MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-11, 20:34

Default disposal centres

Hi

I am trying to track down the coded location of a British MOD disposal centre. Its turned up on a census card for a Humber. If ASC means Ashchurch, where would BRN be as a location?

thanks in advance if you can help with this..
regards
Nick
Old 02-12-11, 23:27

A fountain of information in the shape of either Richard Farrant or Clive Elliot will likely be along soon to answer your question . . . . .

R
Old 03-12-11, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Bullock View Post
Hi

I am trying to track down the coded location of a British MOD disposal centre. Its turned up on a census card for a Humber. If ASC means Ashchurch, where would BRN be as a location?

thanks in advance if you can help with this..
regards
Nick
Hi Nick,

I was puzzling this before Robin replied. At first I thought bit was Broughton, but then realised the Vehicle Depot was correctly named Church Broughton and the initials CBR. Unless of course, someone entered up the details and put their own interpretation. I have searched though a list of vehicle depots and cannot see any that line up, unless maybe it was an overseas depot.

Unless it was COD Branston ? The abbreviation could fit, ..........................COD: Central Ordnance Depot

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 03-12-11 at 00:05. Reason: extra para
Old 03-12-11, 00:31

Hi Richard

thanks for the reply, I posted the question because its a code that I have not seen before. the vehicle registration also seemed a little odd to me being a postwar ZB registration No. On the contract card from deepcut whence this information came many of the other ZB vehicles on the same card were MELF and BAOR, with a small number UK based.

I did speak to Clive earlier, his suggestion was that... "in the late 1950s one of places (for disposals) was 41 "A" Vehicle Depot RAOC Burn, Yorkshire." This is apparently near Selby on the A1. the vehicle itself was registered in Manchester, not a million miles away. So that maybe a possibility.

Something else that struck me on the Census card was that the release date of 1958 was a good couple of years later than all the other vehicles on the card and indeed the vehicle itself, a Humber Box underwent an 'S' class rebuild?? in April 1955. I'm still unsure what this means, but it does to me suggest that it was being cared for by some one!!! why was it not just struck off like the others?

Anyways

thanks againn for your help, if you find an endless source of rear wheel cylinders then that would be great!!

kind regards

Nick
Old 03-12-11, 00:37

OK Nick, if I come across any other info will pass it on. Re. the cylinders, will keep a look out.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor