MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-06-10, 08:43
Alex McDougall

Default Stude Rims/tyres

Does anyone know if postwar petrol M35 6x6 Reo/Stude/etc rims and tyres will fit the WWII Stude 6x6 (aka US6) stud pattern and clear the drums? We've got a wartime Studebaker to move and we've only seen photos of it and the tyres are cactus and nearest thing we have are the postwar ones. We need it rolling to run it up onto a float.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
Old 03-07-10, 05:33

Default Helpful? Maybe.

Can't help you as to whether M35 wheels will fit on to Stude US6.
I have some M series wheels here that are the same stud pattern as CCKW etc but don't know exactly what they are off so can't trial it for you.
The first thing that I would try would be to have a go at inflating what is on the truck. You only need four to hold air if you chain up or block down one of the rear axles and swap wheels around. It is surprising how bad a tyre can look and still pump up but expect blow outs. Just don't try and pump them up to full pressure.
David
Old 03-07-10, 06:09
Alex McDougall

Default 4 tyres

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. The pics of the vehicle only show 1 rim w/tyre on each rear hub and none on the front so I'd say from your suggestion that if we had more to choose from then we'd be able to do it as you describe. Unfortunately it's too far away to hope for the best. I've suggested that Dad make a gasket style pattern to suit the M35 studs/rims and mail that to the former owner and see if he can wave it over the truck. Perhaps we might be able to have a reversed rim on each rear hub if the drums won't clear but my guess is drums just got bigger rather than smaller..? So hoping the stud pattern/holes are a match.

Alex