MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-09-03, 10:38
Vets_Dottir

Question Wanky Wonder thread???

Hey, what happened to the Wanky Wonder thread? I looked through all Sargeants Mess pages 3 times and couldn't find it.

I was going to add that I'm going to meet the pilot in person mid-October. Pretty neat hey?

For those who don't know what I'm on about I was helping this pilot( who I've never met) via his son, to search for some of his crew who he hasn't seen since WW2. Stu is 87 (maybe 88 by now) I had the computer and the time to search ... had some reunion success too!

STU - James Stuart Carruthers was the RCAF pilot who was with the WW2 420 Snowy Owl Squadron and his plane (among others he flew) was nicknamed the "Wanky Wonder" A Wellington I think. (He was also with the 426 briefly in Africa) Stu was recommended for DFC, which he didn't receive in the end.

Another interesting tidbit is that a close friend of Stu's has a son who is head pilot (something like that) for the SNOWBIRDS planes. Zoom. I really know nothingabot the Snowbirds except that they're a BIG DEAL... and Anne Murray sings about them (I'm learning!!!)

I'm looking forward to meeting Stu and being quiet and listening I hope he tells stories and stories and stories. I actually feel pretty honoured that he really wants to meet me and thank me in person for helping him reconnect with one of his crew. II should be thanking him!!! And I will.

That's all folks.
Old 24-09-03, 10:51
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Wanky Wonder thread???

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Hey, what happened to the Wanky Wonder thread? I looked through all Sargeants Mess pages 3 times and couldn't find it.
Miss Yappy,

Try the

function and you'll find the thread RCAF 420 SQUADRON `Wanky Wonder' is in the WW2 Military History & Equipment section.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 24-09-03, 11:14
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Wanky Wonder thread???

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Miss Yappy,

Try the

function and you'll find the thread RCAF 420 SQUADRON `Wanky Wonder' is in the WW2 Military History & Equipment section.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Ooooops. Thank you Hanno ...gawd...where the heck is my Ginko Biloba and Geritol anyways???? I forget"