MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-10-04, 13:12
Vets Dottir

Lightbulb Trick or Treat

It's THAT time again ... and I haven't found a costume yet Whatever shall I wear :

says ... watch out for the little creatures tonight and keep them safe ... check that candy!

Enjoy and costume parties you go to ... or dressing up to hand out treats to the kids I used to enjoy it all with mine
Old 31-10-04, 19:18
Richard Notton

Default Re: Trick or Treat

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
It's THAT time again ... and I haven't found a costume yet Whatever shall I wear :
And. . . . . . . . . .its Mrs Notton's birthday. . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 31-10-04, 19:38
Vets Dottir

Cool Mrs. Notton

Happy Birthday
Mrs. Notton
Happy Birthday To YOU!

Karmen
Old 31-10-04, 21:46
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Mrs. Notton

I'll second that...
hip hip hurrah!

Hanno
Old 01-11-04, 00:46
Richard Notton

Default Re: Mrs. Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir

Happy Birthday
Mrs. Notton
Happy Birthday To YOU
Mrs Notton thanks you and Hanno both, I have temporarily hidden her broomstick.

I am having trouble with my ADSL, there is a fault on my line and the crackling is so bad I cannot receive phone calls and the net connection is therefore very intermittent.

Of course, having reported it to BT on Friday, they tried to convince me it is my private internal house wiring, but when I said I'd disconnected that and looked across their incoming pair in isolation with a 600 ohm DC isolated transformer and the oscilloscope showed the noise, the girly had an "engineer" call back.

He tried the same, but finally agreed it may well be the street cabinet to house line as they can only analyse up to the cabinet

The first appointment is Wednesday 13:00 to 18:00. . . . . . .

R.
Old 01-11-04, 06:31
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Mrs. Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623

I am having trouble with my ADSL,.......

R.
You're Welcome Mrs. R.

Am sorry to hear about your server troubles ...and the long wait before its dealt with

Lil Ms. PW/VD
Old 01-11-04, 14:12
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Mrs. Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
I'm afraid that won't quite do it, old chap. Y'see, the good ones can conjure up more by rote. I'm afraid you're buggered, but what the hell, you're probably a fine challenge for Milady.

Quote:
I am having trouble with my ADSL, there is a fault on my line and the crackling is so bad I cannot receive phone calls and the net connection is therefore very intermittent.

Of course, having reported it to BT on Friday, they tried to convince me it is my private internal house wiring, but when I said I'd disconnected that and looked across their incoming pair in isolation with a 600 ohm DC isolated transformer and the oscilloscope showed the noise, the girly had an "engineer" call back.

He tried the same, but finally agreed it may well be the street cabinet to house line as they can only analyse up to the cabinet

A pain in the arse, I know. You've done the right diagnostics; the trouble is either in the main cable pair from the central office to the remote terminal ('street cabinet') or in the cable pair from the latter to your house. It sounds like an intermittent ground to me. Can you isolate and check for that first? It also could be something as simple as some telephone dink pulling your connection in error and repunching the wires crossed. Trust me, it happens. :

Keep us posted old man, and our regards to Al and the lads. Glad to hear Rory is keeping the Old Guy on his toes...

If you want any Canadian maple leaves, you'd better speak up now before they're all gone....
Old 04-11-04, 08:11
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Mrs. Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I'm afraid that won't quite do it, old chap. Y'see, the good ones can conjure up more by rote. I'm afraid you're buggered, but what the hell, you're probably a fine challenge for Milady.
Hmmmmm, quite so. I'm minded Veare is a black cat too.
Quote:
A pain in the arse, I know. You've done the right diagnostics; the trouble is either in the main cable pair from the central office to the remote terminal ('street cabinet') or in the cable pair from the latter to your house. It sounds like an intermittent ground to me.
Now the BT man arrived and spotted the fault immediately from the outside. The short pair coming in from the o/head termination on the house to the main socket was corroded through, apparently this plain twin, hard-drawn copper and PVC insulated was last used 35 years ago. I have a sample and it falls apart just looking at it.
Quote:
Keep us posted old man, and our regards to Al and the lads. Glad to hear Rory is keeping the Old Guy on his toes...
I shall see Al shortly as he is my "new" business partner, we have a few jobs going on, a significant proportion of which is for the Old Guy; young Rory has a couple of months work elsewhere doing a house final fit carpentry.
Quote:
If you want any Canadian maple leaves, you'd better speak up now before they're all gone....
Yes, I'm going to need one to stick somewhare in Ballard's truck now we're into the the leaf insurgent season. He has already recounted the opening battles with the advance guards waiting outside the garage door to blow in. As he does.

Can't hang about here, the real time is gone 07:00 and we have grit to blast.

R.