MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-07-22, 14:57
Brian Asbury

Default One-burner cook stove

I have this one- burner cook stove. It is stored in a metal tin (the lid is missing). Broad arrow marked, 1945. There are nomanufacturers markings stamped into any of the metal parts. Just the ink stamping as shown in the photo. Perhaps the ink stamp “AC 5990” is a manufacturers part number. Can anyone identify a model or maker?
Attached Thumbnails
C9CD0434-24CB-4542-8C1C-4B22660E5D86.jpg   0D699B49-CF35-40B7-9B50-A82477BFDFCE.jpg  
Old 13-07-22, 15:32
Terry Warner

I see a strong resemblance to the USGI M1950 Mountain Stove and the civilian Coleman Peak series of the late 1970s. Only so many ways to turn fuel into fire.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 13-07-22, 16:26

Default On-Burner Cook Stove

You have a 1945 dated British version of a Mountain Stove or Stoves, Individual, Cooking. AC 5990 was the Ordnance Stock Code for the stove.
Old 13-07-22, 17:49

Is this the stove. https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...hurlock-stove/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2kIfIZUwU
Old 13-07-22, 19:04
Brian Asbury

Thank you everyone for the info on this Hurlock stove. We don't use the term paraffin much here in Canada but from the video it seems that he used "lamp oil" in the fuel tank. I think the pre-heat was probably done with alcohol. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 14-07-22, 05:18
Frank

Back in the day cooking with a kerosene Svea stove I used methyl hydrate to prime, and it worked very well. I still have the instructions for lighting this stove which I could photograph if you need it.
Old 14-07-22, 05:19
Terry Warner

The Swedish SVEA stoves have a tank with a filler and pump, and the burner is screwed into a fitting in a dimple on the top. The wizardry of lighting a SVEA involves an eyedropper squirt of raw fuel into the dimple, lighting it on fire, and warming the generator and burner. There is always a lot of flame, smoke and soot, but the fuel heats enough to operate the burner. And, make sure the filler cap is secure. Best done by someone who has not been drinking, or in very cold temperatures.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 15-07-22, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Thank you everyone for the info on this Hurlock stove. We don't use the term paraffin much here in Canada but from the video it seems that he used "lamp oil" in the fuel tank. I think the pre-heat was probably done with alcohol. Any suggestions appreciated.
Don't hold me to this, but that appears to work identical to many camping stoves like the aforementioned Coleman and Swedish stoves. To my knowledge they all use a single fuel source. Typically a "white gas" or "camping fuel" Coleman's own brand is readily available in the US. With the tank full and pumped up, opening the valve will induce LIQUID fuel to come out of the burner and run down into the priming cup. Close the valve, light off that fuel, it will heat up the generator that will cause the fuel to vaporize, open the valve and off the lit fuel from the priming cup VAPOR fuel will come out of the burner and be ignited.

Matt
Old 15-07-22, 05:18
Bluebell

So, we have a bunch of names for various fuels. These things seem to vary a bit around the world, so some clarity is required to stop someone putting petrol in a kero appliance.

Paraffin would be the same as kerosene of which there are various grades like lighting and jet fuel.

White spirits which equates to NL gas (non leaded)or Coleman fuel. I think this is referred to as Naptha and (mentioned above) White gas.

So, What is lamp oil? Kero again?
When you are talking Alcohol (in this context) What exactly do you mean?
There is mention of Methyl hydrate. I assume this is methylated spirits?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 15-07-22, 05:30
Frank

Kerosene, paraffin, lamp oil and coal oil are all the same thing that come in various grades.
White gas, Naptha and Coleman fuel are also all the same but are different than kerosene, and most definitely should not be put in a kerosene stove such as the Svea. This might be dangerous.
Methyl hydrate, methylated spirits, methanol and wood alcohol are the same thing, and a small capful in the cylinder can be handy for starting stubborn 2 stroke motors as well as priming the Sveas. I used to use it on the old Elan Skidoo’s and now every season starting an ancient lawnmower at the cabin.

Last edited by WpgBinocular; 15-07-22 at 05:41.
Old 15-07-22, 11:27

Default Varying names for fuel

I have the impression that there are (were?) a variety of names for fuels used in diesel engines too...
Old 15-07-22, 17:50

From Steve Darby on the WW1-WW2 British Rations Facebook group. Here's directions still intact on an original stove. I sit corrected. It's quite apparent that two types of fuel are used. So this is certainly different from a "Coleman Stove" style cooker.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
stove.jpg  
Old 11-08-22, 12:26

Default WW2 Joke

An airman from a stricken aircraft was unable to open his 'chute and as he was falling to earth he spied a fellow coming up toward him. As they passed each other the airman yelled, 'Do know anything about parachutes?' His skyward bound compatriot yelled back, 'No! Do you know anything about petrol stoves?'

David
Old 11-08-22, 20:54
Bluebell

Boom!..................Splat!...................Sp lat!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....