MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-07, 13:35

Default Grant 'Pin Cushion'

I found these photos on the net the other day. I think they were taken at the War and Peace show in the UK.

Heres the same tank on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBiTYNKHjXM

I remember the Sherman that was on display at Portsea was full of smallarms projectile holes.

Does anyone have any other 'Pin Cushion' photos.

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 04-07-07 at 16:13.
Old 05-07-07, 07:33
Richard Notton

Default Re: Grant 'Pin Cushion'

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy K
I found these photos on the net the other day. I think they were taken at the War and Peace show in the UK.

Heres the same tank on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBiTYNKHjXM
I think there are a few of us in here that know the owner of this Grant quite well.

Its a stranger story than you might imagine as both the correct lack of paint and the holes are of historic importance and have a direct bearing on the capability of British tanks from Centurion up to the present Challenger 2.

You'll notice the holes don't overlap, except for mistakes (!); they were all intentionally and carefully designed being made post war by WWII German shaped charge weapons. . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 30-09-07, 23:27

that sherman that was in portsea is now in the pucka tank museum

LP2A Carrier 5004 SA Railways Islington
Old 01-10-07, 04:04

A SHOT UP LEOPARD 1
Attached Thumbnails
1t.jpg  

LP2A Carrier 5004 SA Railways Islington
Old 05-10-07, 16:19

Default more photos

hi Tom.
more photos on that tank on my webshots album,webshots are upgrading site so you may have to scroll down the page

dennis

Old 05-10-07, 16:49

Great photos Dennis. I didn't realise that the holes extend right through the armour.

Do you know what is to happen to this Grant. Is it to be fully restored including the patching of the holes or will it simply remain a 'curiosity'.

Old 05-10-07, 17:15
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy K
Great photos Dennis. I didn't realise that the holes extend right through the armour.

Do you know what is to happen to this Grant. Is it to be fully restored including the patching of the holes or will it simply remain a 'curiosity'.

I know the owner of this Grant very well, it will remain as is while he owns it I think.

The tank was found on Pirbright ranges alongside the now immaculately restored Jagdpanther of Michael Gibb's SdKfz Made in Great Britain Foundation. http://www.sdkfz.com/site/collection...agdpanther.php

These two were side beside at Pirbright because the Grant (IIRC) was towing the Jagdpanther at the time and failed, the authorities decided to leave them where they were.

The holes and presentation of the Grant is historically important; the lack of paint was intentional since paint fires would have affected the tests it was used for and so it was formally de-painted before the trials.

As I have previously mentioned, all the holes are post war made by the copious stocks of captured German Panzerfaust and shreck munitions; these were specifically, statically placed to create a breach at the angle and place defined by each test. Hence there are few if any overlapping strikes that would be commonplace if used simply as a target.

The purpose was to develop safer and better ammunition stowage for later vehicles and as such the stowage design of the Challenger back through Chieftain and Centurion can be traced to this vehicle. The holes are therefore of some historic importance and it would be, in my opinion, incorrect to fill them.

I cannot attach multiple images so here's a few in separate postings, starting with the as found.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
grant as found.jpg  
Old 05-10-07, 17:21
Richard Notton

Default Grant recovered

You may notice a replacement transmission assembly in the background.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
grant lhs.jpg  
Old 05-10-07, 17:23
Richard Notton

Default Grant in work

Here the transmission is removed and replacement road wheel assemblies have been fitted.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
grant part restored.jpg