey BIG MIKE, I've got one one those 'Board,Blanking' nuts left if you need it...only one, mind)
Old 29-03-06, 18:30
BIG MIKE

OK Bruce I just got the screw from asbury on the blanking board will take your nut, Geez that sounded like I hust got F*cked EH? LOL How much ,ware do i send you the Greenbacks, Cheers Laddy

BIG MIKE
Old 30-03-06, 00:31
RIP

Default Dust excluders

I still have about 30-40 original excluders left,but you'll need something to trade.
Cliff
Old 30-03-06, 04:18
Bluebell

Default Stephen,

Welcome to the forum. Dont mind Big Mike too much, I think he does his best to "test" most people.
Anyhow for my two cents worth, I think that New Zealand made boots were made from deer hide,could be sheep skin but the truth is I dont know. Your boots( gaiters or what ever) look pretty good to me. I have a few NOS ones (enough for my own use) of Aust. carrier parts origin. They are a white grey/blue grey in colour and fairly fluffy. Once again yours look well made to me and quite functional.
Do you intend to make the bellows for the brake rods at the rear?
For those who dont know, your boots will work fitted to English mk 1 and 2 carriers, obviously to the Canadian Mk 1 and 2 carriers and will also fit the Australian LP2 and 2a carriers, probably the Aust LP1, and possibly some other models

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 30-03-06, 09:32
Stephen

Thankyou Lynne for your response and thankyou to the others who have responded both here on the Forum and privately. As for the steering gaitors, if these are fitted to a Windsor Carrier and if a pattern is available, then I am sure I will be making them. And of course, like the steering gaitors, I could make them out of any material. Stephen
Old 16-08-06, 05:16

Default NEED SOME

Need some of these cross tube gaitors, as soon as I get a pair the wheels can go on permanently, allowing me to move the beast, fit the donk & go for a drive (by christmas hopefully!!!!). anyone able to help.

Rob
Old 16-08-06, 13:30

Default Cross tube gators

Rob, if you contact the old seller of the cross tube gators, the will probably make you up a set. I contacted the guy in Agentina, that sells the correct mirrors, and right now he is out checking his stock. It's worth a try.

Paul
Old 16-08-06, 15:23
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hi guys. Looking at this posts and all the back and forth banter, I feel I must say something.
I've nothing to add with regards to the carrier cross tube gaitors...
I just want to say that in this hobby we are a small group of enthusiasts who should really try and get along and credit each other for a job well done rather than being critical.
While some of us are hobbyists, there are those of us who make a living from selling and reproducing mv parts and accessories.
It is easy to slam this guy or that guy on a forum, bitch about a price or a scratch or something stupid but, remember, if it weren't for some of these suppliers you wouldn't have jack-shit and would be scrounging around even longer looking for that elusive do-dad...
And, to openly slam certain suppliers on the forum is an invitation for trouble as I know many people surf this forum without comment.
Suppose I was supplying the hobby with goodies and someone was slamming me about whatever on this public forum? I know one thing for sure. The next time the same fellow wanted something from me the price would be higher if I even dealt with him at all or I would simply say "no, I don't have that. Basically piss off...
...don't cut off your nose to spite your face...
And to Big Mike, I am very friendly with most Americans, and to a fault at times for defending the way many of your countrymen act and are forseen by the rest of the world. I must say though that you personify the American stereotype that so much of the rest of the world has a distaste for.
Maybe you are half-heartedly joking but it seems to me that you have a certain knack for pissing people off...
rant over, out

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 16-08-06, 22:43

Well Said dito
Old 16-08-06, 23:45

Default not for sale

I get the feeling that not everybody is welcome here !
Old 16-08-06, 23:51

Thanks Paul for doing additional digging, have left a PM for Stephen on this site & also his Ebay ID to see if he can "knock another set up".still waiting..... They look fine to me & far better than the dust mine had turned into. I was a bit hesitant to bring this thread back to the top as it was rathar heated last time..........

Rob
Old 16-08-06, 23:53
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
And to Big Mike, I am very friendly with most Americans, and to a fault at times for defending the way many of your countrymen act and are forseen by the rest of the world. I must say though that you personify the American stereotype that so much of the rest of the world has a distaste for.
Maybe you are half-heartedly joking but it seems to me that you have a certain knack for pissing people off...
rant over, out
Hi Chris,

I don't know that you, or all the others, are aware of this, but Big Mike is no longer a member of MLU.

To all: This thread is reading a little intense here, and as I'm sure Geoff and Hanno would say if they both weren't away "Please keep it nice people. Thank you."

Karmen ... temporarily housesitting MLU while Geoff and Hanno unavailable.
Old 17-08-06, 00:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: not for sale

Quote:
Originally posted by Recymech
If anyone is ever not welcome here, they'll hear that directly from Geoff the Grand Master of MLU, and probably via email or PM, not through the public forum, as he's the big cheese who holds power of decisions and delete

Karmen.
Old 17-08-06, 04:31

Unhappy The proverbial can of worms...

I knew I should have started a new thread................... I just wanted my carrier going.............. you know broom broom squeak squeak clatter clatter.............. grin grin.

Rob
Old 17-08-06, 15:36
3RD ECHELON WKSP

robobmc, of course you are welcome here!
I usually sit back and try ot be the nice guy but I felt Big Mike needed to be put in his place.
To Karmen, I was not aware of Big Mikes departure from the forum so I guess I'm not the only one who though he was an a**h**e.
Apologies to any of my American friends who may have taken this wrongly. Better with you than against you!

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-08-06, 16:17
Vets Dottir

Well, I have an idea here ... Perhaps Hanno or Geoff, when back, will consider to do a wee bit of editing or deleting of any/some prior posts in this thread that tweaked the recent passionate and other responses the last couple of days, in case they also tweak future same reactions from others I don't want to take liberties and do that myself for this particular thread while MLU-sitting.

Also NOTE ... IF you folks back track up the thread a wee bit, and NOTE THE DATES of those prior posts, you'll notice they were done almost 5 months ago, which is about how long Big Mike has been absent from MLU.

All is well in MLU LAND this fine morning, isn't it? .................................................. ..... Carry on ....

Karmen and Ma
Old 17-08-06, 16:29
Vets Dottir

Default Re: The proverbial can of worms...

Quote:
Originally posted by robobmc
I knew I should have started a new thread................... I just wanted my carrier going.............. you know broom broom squeak squeak clatter clatter.............. grin grin.

Rob
Hi Rob, so this is all YOUR fault is it? Sheesh, what an ego (sorry, couldn't resist that cheeky comeback at you . Ma Yappy takes over sometimes ya know, even when working!)

... see my post prior to this one ... carry on in here with trying to get your carrier going (sorry it's not going for you!)

Karmen and Ma sends and ends.
Old 17-08-06, 16:33
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Well, I have an idea here ... Perhaps Hanno or Geoff, when back, will consider to do a wee bit of editing or deleting of any/some prior posts in this thread that tweaked the recent passionate and other responses the last couple of days, in case they also tweak future same reactions from others I don't want to take liberties and do that myself for this particular thread while MLU-sitting.

Also NOTE ... IF you folks back track up the thread a wee bit, and NOTE THE DATES of those prior posts, you'll notice they were done almost 5 months ago, which is about how long Big Mike has been absent from MLU.

All is well in MLU LAND this fine morning, isn't it? .................................................. ..... Carry on ....

Karmen and Ma

Aye Lass, t'is a fine mornin'!

Re: your comments; come to think of it, MLU has been much "lighter" these past 5 months!

CHIMO!
Old 17-08-06, 16:40
Vets Dottir

Default Re: not for sale

Quote:
Originally posted by Recymech
Well, it's EXTREMELY rare that someone is not welcome in here (knowing only 2 members since I've been here a few years have ever been banned) as MLU is a really great forum full of people who keep a really good tone and behavior towards each other.

YOU sir, are welcome here, so don't go away. Sorry you caught this thread in some cross fire ... and by the way, WELCOME to the forum as a new member!!!

Karmen
Old 17-08-06, 16:46
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Aye Lass, t'is a fine mornin'!

Re: your comments; come to think of it, MLU has been much "lighter" these past 5 months!

CHIMO!
T'is a fine one indeed may Darlin' Laddie-O ... verra much so.

Yes ... lighter. The kind of MLU moods and modes I'm used to and like visiting

Karmen.