MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-05-07, 21:09
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default Library & Archives Canada

With very little info on the M152CDN truck available I decided to see waht LAC had. I found 5 documents but the "conditions of access" list them as "32:restricted by law". I've searched the site to no end to find out what that means but no luck. Repeated trips through voicemail hell lead to an answering machine only. The conditions say restricted, not denied.

Does anyone who has dealt with them know what this means?

Bruce
Old 01-05-07, 21:46
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Library & Archives Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
With very little info on the M152CDN truck available I decided to see waht LAC had. I found 5 documents but the "conditions of access" list them as "32:restricted by law". I've searched the site to no end to find out what that means but no luck. Repeated trips through voicemail hell lead to an answering machine only. The conditions say restricted, not denied.

Does anyone who has dealt with them know what this means?

Bruce
Hi Bruce;

The meaning of Library and Archives Canada's access code '32':

Access Code '32' - The terms of the the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act apply to these records and they must be reviewed in accordance with the provisions of the legislation before being made available for research.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 02-05-07, 03:37
FIOR GO BAS

Bruce, as already stated, code 32 files are restricted access files. This simply means that after you fill out the forms requesting the files, they must be inspected by personnel at the Archives to determine if they can be released. I ran into the same situation with the Dress Regulations for the Irish Regiment of Canada. These files were access code 32 as well but upon inspection by the Archives personnel, they were released to me as open.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-07, 03:39
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default gov. beerocrats

With 10 minutes left until closing time at LAC I looked up and called an obscure dept. who were more than happy to transfer me internally to the right dept (remember-close to closing). It appears that the accession number for what I want is RG24 which is a catch all for military records. The info I want is mixed in with atomic secrets and you have to tell them specifically what you are looking for. They will then see if what you want exists and if you can have it (pay for it). If you don't ask the right questions you won't get an answer (they volunteer nothing).

I'm compiling a 2 page email request to cover everything I can think of.

The very helpful gentleman also said don't hold your breath, it takes 8 - 9 weeks before you can expect an answer to find out if there IS anything available!