MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 16-01-19, 00:01
Terry Warner

Default Gatineau Air Show, Ottawa-area, 5-6-7-8 Sept 19

The Cold War Collection has been invited by Vintage Wings of Canada to coordinate with the HMV community for static vehicle displays and support to air-side reenactments.

Vintage Wings is a class act! Their patron is a man whose support for not just warbirds, but specific airframes with Canadian flying history is unbounded. Every Sabre, Hurricane, Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair and Warhawk have undeniable Canadian provenance - and those are just the fast movers.

If you are interested, expressions to myself and Nick. We want to present a sensible plan for displays, access, and re-enacting community participation. Backwards time appreciation tells me, collected remarks reqd by end of May.
.................................................. .....................................
From Nick the Collection's chief wrench and organizer,

"Well terry,

We have the space! The idea with this show, is to move it to an event much like War and Peace , Thunder over Michigan or Redding Pa. over the next few years. We have expansion room to move the ground operations to as we expand, and that section is capable of supporting large armor.

There is an element of "Goodwood Festival of Speed" as well, as we are hosting the Montreal Jaguar Club, who, will be over on the west side. We plan to invite a different car origination each year. 2020 we are looking at the Jeep Assoc. and Chrysler Canada to get into the act."

and

"CWC is pleased to be partnering with Aero Gatineau for this years NCR Airshow at the Gatineau Airport. Unlike other years, we are creating a multi day event, and Aero Gatineau have asked CWC to coordinate the "ground side" of the event.

We are attempting the biggest mass gathering of flyable Spitfires in recent memory as part of this show

Basics on this are as follows;

1) Dates. 6-7-8 Sept ( set up thurs. 5th )
2) We are looking for a 1940's theme, while post second war equipment on site happily welcomed, the 1940's is the primary concept
3) we have been given a great area on the east field for vehicle parking / encampment with great public access.
4) Re-enactment has been fully endorsed, and we will have a secure fenced area, with good public viewing, large enough for safe heavy weapons fire, and ground simulation.
5) Camping area is available in a treed area, and we are working on a portable shower system
6) Aero Gatineau to provide meals for participants, so we will ask for firm numbers by July so we can plan the logistics
7) the evening of the 6th will be a VIP and crew night with period music, bar tent service and a limited airshow

For the reenactment community, as we don't usually as a museum do this ( but will be providing a 1942 M3 Half Track and a functional Quad 50 for this event) , please consult with each of your community groups and present an ops / safety plan to us, this of course is an airport, an we have a few layers to run approvals of script through. I can provide field measurements if needed , but a reenactment has been fully endorsed by the "air side" Aero Gatineau

Please feel free to circulate the above, and any questions can be fired off to us here at CWC and we will get back to you promptly at

thecoldwarcollection@gmail.com

Many thanks and happy new year

Nick Tilgner
Curator / Crew Chief
The Cold War Collection

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 17-01-19, 01:24

Thanks Terry, I will have to draw that to the attention of the Club President and the event coordinator and members of the HK101 Display Team for the Kettenkrad owners Club of Canada (Ottawa chapter).

Last edited by James P; 20-01-19 at 16:33.
Old 17-01-19, 03:10

Default Sounds interesting.......

Will need to chat with the two other mouseketeers from the barn but would be nice to attend. Will confirm.

Bob C
Canada
Old 17-01-19, 06:34
Terry Warner

Default participation in Gatineau

Both the Kettenrads and CMP builders are target demographics. The little half-tracks get a lot of attention for all kinds of reason. And not just because they are so scarce. The Hammond Barn crowd are kindred spirits to the devoted warbird restorers and maintainers.

Please share the announcement and get back to me.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 19-01-19, 01:19

Thanks again for the heads up Terry. I brought this to the attention of the V-Prez who assured me he would bring it to the attention of the National President before the next AGM in the spring.
Old 19-01-19, 01:59
Terry Warner

Default Gatineau air show

Ack!

Gunner Mike has jumped in with both feet and initiated a sidebar conversation about appearance money (ie for fuel) and other volunteer supports. MTF

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 19-08-19, 00:33

Default Update please.......

Aero 2019 seems to be focused entirely on the airshow side.........

What is happening with the re-enactors and vehicle display........

Who can we contact that as the lastest information on registration, camping facilities, toilets, showers, food, etc

I have looked at aerial photos and I am wondering where the vehicles will be located in relationship to the airport..... camping by the trees.....???

The absence of current information and a point of contact is worrysome if one is to attend with equipment.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 22-08-19, 00:59

Tick tok, tick tok, tick tok, tick tok................
Old 22-08-19, 21:26

Default Spro-o-i-i-n-n-g......

.....main spring just broke.........

I am afraid that is all we are going to hear about this one!!!!!!
Canada
Old 23-08-19, 03:17

I would like to step in and say that Terry has some other more pressing personal issues of a higher function order that he is dealing with and I don't feel comfortable sharing what those are but I don't mind picking up the slack as a fellow CWC volunteer member.

I will try and get more info out for you unless he replies before hand.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 23-08-19, 03:42

Default Thanks for jumping in.......

I wrote to Terry( I understand) Stuart and Nick himself at the CWC but have heard Nuttin"

Current promo web site makes no mention of military vehicles or re-enactment or camping.....but the Montreal Jaguar club will be there.

The Air show is on ....... but is there anything else???

A number of the Kingston guys were asking the same question last weekend.

Thanks

Bob C
Canada
Old 25-08-19, 03:55
Terry Warner

Default I got the messages

Gatineau Airshow is still on!

I was with the CWC this weekend getting our displays ready, talking about arrival times, where and how to place our vehicles, and about camping etc.

I direct everyone with questions to Nick on the Contact Us page of the www.coldwarcollection.com site. He's the point of contact to the organizers. I'm as much of a go-between as Robin.

The show is airplanes. The ground vehicles are gravy in between flying demonstrations. The CWC has tremendous fun with the audiences, and we let people touch and climb in our displays. If a HMV owner wants to come for one day, fine. Two days, better. Three days, fantastic. But please go through Nick to identify yourself and get the latest.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 25-08-19, 15:46

Default Thanks Terry....

Wrote to Nick last week after posting on MLU....never got a reply......

Not impressed ....... gravy is lumpy!!!!!!

Bob C.
Canada
Old 26-08-19, 17:00

Default Latest communications.....

That’s true

What’s going on is lots of back chatter, but know one has directly confirmed, so we don’t have numbers

What we need Bob is instructions on when the ground exhibits need to / should arrive, what gate and how they get processed in, departure times and grounds location

Meals ?

Once this is known, we can distribute

Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2019, at 9:47 PM, terry.warner terry.warner <terry.warner@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Bob and Nick

The questions are out there for attendees at the airport - report times at the gate; pass information; show line location; camping; overnight storage; on site feeding arrangements (ie meal tickets or feed ourselves?); show organizers expectations of HMV operators; etc

Can the two of you correspond on this.

CWC pers will get our orders through other channels.

Terry

AND MY RESPONSE...

It seems to me that expanding the airshow from one to 3 or 4 days may have exceeded their administrative capacity.

The total lack of follow up from the January invitation with any kind of information, reminder, tentative plans, etc. seems to indicate a poorly orchestrated affair...... unless you are WITHIN the flyboy circuit.

At this late date to have NO information confirmed on key question for vehicle demonstrators / re-enactors is very worry some....... 10 days before the event....7 working days before the event ......if no financial plans have been made for extra security of vehicle overnight, no portable potties or wash station, no additional food arrangements .....................all complicated by no registration number of attendees to establish numbers and projected costs because NO one bothered to beat the bush and encourage people to attend................. sound to me like too little too late and a prefect receipt for frustrating military vehicle re-enactors and reinforcing that they are just lumpy gravy to the airshow.

All we need now is to have the QPP show up and check on all the driven Quebec registered army vehicles for invalid registration of the said vehicles after the deadline date of August 23rd 2019 or all Quebec vehicles trailered to the event with out the mandatory "parking" plate registration properly affixed.

So much potential, such a great idea .......... so little thinking!!!!!!!

So like the loosing football team..... there is always next year.

Bob C.

Sadly that is "IT" for me.
Canada
Old 07-09-19, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
That’s true

What’s going on is lots of back chatter, but know one has directly confirmed, so we don’t have numbers

What we need Bob is instructions on when the ground exhibits need to / should arrive, what gate and how they get processed in, departure times and grounds location

Meals ?

Once this is known, we can distribute

Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2019, at 9:47 PM, terry.warner terry.warner <terry.warner@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Bob and Nick

The questions are out there for attendees at the airport - report times at the gate; pass information; show line location; camping; overnight storage; on site feeding arrangements (ie meal tickets or feed ourselves?); show organizers expectations of HMV operators; etc

Can the two of you correspond on this.

CWC pers will get our orders through other channels.

Terry

AND MY RESPONSE...

It seems to me that expanding the airshow from one to 3 or 4 days may have exceeded their administrative capacity.

The total lack of follow up from the January invitation with any kind of information, reminder, tentative plans, etc. seems to indicate a poorly orchestrated affair...... unless you are WITHIN the flyboy circuit.

At this late date to have NO information confirmed on key question for vehicle demonstrators / re-enactors is very worry some....... 10 days before the event....7 working days before the event ......if no financial plans have been made for extra security of vehicle overnight, no portable potties or wash station, no additional food arrangements .....................all complicated by no registration number of attendees to establish numbers and projected costs because NO one bothered to beat the bush and encourage people to attend................. sound to me like too little too late and a prefect receipt for frustrating military vehicle re-enactors and reinforcing that they are just lumpy gravy to the airshow.

All we need now is to have the QPP show up and check on all the driven Quebec registered army vehicles for invalid registration of the said vehicles after the deadline date of August 23rd 2019 or all Quebec vehicles trailered to the event with out the mandatory "parking" plate registration properly affixed.

So much potential, such a great idea .......... so little thinking!!!!!!!

So like the loosing football team..... there is always next year.

Bob C.

Sadly that is "IT" for me.
And that right there in highlights hits the nail on the head. Sad that this events ground participation is so cliquish/clanish and self serving, but hey.........this is Ottawa after all. On some level I was keen to represent my club but was under orders by our club CCO to not beg for info as its their "big gig", and they can do as they please !

Last edited by James P; 08-09-19 at 13:39.
Old 08-09-19, 16:37
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Agree on so many levels but hey guys, why get so upset for not attending a show where it seems the organization is so terrible and you can “come if you want”. Why waste time or energy...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers