MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 19-07-19, 18:22

Default OMVA - Frontenac Show, Aug 17-18, Odessa Ontario

As I am sure many of your know, the FMVA merged with the OMVA last year.

Don't forget to attend our show in Odessa on Aug 17th/18th. We always have a great selection of tanks, APCs, Ferrets, Jeeps, Humvees and other fabulous military vehicles.

The Odessa Bivouac 2019 will be held August 17-18th, 2019 in Odessa (Kingston) Ontario at the Odessa Fairgrounds.

Dates:
Friday, August 16th, 2019 : Historic Military Vehicles arrive for setup.
Saturday, August 17th 2019: open to public 09:00 am - 16:00 pm.
Sunday August 18th, 2019 : open to public 09:00 am - 16:00 pm

Events: There will be many types of Historic Military Vehicles and Military re-enactors with displays & activities. Flea Market and swap on site.

-There will be a canteen open for breakfast, Lunch and coffee, etc..
-Visitor parking on site.
-Owners of Historic Military Vehicles and Military Re-enactors with displays can camp on site.

Admission: Adults $5.00; Children under 12 Free.

If you aren't an OMVA member, you will be asked to join the OMVA to display your vehicle at the show.
Should you not wish to join we would ask that you donate the same amount as the membership as that is how we pay for the event, BBQ, etc.

For more information you can contact me at sfrc@sympatico.ca

We are hoping to have over 60 vehicles this year....last year we had over 40.

Ryan Harriman

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.

Last edited by Ryan Harriman; 23-07-19 at 19:01.
Old 22-07-19, 01:32

^"If you aren't an OMVA member, you will be asked to join the OMVA to display your vehicle at the show"

So what if a person just wants to roll in and show a vehicle for a day but has no interest in being a OMVA member ??
Old 22-07-19, 04:41

OMVA members are entitled to many benefits. The fee to join our club goes to pay for insurance, the magazine etc. If you just want to come out and display your MV which is the same goal as the rest of the members, why not be a part of the club?

Last edited by Les Fisher; 22-07-19 at 18:23.
Old 22-07-19, 13:43

Sorry having to "join the club" to public display a vehicle for a day is just not in the cards, have a good show.
Old 22-07-19, 17:08
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Forcing Membership, not cool...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-07-19, 18:15

Default Interpretation

Ryan says "asked".......No arm twisting there. Maybe Ryan and Les mean

exactly that. I would hope that people bringing a vehicle and

enjoying the meet would at least be interested in acquiring Club

membership.

Peter S
Old 22-07-19, 18:23

Guys ! No one is says joining the OMVA is mandatory. Ryan's post says you will be asked to join or you could say encouraged to join.
These fine people that are renting the site are hoping to have enough of us attend to make the event successful. It also takes your money to run the club and in turn we try to find as many ways as possible to show you a positive return on your membership dues. Please support your friends and fellow MV owners and come out. You will for sure have a good time. The fee to join the OMVA is not going to hurt anyone’s bottom line . Let’s not make this about money but let’s also not forget it takes money and peoples combined efforts to make events happen. Please consider coming out to support these guys that are doing such a great job!
Hope to see you there.
President Of the OMVA Les Fisher
Old 22-07-19, 18:39

When we did the show under the FMVA we always had people become members or make donation of the same amount of the membership if they didn’t want to join.

That money goes towards paying for the site, the huge BBQ we put on for everyone displaying, printing flyers and the insurance.

We don’t collect money because we want too, we do because we have to pay for the event.

Ryan

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 22-07-19, 18:58

The FMVA no longer exists...in all actuality it never really existed in the first place. It was an informal gathering of friends that grew to the point it either needed to become its own entity or merge with another group. We voted to merge with the OMVA for the insurance benefits, the grow the organization and many other reasons. If you had an FMVA membership it would have expired at the beginning of the event in Odessa as that was always our renewal date.

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 22-07-19, 19:01

Each area where the OMVA is going to sanction or sponsor the event, the OMVA will supply event insurance and display our banner. If the odd attendee is not a member then so be it. That will be up to the event organizers. My first comment was why not join?
The event organizers will decide how they wish to run their event. At Aquino for instance you get free admittance when you arrive with your MV. Also the free BBQ is met for you Joe member ! However we have invitees as well. We want the event to see members and non members to attend and enjoy them selves.
Once again please come out to support the guys that have worked so hard to plan this for all of us like minded MV owners!
Old 23-07-19, 00:45

Mr. Fedak, the Chief Communications Officer for the Kettenkrad Owners Club of Canada (Ottawa) has authorized me to reply to your post in total agreement and support. On a side note as Volkfest seems to not be on are you interested in doing a car show in Barrhaven that day ?

[/IMG]

Last edited by James P; 23-07-19 at 01:15.
Old 23-07-19, 01:40

Default OMVA Frontenac Military Vehicle Event - Bivouac 2019

All is being said Respectfully and in Good Spirit. Over the years I’ve read numerous posts/responses here on MLU threads that tell me there are many folks out there who care about our hobby/interest, even at the expense of possibly being the target of negative thought when posting such responses on a public forum such as MLU or even Facebook. I’m one of them. We all want to move things forward and make this hobby/interest better for everyone. It’s very easy to read tone and thought into someone’s public comment/post…one of the risks of doing this via the internet but we all care.

Having said this, please remember that the purpose of the initial post in this thread…OMVA Frontenac Show or Bivouac 2019 is to remind everyone of the event and encourage all to come out, meet likeminded people, participate, show off your vehicle and most importantly….have fun!

Call it preserving history, having fun or whatever you want…none of it is fictitious and there’s a cost in doing this. As already pointed out by both Les and Ryan, the membership fees that we collect pay for things such as liability insurance, event venues, BBQs, trophies, CMP Magazine and all things that make these events and/or contribute towards making our hobby a success in Ontario. Car shows or similar type events that I’ve attended where vehicles are displayed with no charge to the vehicle owner are usually in the parking lot of a plaza (static display) or perhaps an event where a corporate sponsor or some other organization has covered the cost/arranged for the venue. These are great and certainly worth supporting/attending. OMVA events such as Georgetown/Acton, Coe Hill, Milton, Aquino and Odessa are our initiatives and have costs associated with making them happen. Again, it’s the membership fees we collect that cover those costs.

We encourage everyone to come out, have fun and consider the benefits of being an OMVA member. We’re sincerely doing our best to answer your questions and concerns but it’s difficult to do this accurately when not speaking face to face or responding via an internet public forum.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 23-07-19, 04:03

I am an OMVA member and am going if possible.

Events have costs, I am happy to help support that financial burden if asked.

The FMVA to OMVA transfer is ancient history as well detailed by Ryan.

No one is singled out as not paying, it is a shame if we all don't chip in but that is the reality of life and should not be the reason not to attend. The more vehicles and people who attend in as many different flavours adds to the event.

Hope to see as many people who make up this hobby as can attend. A great little event carried off the backs of a very few people who deserve our gratitude for doing all that work.

Thanks to Ryan Harriman and Rob and Paul Hudson and Gary McCurdie and all those whose names I forget for doing all the work and making us feel welcome.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 23-07-19, 17:53

I meant that the FMVA never existed from a legal perspective which was one of the reasons we voted to merge with the OMVA.

The Frontenac Battalion does exist from a legal perspective as it is the legal name of my prop rental business and vehicle collection.

I'm not here to fight about this, I am here to promote the event in Odessa.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
Ryan, I agree that from a "legal" perspective, the FMVA was an informal gathering of friends that had a shared passion, who for many years planned; organized; and held various events; public displays; Remembrance services and had comradery in the Historic Military Vehicle hobby. To say " it never really existed in the first place " is a bit harsh, and some may consider it disrespectful of the group.

If a self named group does not exist, does this also include " The Frontenac Battalion " ?

Anyways, this is a fun hobby, people can make their own fictitious "battalion"; fictitious re-enactment regiments; and fictitious Historic Military Vehicle groups. Even if they are fictitious it does not mean they do not exist.

Ref: http://canadiansoldiers.com/othermed...eenactment.htm

Ref: http://www.royalyorkers.ca/history_of_reenacting.php

I consider the fictitious re-enactors that attend the Bivouac events to add significantly to the public display of military history. The various re-enactors may not be credentialed; approved; and legal entities; but they sure contribute to the event.

I also have my own fictitious "War & Peace Collection" consisting of a 1986 Canadian Bombardier Iltis; 1992 M101 CDN2 1/4 ton trailer; and a 1986 VW Vanagon Westfalia 2.1L 2wd "hippy bus". I did an event recently at the Diefenbunker in Ottawa, as part of the Ottawa Open Doors weekend.

Ref: http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30105

This event over the years has attracted all sorts of fictitious folks who do not really exist. We still have fun...…

Cheers!

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.

Last edited by Ryan Harriman; 23-07-19 at 18:13.
Old 23-07-19, 18:12

This years event, BBQ, advertising, etc was paid for by a portion of last years gate fees, dues, etc and next years event will be paid for by those things as well. For the most part this is how we have always paid for the event. Some years we have only put a deposit down for the venue and paid the rest with the next years funds.

Everyone acknowledges the hard work that the FMVA and other groups that attend the Odessa event have put in. The members from Quebec have been instrumental in growing the event as well....they bring some really cool stuff as well. Jonathan Brawshaw brought his Vickers tank reproduction from Alberta last year...that's a lot of mileage to put on a vehicle to attend. Everyone donates their time and resources to make this event happen. I'm not going to list each member but everyone brings something different to the group and helps out in some way.

There are no issues with the event rental etc. The insurance certificate has already been provided to them and all is good. All people have to do is show up, have fun and eat lots of BBQ Saturday night.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the show,

Ryan

Quote:
I agree. In the case of Odessa Bivouac 2019, the cost of the venue for this event was paid for, by the members of FMVA out of their own revenues in 2018 from previous events. I and the majority of FMVA voted to have the merger with OMVA. I and the majority of FMVA members, also voted to make the significant cash investment to book the venue for the Bivouac 2019 event. It is my understanding that a check was cut in August 2018 to pay for the venue being used. This was done to ensure continuity.

I am not aware that OMVA has, through fees collected by current/past members of FMVA, paid for the venue. Please confirm. The cash value of the venue far exceeds the financial value of the liability insurance. Unfortunately in the transition from FMVA to OMVA, communication has not been optimal.

I believe, in the interests of transparency, that OMVA should acknowledge the hard work of the current/past members of the FMVA who paid for and organized the venue to carry on the tradition of this event in 2019.

I will make some assumptions. FMVA paid for the venue in August 2018. The contract for the site of the agricultural society was with FMVA. OMVA issued/or had issued the Insurance Liability certificate to someone or group. According to previous information, it was FMVA. Now it is said that FMVA does not exist. This is problematic.

I am sure all of these issues will be worked out, and Bivouac 2019 will be a fantastic event.

Cheers!

Addendum: I found the FMVA minutes from August 2018

FMVA MEETING MINUTES
Date- August 18, 2018
Location – Odessa Fairgrounds
In attendance – Names deleted....
• This meeting was a special session with the sole purpose of conducting a vote to determine the path forward for the FMVA.
• Considerable debate took place by most members debating the merits of the latest proposal in a “round table” discussion. It became apparent that individual interpretations of the proposal were widely varied.
• Ryan Harriman then read out the latest proposal from the OMVA for those members who were not familiar with the details.
• The vote then proceeded; this consisted of marking individual selections by using a marker on a white-board.
• The final tally was 7 votes to remain “as is”, and 16 votes were made to join the OMVA. XXXXXX and YYYYYY were forced to leave early and their votes were cast by Peter Duggan.
• When the results were announced, there was a call put forward by Peter Duggan for a volunteer to sit on the OMVA executive board to represent our interests. Ryan Harriman volunteered for this position and was selected by general acclamation.
• The meeting was then closed.
Note – This will be my last official communication as a result of our new structure. This year’s Bivouac was the most successful to date with over 35 MVs in attendance. Gary McCurdie, was able to pay in full the 1,500$ fee to the Odessa fairgrounds for 2019. See you there.

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.

Last edited by Ryan Harriman; 23-07-19 at 18:54.
Old 23-07-19, 18:52

The FMVA merged with the OMVA for a number of reasons. For me it was mainly due to insurance and liability. Last years event was technically the SFRC Military Vehicle show on paper as I had the insurance for my company extended to cover the event. As my company does numerous off site activities I can't extend it to all of them as I am limited to the number I do per year.

The FMVA membership, who I have been a member since the second year if my memory serves me correctly, has always done an great job organizing the events, shows etc but we grew to the size that we either needed to merge with another group or become an official real organization. What started as an informal gathering of friends tossing money into a hat to pay for a BBQ and a location to gather once a year grew into something much bigger. I am thrilled that everyone's hard word paid off and we created an awesome event that people from the east coast to Alberta attend. The side effect was that we created something so big that we had too, has mentioned above, merge or create our own independent group.

I wouldn't say that politics is the death of every hobby. The death of a hobby is the success of your hobby. When your hobby grows past a certain point, which our group did, there are certain liabilities, legal issues etc that come with it.

My company started off as a hobby, now I am one of the largest independent sporting goods stores in the country. I know all about the extra issues that arise when your hobby grows.

As to the comment about the FMVA reaching out for help from someone and being told to fend for themselves, I am not aware of this and I have been a member since the second year. I do know I have asked the OMVA exec for advise over the years and they have always been helpful. Everyone I have asked from any group has always been helpful. We're all here to make the hobby grow, make new friends, have fun and drive our old green vehicles around.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Personally I thought it refreshing that a new group was created and doing their own thing, and very successfully at that (FMVC)
Seemed to me that much of the strife that had or was happening elsewhere was gone for once. I know that the Frontenac group had reached out for help and were essentially left to fend for themselves...
Such a shame to end up with the old “if you can’t beat them, join them mentality”, as it seems the current management has simply waited it out until the viability of the new group waned.
Politics, the death of every hobby.

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.

Last edited by Ryan Harriman; 23-07-19 at 18:59.
Old 23-07-19, 19:11

Now that we've dealt with all of that, onto the most important issue, FOOD!

I anyone coming has any dietary issues...ie no red meat, no meat, or something like that please message me.

I'm going to pick up some veggie burgers as well in case someone doesn't eat meat.

We'll have hamburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, some smoked brisket, pop, water, chips, salads, etc. Basically something similar to the BBQ's we've had other years. It is usually a pretty good feast.

Bring a lawn chair or two if you can, we always seem to be short on those.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event. If you aren't able to bring a vehicle to display and just want to stop by the BBQ Saturday night you are more than welcome too. Just toss $5 in the bucket to help cover the costs of the food.

Ryan

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 24-07-19, 00:55

At this time we plan to continue holding the event in Odessa unless it becomes a non viable location for some reason. It has a canteen, bathrooms, camping space and room to drive around. Now that we have merged with the OMVA insurance is not an issue.

We haven’t posted on Facebook as much as usual lately but there is an event listing for the show. I am running a Facebook promotion for it which will end up costing me about $1000 that my company covers each year. So far 17,500 people have viewed the post and 515 have indicated they are going or show interest in going. 110 people have shared the post as well.

If you haven’t done so I would ask that you share the event on Facebook and invite your Facebook friends.

Ryan

Quote:
Ryan,
Thanks for all of the clarifications!

It sounds to me from your perspective, that going forward that there would be merit in having this annual event, on your property.

This would have several major benefits:

There would not be a requirement to pay for the venue, as you already own the location and have the required space. You would probably be able to use your current liability insurance as it is on site, and would not use up the off site limitations. It would also reach out to the your clients in the established sporting goods area of your business. This is a great population that may be interested in the hobby. As you already have an Internet presence and a web page, you would be able to co-market this event. All of the above seems to be a win-win for the hobby. I remember that in the past you had reached out to OMVA to host some web based information.

The Facebook page of the FMVA has been underutilized and this "free" social media site would be of interest to the younger Historic Military Vehicle folks.

So looking forward, the event may experience some changes in venue and methods. I have always been impressed with the ability of the folks in the FMVA, now the OMVA Frontenac group to put on such an amazing event. That was why I joined in August 2015.

It sounds like to me that things would work best for everyone moving forward to explore various options to commit to change; look at the pros and cons of the current venue; and increase the use of social media/Internet.

Your thoughts?

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43