MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-06-07, 12:00
C Mandville

Default RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Hi

I am helping out a friend who re-enacts RE Bomb disposal. Can you tell me if there was a Canadian RCE unit that did the same work?

If there was would they have worn a bomb disposal badge on the BD sleeve?

any web links appritiated

Cliff
Old 07-06-07, 01:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Quote:
Originally posted by CMandville
Hi

I am helping out a friend who re-enacts RE Bomb disposal. Can you tell me if there was a Canadian RCE unit that did the same work?

Cliff
Cliff, that's a good question regarding R.C.E. Bomb Disposal units. In all my research on Royal Canadian Engineers I've never come across mention of such a Canadian unit. I've heard of Field Companies, Field Park Companies, Stores sections, Mechanized Equipment Sections, Port Operation Companies, Inland Water Transport Operationf Companies, Railway Operating Companies, Assault Squadrons, Bridging Companies, etc. etc. but I've never heard of a purely Bomb Disposal Section in the R.C.E.s The Brits had many Bomb Disposal companies within the R.E.s, the first of which were formed within weeks of the declaration of war. By 1940/41 Britain had 10,000 soldiers involved in bomb disposal so I imagine they had no need for Canadian bomb disposers. However, having said all this we can be sure that Canadians were trained in E.O.D., especially demining. I just don't know if they were in specific, dedicated Bomb Disposal sections.
As for your question regarding the badge, Bomb disposers had a different badge than the flaming bomb we're all familiar with and still in use today. In WW II the Bomb Disposal Badge was a stylized WW I aerial bomb worn on the lower left sleeve approximately 6" above the end of the cuff and above any good conduct chevrons. In the modern Canadian Army, we wear the flaming bomb to at the same location to indicate the wearer is HA, HB, or HX trained. In WW II a flaming bomb badge above a soldiers chevron(s) indicated he was an Engineer.
Not a definitive answer for you Cliff, but I hope this info helps somewhat. Derek.
Old 07-06-07, 03:27
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
.......to indicate the wearer is HA, HB, or HX trained.
Please explain?
Old 07-06-07, 04:08
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Please explain?
Sure Tony. There are various levels of EOD training that have been standardized for Commonwealth and NATO countries.

"HA" or EOD Basic trained means the soldier has basic EOD training and is familiar with EOR (Explosive Ordnance Recognition), IEDs, and the S.A.N.D.I. protocol (Stop, Assess, Note, Drawback, Inform) This course is taught at CFSEME, CFB Borden, Ontario.

"HB" has two classes: EOD Phase II (SURFACE) and EOD Phase II (NAVY) for Clearance Divers where you learn to handle plastic explosives, det cord, etc. and learn to blow in place. You also learn to use the mine suit and equipment such as the Disrupter. HB courses are taught at the U.S. Naval EOD School and at Eglin A.F.B.

"HX" is an advanced course in Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons. It is a 2 week course also taught at the U.S. Naval EOD School and Eglin A.F.B. There is an advanced 4 week HX course taught in the U.K. at the Army School of Ammunition in Kineton, U.K.

There are other "H" courses taught, but these are the big three for Canadian Engineers. I could go into greater detail, but this is it in a nutshell.
Old 07-06-07, 13:14
C Mandville

Hi Derek

Very helpful, I did suspect that the Canadians did not have a UXB Badge as it is a way battle honour, in all the photographs I have of my grandfather he is not wearing a trade badge of any kind, but from his papers he is defiantly a driver mechanic and ran a Garage in Cean during 44/45.

The reason I ask is I am mucking in with some RE reenactors and they suggested I should get the badge.

I know the British were more in to badges on BD then the Canadian Forces, and as the RE Bomb badge is a battle honour and not a trade badge I was sure it was specific to the British force only.

There is a WWII UXB trade Badge but this is only worn by the Home guard as far as I can tell.

Cliff
Old 08-06-07, 00:21
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Hi Derek

The reason I ask is I am mucking in with some RE reenactors and they suggested I should get the badge.

Cliff
Well, they can't be all bad if they're muckin' about as Engineers!

Give them all a great big "CHIMO!" for me!
Old 08-06-07, 00:37
Derek Heuring

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMandville
Hi Derek

Cliff
[/QUOTE

P.S. Cliff, I'm looking for two or three pairs of the King's crown badge with blue (for Engineers) backing. Any chance you or your mates might have some to spare? I've got lots of spare Royal Canadian Engineer patches, Canada flashes, service ribbons, etc., etc. to trade or I'll pay cash if preferred. Thanks, Derek.
Old 26-10-07, 20:08
Derek Heuring

Default Re: RCE and Bomb disposal info needed

Quote:
Hi

Cliff
Cliff, I knew if I looked hard enough I'd eventually find a decent pic of the WW II EOD trade badge et voila!
Attached Images