MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 12-06-06, 23:16

I have had a word with Rob vdB and he says that the image came to him with some others which were from Iceland.

I have an uncompressed copy and I do tend to think that it looks like the early pattern "droopy nosed" Polar Bear but Rob agrees that due to surface damage, it is difficult to be sure.

The left sleeve also clearly shows three stripes and there is insignia above the stripes on the right sleeve - C.S.M.?

Rich.
Old 13-06-06, 03:50

Default More military trivia questions

Thanks for all you responses & I have a few more questions that I hope someone can help me out on. (wish my dad Eric England was still around to ask him directly)

1) in pictures of Cdn. Army men, some have a white colored
rope thingy that goes under their shoulder epaulet and then
loops under their right armpit and up to the epaulet again. Does anyone know what this white rope thing is called & what does it signify?? It doesn't go into the pocket, it just loops under the arm.

2) in my Dad's Service Records it says he was an "Instructor in L/T & R/T" Does anyone know what "L/T & R/T " stands for??

3) in his Service Records it says he was qualified as a Signaller Class "C". and ran his battery's communication in NWE. Anyone know what the "Class C" stands for and I'm still not sure what a "signaller" did. He wore the "crossed flags" badge on his right arm and rode a motorcycle in NWE. Does anyone know what signallers did re communications?

4) I'm trying to find out where he was discharged from. His
Service records state:
a) SOS - C.A. O/S - Jan 8/46 in UK
b) TOS - S-8 CATS from C.A. O/S Jan 9/46 at S-8 CATS Hamilton
c) SOS - S-8 CATS to 2DD Feb 21/46 at CATS Hamilton
d) TOS - from C.A.T.S. - Feb 22/46 at 2DD Toronto
e) SOS - discharged on Feb 25/46 from 2DD Toronto
1) anyone know what the initials C.A. O/S, S-8 CATS and
2DD Toronto mean?
2) Were the men shipped to Hamilton for discharge medical, etc. and then sent to their home city Toronto?

5) Service Record states "Att to No 1 CBSC for R & Q on July 29/43 in Chobham, UK. Does anyone know what "No 1 CBSC and R & Q" stand for??

6) In his Service & Casualty Form it says as Misc. qualifications the words " Driver 1C (W) & MC. I'm assuming "MC" stands for motorcycle, but does anyone know what "Drive 1C (W) stands for??

Sorry for all the pesky questions, but I'm trying to fill in the blanks in a binder I'm putting together on my dad, for my family. Again - any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheryl England

Last edited by Cheryl England; 13-06-06 at 15:42.
Old 13-06-06, 04:03
Mr. HUP

Default Re: More military trivia questions

"Cdn. Army men, some have a white colored rope thingy that goes under their shoulder epaulet and then loops under their right armput and up to the epault again. Does anyone know what this white rope thing is called & what does it signify??"

Known as a lanyard, it was a decoration for Gunners (white being particular to the artillery...and NOT a symbol of cowardice as some would have it). Artillery "painted" their lanyards white because the natural fibre soon got dirty, and as any NCO worth his/her salt will tell you, dirt is not an option.

In some cases the lanyard was just attached to the pocket, or in other cases was attached to a compass or knife. In the past the lanyard was used to attach to the firing mechanism of older muzzle and some breech loaders to provide the gunner with some distance from the fire and smoke of the initiating charge.

Various colours were used by different units in the CA. Today, the lanyard may be found on the combat order of dress attached to the 9 mm pistol, a compass (prysmatic and otherwise).

check out our southern gunners website on the issue of lanyards. http://livefiring.ashst.com/artiller...at/lanyard.htm

Cheers!

Last edited by RHClarke; 13-06-06 at 04:18.
Old 13-06-06, 04:18

Thumbs up Re: More military trivia questions

Thanks for the explanation of the "lanyard" - much appreciated.
How dumb of me - I forgot to put these 2 questions in my previous posting

1) In my dad's records it states he received after the war (April '46) a "Commander-in-Chief's Certificate" for "performing o/s good service and devotion to duty during NWE" ...was the C-I-C Certificate something all the men got after the war???

2) In his file it states he was thinking of joining the OCTU (Officer Cadet Training), but didn't go through with it. Was applying to the OCTU something one had to do to rise above nco rank, or
does it mean having a permanent job with the Army after the war?? Does anyone know?

Again thanks for your help on all my pesky questions.
Cheryl England
Old 13-06-06, 04:23
RIP

Default Re: More military trivia questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheryl England
Thanks for all you responses & I have a few more questions that I hope someone can help me out on. (wish my dad Eric England was still around to ask him directly)

1) in pictures of Cdn. Army men, some have a white colored
rope thingy that goes under their shoulder epaulet and then
loops under their right armput and up to the epault again. Does
anyone know what this white rope thing is called & what does
it signify??

2) in my Dad's Service Records it says he was an "Instructor in L/T & R/T" Does anyone know what "L/T & R/T " stands for??

3) in his Service Records it says he was qualified as a Signaller Class "C". and ran his battery's communication in NWE. Anyone know what the "Class C" stands for and I'm still not sure what a "signaller" did. He wore the "crossed flags" badge on his right arm and rode a motorcycle in NWE. Does anyone know what signallers did re communications?

Service records state:
2DD Toronto mean?
2) Were the men shipped to Hamilton for discharge medical, etc. and then sent to their home city Toronto?

5) Service Record states "Att to No 1 CBSC for R & Q on July 29/43 in Chobham, UK. Does anyone know what "No 1 CBSC and R & Q" stand for??

6) In his Service & Casualty Form it says as Misc. qualifications the words " Driver 1C (W) & MC. I'm assuming "MC" stands for motorcycle, but does anyone know what "Drive 1C (W) stands for??

Sorry for all the pesky questions, but I'm trying to fill in the blanks in a binder I'm putting together on my dad, for my family. Again - any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheryl England
Cheryl,
The "rope" is a lanyard. This would have a whistle, clasp knife or bottle opener attached in the pocket.
Driver 1C (W) & MC - Driver, 1st Class (Wheeled) and Motor Cycle
No 1 CBSC -
R & Q - Rations and Quarters
SOS - Struck Off Strength
C.A. O/S, - Canadian Army, Overseas
S-8 CATS - #S-8 Canadian Army Trade School
2DD Toronto - No. 2 District Depot, Toronto

Clive
Old 13-06-06, 04:35
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: More military trivia questions

Quote:
Service records state:
2DD Toronto mean?

Hi Cheryl;

I'll leave the Arty and Sigs questions for those Arty and Sigs type members of the Forum to answer, but in answer to some of your questions:

a) SOS - C.A. O/S - Jan 8/46 in UK - your father was Struck-Off-Strength of the Canadian Army Overseas, in the United Kingdom - effective 8 Jan 1946

b) TOS - S-8 CATS from C.A. O/S Jan 9/46 at S-8 CATS Hamilton - your father was Taken-On-Strength of S 8 Canadian Army Trade School (located Hamilton, Ontario), from the Canadian Army Overseas - effective 9 Jan 1946

c) SOS - S-8 CATS to 2DD Feb 21/46 at CATS Hamilton - your father was Struck-Off-Strength of S 8 Canadian Army Trade School (located Hamilton, Ontario), to the strength of No. 2 District Depot (located Toronto, Ontario) - effective 21 Feb 1946

d) TOS - from C.A.T.S. - Feb 22/46 at 2DD Toronto - your father was Taken-On-Strength of No. 2 District Depot (located Toronto, Ontario), from the srength of S 8 Canadian Army Trade School (located Hamilton, Ontario) - effective 22 Feb 1946

e) SOS - discharged on Feb 25/46 from 2DD Toronto - your father was Struck-Off-Strength of the Canadian Army from No. 2 District Depot (located Toronto, Ontario) - effective 25 Feb 1946 - he was released to civie street in Toronto, Ontario

Your question - "Were the men shipped to Hamilton for discharge medical, etc. and then sent to their home city Toronto?" - No, his discharge medical, etc, would have been done at No. 2 District Depot, which was located at Toronto, Ontario.

Your question - "Service Record states "Att to No 1 CBSC for R & Q on July 29/43 in Chobham, UK. Does anyone know what "No 1 CBSC and R & Q" stand for??"

- Cheryl, are you sure it reads 1 CBSC ?. Also, R & Q stands for Rations and Quarters (Food and Lodging)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 13-06-06, 17:01
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: 2 CIB Iceland?

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
But I do know that the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Division was posted to Iceland , landing there on May 10,1940.
Garry;

Not to take away from Cheryl's thread/subject, but where did you get that the Canadian 2nd Infantry Brigade was in Iceland or landed in Iceland on 10 May 1940?

The letter (from the Secretary of State for the Dominions) asking Canada to undertake and maintain a garrison in Iceland was dated 18 May 1940.

The first Canadian Army personnel to arrive in Iceland were Brigadier Page with part of his headquarters and The Royal Regiment of Canada on 16 June 1940.

Cheers
Old 13-06-06, 18:43
RIP

Default I did a search

I searched the web under the title Canadian Army in Iceland and got thei nfo from one of the titles that I scrolled through.As a matter of fact I wrote the date and such on my note pad in front of me.I see what you mean .Probably wrongly stated in the article I got it from.
Old 13-06-06, 23:20

Default C in C's Certificate

Others may have a more precise description (I am not an expert), but here's some info based on my research. The Commander in Chief's Certificate (CCC) was a signed certificate from the Commander in Chief of 21st Army Group, Field Marshal Montgomery. I do not believe it was considered an official award, but was a way of acknowledging important service. There was no ribbon or other device worn on the uniform to indicate this honour. As the Commonwealth Armies were rather stingy with decorations, this provided another means of recognizing some men. While not applicable in this case, it was also one of the few awards that could be made posthumously (the Victoria Cross and the Mention in Dispatches being the others), so was sometimes used to recognize those who were not eligible for anything else.

They were not terribly common, awarded to an infantry battalion of about one thousand men on the order of a few (2-4) per month while in combat. A larger batch (10 for an inf. battalion) were also submitted by all units at the end of the war, covering the entire period of 6 June 44 to 8 May 45. Not all of those nominated in this group would have received the CCC. By the date of his award, I would speculate that your father's CCC might have come in this batch at the end of the fighting in Europe. Numbers were presumably fewer for a Field Regiment.

They could be awarded for Gallantry or for Outstanding Good Service. Citiations were not required, so there were often no supporting writeups for these. An exception would be in cases where a man was cited for another award that was turned down for some reason. The Archives can occasionally turn up these recommendations and you can make the connection to the CCC awarded instead.
Old 15-06-06, 02:26

Default My Lucky Day

Just two weeks ago I did my first posting on MLU and my lucky day - Herb Danter responded. Just wanted to let you all know that today my brother and I met Herb, as we live about 10 minutes apart in Pickering, Ont. It was just wonderful to hear stories of the 23rd Field Regiment and my dad, Eric England. Herb was able to fill in many of the gaps in my understanding of what my dad did during the war. His recall was amazing and we were so impressed with his knowledge and generosity in sharing it.

I just can't say thank you enough to the MLU site and all its wonderful members, specially Herb - it sure was my lucky day when I decided to post on MLU. Thank you all again for your postings and dedication to keeping the memories alive.
Cheryl England
Old 15-06-06, 02:50
Vets Dottir

Hi Cheryl,

I'm hugely glad for you, your family, and Herb Danter ... how exciting, and AMAZING a meeting!

LONG LIVE MLU!

Karmen
Old 11-07-06, 01:55

Default Thanks to Larry Holleran

Another lucky day for me. Herb Danter gave me the name of
Larry Holleran of the 23rd Field Reg., 83rd Battery, as Larry may have known my dad, Eric England.

I contacted Larry and YES he knew my father and was able to share many recollections about him. Again, I thank MLU and Herb Danter (for the lead) and to Larry Holleran for assisting me in my quest to compile a binder for my family on my dad's military life. Thanks to Larry, I now have a better understanding of just what he did in the war as a "signaller" and motorcycle rider.
Thanks again
Cheryl England
Old 20-12-06, 17:12

Default 23rd Field Regiment on Wikipedia

I've posted a history summary of the 23rd Field Regiment, RCA on Wikipedia.org which was gleaned from the research I've done in compiling a military history binder for my father Eric England. If you want to view it, go to www.wikipedia.org and search for 23rd Field Regiment, RCA.

You have to key in the exact words in the search box, "23rd Field Regiment, RCA" or you won't get a hit.
Again, thank you to everyone who helped me by answering my questions on the 23rd Field Reg.
Cheryl England

Last edited by Cheryl England; 11-02-07 at 18:07.
Old 21-12-06, 01:59
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 23rd Field Regiment, RCA

Hi Cheryl;

This may be a bit late, I haven't been around of late, but here are some notes on the 23rd Field Regiment, RCA:

- from mobilization to disbandment:

Serial No.: 1411 - 23rd Field Regiment, R.C.A.
Authorized: GO 147/42 - Effective 18 Mar 42,
Converted & Redesignated: GO 243/43 - Effective 15 May 43
Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 1411 - 23rd Self-Propelled Regiment, R.C.H.A. - GO 243/43 - Effective 15 May 43

Serial No.: 1411 - 23rd Self Propelled Regiment, R.C.H.A.
Authorized: GO 243/43 - Effective 15 May 43,
Redesignated: GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411 - 23rd Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43

Serial No.: 1411 - 23rd Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Authorized: GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43,
Redesignated: GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411 - 23rd Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43

Serial No.: 1411 - 23rd Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Authorized: GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43,
Disbanded: GO 71/46 - Effective 18 Dec 45

Serial No.: 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Field Regiment, R.C.A.
Redesignated: GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Self Propelled Regiment, R.C.H.A. - GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43

Serial No.: 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Self Propelled Regiment, R.C.H.A.
Authorized: GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43,
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43

Serial No.: 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43

Serial No.: 1411A - Headquarters, 23rd Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.

Serial No.: 1411B - 31st Field Battery, R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411B - 31st Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A. - GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43

Serial No.: 1411B - 31st Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411B - 31st Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43

Serial No.: 1411B - 31st Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411B - 31st Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43

Serial No.: 1411B - 31st Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.

Serial No.: 1411C - 36th Field Battery, R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411C - 36th Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A. - GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43

Serial No.: 1411C - 36th Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411C - 36th Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43

Serial No.: 1411C - 36th Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411C - 36th Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43

Serial No.: 1411C - 36th Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.

Serial No.: 1411D - 83rd Field Battery, R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411D - 83rd Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A. - GO 328/43 - Effective 15 May 43

Serial No.: 1411D - 83rd Self Propelled Battery, R.C.H.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411D - 83rd Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 396/43 - Effective 15 Aug 43

Serial No.: 1411D - 83rd Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.
Redesignated: Serial No. 1411D - 83rd Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. - GO 452/43 - Effective 1 Sep 43

Serial No.: 1411D - 83rd Field Battery (Self-Propelled), R.C.A.

Notes:

1. - GO = General Order - example: GO 147/42 = General Order Number 147 of 1942 or GO 71/46 = General Order Number 71 of 1946; etc.

2. - a Field Regiment , RCA (or RCHA) was never referred to as a "Field Artillery Regiment" - that is an American term.

Cheers
Old 21-12-06, 03:04
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 23 Fd Regt, RCHA

Gunner history books find the three month uplifting of the 23rd Regiment to the exalted status of Horse Artillery somewhat of an amusing chapter in Canadian artillery circles.

The intention was that SP regiments, being "mounted" would all be RCHA. As soon as the order was received in the 23rd Regiment, the officers had their battle dress modified to include "ball" buttons (ball buttons are shaped like small balls as opposed to flat or semi rounded buttons and were a dress item exclusive to the regular army RCHA officers within the artillery. On battle dress these were represented by leather wrapped ball buttons on the type of battle dress jacket without hidden buttons (obviously). The other ranks replaced their cloth accoutrements with brass (the cannon above a Sgts' rank stripes for example) as this was also an RCHA priviledge.

Regular Gunners scattered throughout the army and the officers of 1st Field Regiment, RCHA were most upset and were worried that the 1st (and finest) regiment might lose its RCHA status as it was towed and therefore not "mounted". As you can see it took three months to "fix" the problem and the members of the 23rd and other SP regiments were devastated to find themselves back in the mundane ranks of the Field artillery and were directed in rather short terms to divest themselves of RCHA priviledges.

Of course, Gunner history shows that as the regular artillery grew post war (eventually to five regiments and currently at three) each was granted the style and priviledges of the Royal Canadian HORSE Artillery, SP or not! SP regiments in the militia (we quite a few in the 50's) were always RCA never RCHA.

From the point of view of a third generation Gunner who wore RCHA for many years, its all rather petty, really.

Cheers and Ubique!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 21-12-06, 03:16
Mr. HUP

Default Re: 23 Fd Regt, RCHA

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
From the point of view of a third generation Gunner who wore RCHA for many years, its all rather petty, really.

Cheers and Ubique!

Mike
Chalk it up to an overindulgence of Artillery Punch! I like the Brit explanation of the difference between the Royal Arrtilray and the much esteemed Royal Horse Arrtilray: The "O" as in ordinary...Rather!

So, Mike, any amorous Manatee attacks?
Old 22-12-06, 06:46
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Manatee musings

Hi Rob: Headed to Crystal River next week with Dana Clark and family so I can complete his daughter's scuba course. She took a course with me this past summer but couldn't attend the last two dives due to other committments.

I'll let you know if the manatee get too frisky!

Got the final OK from the UK gummint to ship the Polsten... it'll be on a boat to Montreal in the first week of Jan. Plan on a day trip!

Cheers! Mikey down south
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 22-12-06, 07:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Mike

Yer spoiled rotten. Enjoy!

Ubique! yourself, my friend, a pint in the New Year I hope.
Old 11-02-07, 18:26

Default Book Canucks By the Sea

I read the book "Canucks By The Sea" by Michael Ockenden (see June 2, 2006 posting above) and it's great. It's the story of the Canadian Army in Eastbourne, England during the Second World War. Chapter 5 highlights the 23rd Field Regiment.....so it gave lots of insight into my dad's Regiment.
Old 11-02-07, 19:05
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Book Canucks By the Sea

Quote:
I read the book "Canucks By The Sea" by Michael Ockenden (see June 2, 2006 posting above) and it's great.
.... Yes, it is a great book .......
Old 11-02-07, 20:16
RIP

Default Canucks By The Sea

Many Thanks for your entry Cheryl. I hope Mike sees this, I shall also bring it to his attention.

Cheers & Regards
Herb
Old 08-06-07, 05:58

Default Lieutenant JRD Cave

Hello all!

I'm so glad I found this forum and also Cheryl's short history of the 23rd Field Rgt on Wikipedia. Well done!

I am researching my Uncle Doug's combat service in Europe. Lieutenant JRD Cave served went over to France and served August-October with the 31st battery then went over to the 83rd battery end October through December, then, not so sure as all letters had the return address called "Same address".

My Uncle died in 1974, age 65. He was 36 during 1944-early 1945. At various times in Europe, I believe he served as a Quarter master.

I am very interested in talking/writing to a few of the veterans who may have served with my Uncle. While you may not have remembered him, certainly you would recall some of the campaigns and battles in which you would have fought together.

My uncle died before I had a chance to appreciate all that he and his comrades achieved. My father told us a lot about his wartime efforts (WW II, Lancaster pilot in Bomber Command). I have records of all his achievements (though not the service record) and have read many books on the campaign by Bomber Command and the Canadian effort with the Command. However, I must confess that I am far less informed about the ground war in western Europe.

When my Aunt died 15 years after my uncle, unfortunately, the executors did not respect his wishes and much of his records were lost from the family. I do have his letter to his wife, but because of censorship, these are often vague. Therefore, if I have questions, would it be okay if I direct them to some in this group?

Sincerly! Jim Cave

Last edited by JDCAVE; 08-06-07 at 06:23.
Old 08-06-07, 06:21

Default Lieutenant JRD Cave

Here is a picture of Lt. JRD Cave:

From the back of the photo, Left to right: Sid Oliver, Van Brandt, Lt. Cave, Thompson, Bagely, Klaudt. Hope this displays okay.
Attached Thumbnails
cave and gang s.jpg  
Old 08-06-07, 15:55
RIP

Default Re: Lt Doug Cave

Hello Jim:
My name is Herb Danter and I am a former member of the 36th (Cobourg Ont.) Field Battery, 23rd Field Regiment (Self Propelled) RCA.
I didn't know your Uncle Doug personally but I do remember him being in the Regiment.
Here are the "e"mail addresses of two former members of the Regiment, Jim, that may be of some assistance.
John Wilkes of the 31st Battery at
jbwilkes@sympatico.ca.
and
Larry Holleran of the 83rd Battery at:
larryholleran@cogeco.ca

Good Luck in your quest and please contact me at hdanter@rogers.com if I can be of further assistance in this regard and I am sure through the good offices of MLU they will help you get the war record of your Uncle from the respective archives in Ottawa.

Cheers
Herb Danter
Old 08-06-07, 19:33

Default Thanks Herb!

Yes, I was hoping you would see my request for help, as I had read your comments to Cheryl. I gather you were not in the same battery as my Uncle, but thought you would know of others who were. I will contact the fellows whose names you have provided.

Jim
Old 08-06-07, 19:41

Default Your private message

Hi Jim:
I responded to your private message, but don't know if
you rec'd it or not. Please contact me directly at
cengland@rogers.com. Thanks.....Cheryl
Old 08-06-07, 20:19

Default Thanks Cheryl..

I think I replied to your private message, unless it got lost in the void somehow....

I have a couple of photos to upload if that is okay to the group.

Holland, 1945: Top left standing is Lieutenant JRD Cave, the rest are identified, left to right as Sgt Major Bignell, Doug Hobbs, Sgt Slingerslay, Gnr. Morrison, Nicol, Bdr Cooke.
Attached Thumbnails
holland 1945 s.jpg  
Old 08-06-07, 20:21

Default E-Troops GPO Half Track stuck in the mud, Steenbergen...

E-Troops GPO Half Track stuck in the mud, Steenbergen...
Attached Thumbnails
e-troops gpo half track in mud steenbergen s.jpg  
Old 09-06-07, 00:23
RIP

You are welcome Jim and good luck on your search
Herb
Old 10-06-07, 22:36

Hi All

That's a great photo of the half-track in the mud. Another job for 104 Light Aid Detachment, RCEME, who kept the 23rd on the road - or at least tried to minimize the damage caused by artillery drivers... Note the chain holding it from tipping right over.

Doug Knight