MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-11-05, 18:26
Vets Dottir

Question For CHRIS VICKERY

Hello Chris,

Is this "Pappy" Vickery a relation to you?

This article and theres a photo as well are in todays online edition of WINNIPEG SUN through CANOE NEWS.

Karmen

Quote:
November 10, 2005
From artillery to press corps
Veteran landed on D-Day
By BOB HOLLIDAY, STAFF REPORTER

Al (Pappy) Vickery had his share of close calls during the Second World War. (C. PROCAYLO, Sun)

Al (Pappy) Vickery headed to the Second World War as a gunner and returned to Winnipeg as a reporter.

As part of the 11th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Vickery was stationed in the Thames Estuary, firing at German bombers during the tail end of the London Blitz.

Pappy also saw fire when he was part of a Canadian contingent to hit the beaches on D-Day plus One.

"I was scared s---less. You didn't know what to expect, especially when you stepped out of the landing craft and waded the last bit. The Germans were up high and firing down. I think I changed my drawers four times," recalled Vickery.

Vickery remembers how Canadian reporters were the first to file reports and photos, beating the hot-shot Americans.

"That was a coup," said Vickery, 89, a lowly corporal who became military reporter after he paid a 1944 visit to Canadian Military HQ in London to see General P.J. Montague, a friend of his father.

Close calls

"How'd you like to get into PR," Vickery was asked before joining 4 PR Group as a writer for the Maple Leaf, the armed forces newspaper.

"He said 'We've got something coming but I can't tell you,'" recalled Vickery. "The something was D-Day."

A short time later he was locked up for 60 hours as the ships loaded for the invasion. A ship was not Vickery's favourite mode of transportation. Heading to France, he was so sick he lost his upper dentures when the ship rolled as he heaved.

There were also some close calls for the reporter. A bomb destroyed an Antwerp movie theatre he'd planned to attend. He had gone to the dog track instead.

Two weeks after the invasion, Vickery organized a baseball game that was interrupted by British engineers who discovered several unexploded mines on the playing field.

Hired by Canadian Press in Toronto in 1947, Vickery was given a choice of postings in New York City or Winnipeg.

"Coming home was the best move of my life. I met my wife of 56 years," he said with a smile.

Janet Beckworth, 80, was an all-star shortstop with the St. Vital Tigerettes and is in the hall of fame. Being in halls of fame runs in the family. Pappy was inducted into the bowling and Blue Bomber halls, while son Joey is in the basketball hall of fame.