MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 06-06-10, 16:17
Gilles Chartrand

Default Wife's new 53 Ford M38A1

Yesterday we went to see Jim Fraser in Arnprior to pick up my wife's newest toy a Ford 1953 M38A1. My wife who already has a M1010 Ambulance wanted a jeep end of story, preferably an Iltis. Having owned 4 Iltis I was not overly crazy in owning another. Bob from the Hammond Barn told me Jim had a bunch of jeeps for sale so we went and saw him and his collection. Impressive to say the least.
He took us to a barn located in the back roads and showed us the jeeps, there in the middle of the barn was (in the words of my wife) the "cutest little jeep". We bought the orphan, and Saturday we went to pick it up and a donor jeep.
On Saturday we had a chance to get a better look and the harder we looked, the better it looked. The body is very solid and in good to very good condition for a 1953, Jim had oiled the jeep prior to storage.
There is very little if any rust and only some very small holes in the floor, very easily fixed. The body will be an easy job for us. We have a second M38 for parts, unfortunately this vehicle's body is too far gone for repair unless we replace the entire tub. But it is excellent for spare parts.
We also found out the our M38A1 was a radio jeep, we have the front bumper plate for the atenna, the radio mounting brackets in the rear, wiring and junction box in the tub. We also found the markings of Mobile Command on the rear, as soon as we pressure wash the vehicle we will be able to get the serial number etc.
The biggest problem we have is that the engine will not turn over, seized???, we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
Overall we have found a great little jeep and it will fit in perfectly with our larger MVs. One thing we did notice was the stencil that the vehicle had been winterized/serviced in 1972, so it is a pretty good indication that the vehicle was still in service in 1972 and was probably phased out on the arrival of the M151 Mutt.
We plan to completely record all work, time spent on restoration and costs. I know that we will be looking for a Radio 42 set for demo purpose, or we might install a RT 542, time and money will tell.
Now the real kicker, my wife said she will get her hands dirty on this project, I will definitely post pictures of this event, afterall this is "HER" project. MTF
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03660.jpg   DSC03661.jpg  

Last edited by Wpns 421; 06-06-10 at 16:31.
Old 06-06-10, 16:53
Terry Warner

Default sequencing radios and delivery years

I would suggest that any 1953 Jeeps were retired by the mid 1970's. The term I recall is "PCC'd". There weren't any at my reserve unit in 1976-77. We still had C42 Radios at that time, and got RT524's about 1978. So, a C42 in a 1953 is appropropriate but not an RT524.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 06-06-10, 19:06
Gilles Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
I would suggest that any 1953 Jeeps were retired by the mid 1970's. The term I recall is "PCC'd". There weren't any at my reserve unit in 1976-77. We still had C42 Radios at that time, and got RT524's about 1978. So, a C42 in a 1953 is appropropriate but not an RT524.
I don't think the jeeps were PCC'd as the term means Provisional Condemnation Certicate they were retired. Gilles