MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-12-04, 13:52
RIP

Default The time has come the walrus said . . .

. . . to talk of many things

I started this thread just for telling true and untrue storys about Great Captains and Unknown Soldiers.

In a mess there are allways discussions going on. Please contribute with quotes and storys.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year 2005!

Stellan

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 23-12-04 at 13:40.
Old 23-12-04, 05:54
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Stellan

Hello Stellan,

In no way, shape or form, did you offend us ... as a matter of fact, we found your history post to be fascinating, albiet previously unknown to most of us, and I thank you for sharing it with us. Here at MLU we recognize and celebrate many aspects of distinguished miltary service, and your account was, and is, very welcome here.

Geoff.
Old 23-12-04, 08:16
RIP

Good morning!

More than 200 views and not one single response. I only could draw the conclusion that there was something wrong with this thread and that I was only writing for myself.

Regards

Stellan
Old 23-12-04, 10:36
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stellan Bojerud
More than 200 views and not one single response. I only could draw the conclusion that there was something wrong with this thread and that I was only writing for myself.
Good morning to you too, Stellan. Getting no responses does not mean your thread wasn't interesting - the 200+ views are proof of the contrary! However, if you write about an obscure part of your military histöry, it takes time to trigger people to post a response. I for sure do not know anything about the subject, but found it interesting reading no the less. Many members here are eager to learn more about the obsure and unknown, so please write here, even if you have the feeling you do this for yourself!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 23-12-04, 10:40
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Posts

Hi Stellan

If you still have them, please put them back. I really enjoyed reading and learning, but couldn't think of anything constructive to add.

Keith

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-12-04, 12:24
RIP

Default Thanks!

I am glad that someone read what I wrote. So I will write a few more.

"He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk".

Key:
Crazy = General Sherman
Drunk = General Grant

Did you know that General Lee was against slavery and that General Grant owned a slave (which he gave free when the war broke out)?

Anyhow there was a General asking President Lincoln:

- Mr President, do you know that General Grant is an alcoholic?

- Do you know which brand he prefers?

- But Why, Mr President, do you want to know that?

- I wish to send a couple of bottles to my other Generals so also they will start winning battles.
Old 23-12-04, 13:34
RIP

Default The unknown soldier

Some years after WW 2 a French military delegation visited Helsinki.

The French General wanted to lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier. This proved to be a problem because the Finns had no such tomb.

Anyhow the French General was brought to a monument where a Honour Guard and a Band was waiting. A ceremony was carried out. After this the General said:

- I thought I saw a name on that grave.

- Yes, It is Jean Sibelius´ grave. As a composer he is world famous, but as a soldier he was totally unknown.
Old 23-12-04, 13:57
Dog Robber

Stellan:

Thanks for coming back to this one.

A few more from the American side and they are not totally accurate to the words as I am just about to run off to the Zoo as I call my shop this time of year.

"Retreat Hell, we are attacking in a different direction"

This has been attributed to at least three commanders during the battle at the Chosin Reservoir in 1950, including my own Dad and he does remember saying something similar to that.

"We have the enemy right where we want him. He has us surrounded and we can attack in any direction and kill him"

This is correctly attributed to then Col. Chesty Puller a legend in the Marine Corps for his personal bravery.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

General of the Army Douglas Macarthur in his farewell speech to the student body of West Point.

"You don't always go to war with the army you want, you go to war with the army you have"

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld last week.
I will write more about that SOB later when I have more time.

Keep 'em coming.
Cheers
Bill
Old 23-12-04, 15:19
Vets Dottir

Default Stellan

STELLAN,

Hi ... I've been enjoying this thread a lot too, so I'm glad you've come back to it. I'm sorry I only have the one frying pan or else I would send you one to use when you want to get some people's attention to reply to posts

I myself hadn't replied as I didn't know what to say and have also been extremely busy, what with a major move, settling into a new place, and my youngest daughter is arriving here TODAY for a few days in about 3 hours! Seems I'll finally have some time "next year" to catch-up

Keep them coming please

Ma Karmen
Old 24-12-04, 13:33
RIP

Default Good ones!

Thank you Bill!

Those were some good ones.

Merry Christmas!

Stellan
Old 24-12-04, 13:46
RIP

Default Finlands blood-stained path to freedom

Since 1809 Finland was a part (Grand Duchery) of Russia.

Following the revolution in Russia Finland declared independence on 6th December 1917.

This declaration did however not mean freedom. There were still large Russian forces in Finland and the communists began organizing Red Guards.

In the rural areas anti-communist pesants began organizing Skyddskårer (Swedish) or Suojeluskunnat (Finnish) meaning "Protection Corps" or Home Guard (see picture).

There were allmost no arms. Just hunting rifles and some army rifles bought from demoralized Russian soldiers for a bottle of vodka.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 24-12-04 at 15:00.
Old 24-12-04, 13:55
RIP

Default Prussian 27th Rifle Battalion

Starting in 1915 young Finns - most of them students - illegally crossed the border to Sweden and from there continued to Germany.

In Lockstedter Lager - a Trainig Camp near Hamburg - these Finnish volunteers formed Imperial Preussian 27th Rifle Battalion.

Early 1918 this Bn was some 2.000 men strong organized in 4 Rifle Coys, 2 MG Coys, 1 Arty Bty, 1 Cav Det and supporting units. The Bn had gained experiance on the Russian front.

Photo: Bn on parade at Lockstedter Lager.
Attached Images

Old 24-12-04, 14:07
RIP

Default Finding a leader

On 16th January 1918 the President of the Finnish Senate, Per Edvin Svinhufvud told ex-Russian LtGen Gustaf Mannerheim to restore order in Northern Finland.

Mannerheim was born in Finland 4th June 1867 and as a young man he entered Finnish Military Academy - from where he was expelled for disciplinary reasons.

In 1887 he insted managed to join the Russian Military Academy in S:t Petersburg.

After graduating he first served with an ordinary Cav Regt in Poland before entereing the elite Chevalier Guards in S:t Petersburg.

He served in the Russo-Japanese war as a LtCol 1904-05. On outbreak of WW 1 in August 1914 we find him as MjGen and CO of Guards Cav Bde in Warszaw.

During WW 1 he mainly served in Rumania beeing promoted LtGen 1917 and CO of a Cav Corps.

On 18th December 1917 LtGen Mannerheim arrived in Finland.

Photo: Mannerheim as a Russian LtGen autumn 1917 in Odessa.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 24-12-04 at 15:56.
Old 24-12-04, 14:29
RIP

Default Mobilization - and rebellion!

On Sunday 27th January 1918 the following order was sent out by farmer M.E. Laurila (ex-NCO in the 1901 dissolved Finnish Army) - free translation:

All able-bodied men in Karuhmäki village should report tonight zero hour at Poutu farm. Bring food for two days. Avoid attention. It starts for real. Password: Ilkka.

Orders like that were issued in several places in Northern Western Finland.

During the night to 28th January 1918 those farmers overrun several demoralized Russian garrisons. In Ylistario for instance the Home Guard rounded up 350 Russian soldiers, captured some 600 rifles and 11 MGs.

In the meantime rebellion broke out in the capital Helsinki wich was taken in on 28th January 1918 by 10 Bns Red Guards - armed by the Russians. The Finnish Government was paralyzed.

But not for long. A prepared White Emergency Senate in Vasa directly took over the Government.

On 29th January Mannerheim made a declaration as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Finland.

Aged 50 he had the task to fight two wars at the same time. One to secure the independence from Russia and one as a civil war against Finnish communist Red Guards.

Photo: One of Mannerheim´s units ready to march on the Russians.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 24-12-04 at 15:04.
Old 24-12-04, 14:56
RIP

Default Gaining strenght

National service was proclaimed in White Finland (using the old old pre-1809 Swedish conscript act) on 18th February 1918.

The Prussian 27th Rifle Bn was transported to Finland by sea and on 25th February 1918 the Bn was paraded in Vasa joining the Finnish Army.

The Bn was dissolved for finding Officers and NCOs for new units formed by conscripts. Gradually the Finnish White Army during 1918 grew to:

1. Voluntary Home Guard troops:
12 Inf Regts each of 3 Bns

2. Enlisted troops:
2 Inf Regts each of 3 Bns
1 Cav Regt
6 Arty Btys

3. Conscripted troops
6 Inf Regts each of 3 Bns
1 Cav Regt
11 Arty Btys

Photo: Vasa 25th February 1918 - 27th Rifle Bn joining the Finnish Army.
Attached Images

Old 24-12-04, 15:19
RIP

Default The frontline stabilizes

In February - March 1918 Finland was divided. The White forces controlled Northern and Western Finland. The Red communists controlled the South (with the capital Helsinki) and the Eastern parts.

The Finnish Red Army was commanded by Eero Haapalainen wich was assisted by Russian Colonel Svetjnikov. The Red Army was divided on three fronts:

1. Eastern. CO Comrade Backman, 2/C Comrade Vladimirov.
2. Middle. CO Comrade Hasu, 2/C Comrade Roine.
3.Western. CO Comrade Salmela, 2/C Colonel Bulatsel (Russian).

Photo: Red Guards Cavalry.
Attached Images

Old 24-12-04, 15:36
RIP

Default Red and White offensives

In March 1918 the Red Guards commanded by Hugo Salmela launched an offensive:

1. Right flank Längelmäki - some 2.000 men.
2. Centre Korkeakoski - some 5.000 men.
3. Left flank Lyly - Kuru - some 4.000 men.

Mannerheim identified the city of Tampere (Tammefors) to be the key point. He attacked with three Battle Groups.

1. Col Martin Wetzer (ex-Russian Col)
2. Col Karl Fredrik Wilkman (ex-Russian Col)
3. Col Ernst Linder (ex-Swedish LtCol)

In the end of March 1918 the White troops closed in on Tampere.

Picture: Tampere operations.
Attached Images

Old 24-12-04, 15:53
RIP

Default The death of Hugo Salmela

The Red CO in Tampere, Hugo Salmela was born in 1884. He was a worker but also an actor. Salmela was also by the whites considered as a "good" man.

On 28th March 1918 Salmelas HQ was heavily drinking. Salmela - who did not take part in this "party" - had sent two messages to his superiors:

- I am tired since I have run this affaire alone. Here is noone that could help me at all.

- This morning we decided not to surrender even if they bombard the whole city into rubble.

A certain Comrade Salminen arrived in the HQ asking:

- What the f---ng hell is going on here. What kind of carbaret is this?

When he received no answer he took a hand-granade from a box. He armed it and threw it back in the box. Thus he blew up the Red HQ in Tampere. Amongst the dead was Hugo Salmela.

Photo: Hugo Salmela - a responsible leader and stainless as a person.
Attached Images

Old 24-12-04, 22:17

Default Baby, it's cold outside

I love the story about the unknown Finnish soldier -- Sibelius indeed!

I rather like what Marshal Timoshenko said when somebody asked a to-him inane question:

"We have won enough ground to bury our dead."

Merry Christmas to all

Bob
Old 25-12-04, 03:27
Dog Robber

Stellan:

Take a holiday tomorrow, well today your time, but please keep this thread going it is really interesting both from an historical perspective as well as the most fascinating quotes.

We have now gotten past Christmas Eve sales in my store and now only have to deal with a few days of returned merchandise and then I can spend more time researching some of my own sources on this era of history.

You are better at it than I am, but I was thinking of posting some stuff about the relationship between Norway/Denmark/Sweden/Finland, the three crowns era, Swedens relationship with Finland etc. There too is an interesting story. I would suspect many on this board who are not from the Scandinavian countries are aware of the political organization of Scandinavia during the late 19th and early 20th Century. Please take my lead and do a better job of relating the story than I can.

Cheers and a very Merry Christmas
Dog Robber
Old 25-12-04, 11:33
RIP

Default Scandinavian history in a nutshell

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray

I was thinking of posting some stuff about the relationship between Norway/Denmark/Sweden/Finland, the three crowns era, Swedens relationship with Finland etc.
Thank you Bill!

Today most people fall into an anachronistic trap when trying to understand history. It is difficult to understand how different the conditions were some hundred or more years ago. So here are some simple facts.

1. The importance of water. Until railroads were built in the 19th century it was quicker and easier to travel by boat (even a rowing-boat) than to ride or walk non existant roads.

2. Mountains and forests were obstacles. It was essential to control harbours and river-mouths for collecting taxes and customs.

3. Now we understand why Sweden and Finland were united by the Baltic. Denmark and Norway were united by the North Sea.

4. Sweden and Norway were separated by mountains and forrests.

5. When the economy was based on agriculture Denmark was the dominant power in Scandinavia.

6. A growing market for wood products and iron made Sweden stronger. Heavy transports were carried out in summertime by sea and wintertime on land when snow provided friction and the ground was frozen and hard.

7. Norway is not suited for agriculture and has no iron ore. Norway remained the "poor cousin" until oil was found some decades ago.

8. The southern parts of Sweden (Provinces Blekinge - Skåne - Halland) were from the beginning a part of Denmark - united by the Baltic Straits. The border zone was the great forests in Småland.

9. In 1397 Denmark, Norway and Sweden (including Finland) were united under Queen Margaret I.

10. In 1521 Gustav Eriksson Vasa made a rebellion against the King Christian II who was from Denmark. Gustaf Vasa was elected King of Sweden 6th June 1523 - now our National Day.

During the years 1592 to 1598 Sweden and Poland were united under King Sigismund Vasa (grandson of Gustav I Vasa).

11. After 1521 Sweden has fought 31 wars lasting totally 158 years.

12 against Denmark
8 against Russia
6 against Poland
6 against coalitions
1 against France (Napoleon)
1 against Great Britain
1 against Hanseatic forces

12. My favourite is the 1810-1812 war with Great Britain. The hostile Royal Navy was protecting Swedish ships in the Baltic against our allies the Russians. In Gothenburgh the Naval Yard caught fire threathening the whole city. The British blocade fleet came into Gothenburg harbour and helped fighting the fire. Not a single shot was fired in anger during those two years of war! Thank you Admiral Charles de Sumarez! Savour of Gothenburgh.

13. During the 17th century Sweden was a great power. The Baltic was in fact a Swedish lake. Sweden in those days included Finland, Estonia, Northern Latvia and Northern Germany.

14. The great Nordic war 1700-1721 drained Sweden of recourses. The country could not longer afford the navy required to control the Baltic. Russia under Czar Peter grew stronger.

15. In 1808-1809 Finland was lost to Russia. French Marshal Bernadotte was "imported" to regain Finland. Insted he chose peace with Russia and started looking on Norway.

16. In 1814 Denmark lost Norway to Sweden. A union was formed between Norway and Sweden under a common King. This union was dissolved in 1905.

SUMMARY

There are four basic conflicts forming Swedish military history
(see arrows marked 1 - 4).

1. Danish demands for hegemony in Scandinavia.
2. Russian demands for a "window to the West".
3. Polish demands in the Littorial provinces.
4. German demands for Pommerania.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 29-12-04 at 11:57.
Old 25-12-04, 12:19
RIP

Default Finlands path -- continued

After capturing Tampere LtGen Mannerheim started moving South. The Senate wanted help from Germany but Mannerheim was against because he thought the Finnish White Army could win the war without foreign help.

The Senate however asked for German aid and on 3rd April 1918 the German Baltic Division under MjGen Count Ruediger von der Goltz arrived in Hanko harbour. (In this Division was a o Swedish Cpt Gilbert Hamilton and German 1Lt Heinrich Schippel which I will present to you in later posts).

The well trained and well equipped Germans cut the Red defences like a hot knife in butter retaking Helsinki 12th April 1918.

Photo: German troops entering Helsinki.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 25-12-04 at 14:35.
Old 25-12-04, 12:55
RIP

Default Professor Dr. Major Heinz Schippel

As mentioned in last post 1Lt Heinrich (Heinz) Schippel arrived in Finland 1918. He was a reserve officer and forrest-master.

After the war Heinz Schippel stayed in Finland as manager of forest industrys. He became a major of the Finnish Army reserve. After some years he returned to Germany to take over the family estate and industry from his father.

Heinz Schippel was now a Finnish citizen and became Consular of Finland in Dresden. His father had during WW 1 served as a Captain.

So here is a story about Mr Schippel senior. The old man was in 1934 sitting in his favourite Bierstube enjoying a cold beer amongst his friends. Three SA-men with uniforms and swasticas arrived:

- Mr Schippel!
- Yes, I am here.
- Mr Schippel! We have noticed that you allways have the flag high on the Kaisers birthday!
- Yes, that I allways do.
- We have also noticed that there is no flag flying on the Fuehrers birthday!
- Fuehrer? The only Fuehrer I know of was a Hundefuehrer (Dog trainer) in my Company during the war. Why should I honour his birthday?
- We do not talk of your Hundefuehrer but our Great Fuehrer - Adolf Hitler!
- Hitler? Adolf Hitler? That name sounds familiar. Have they written about him in the newspaper lately?
- Blödsinniger Mann. Stupid old fool! Heil Hitler!

When the SA-men had left. Mr Schippel offered his friends a beer saying:

- There I took them once more!

Anyhow Heinz Schippel had four children. Himself he was 1st Lt in the German Army and Major in the Finnish Army.

His oldest son became a 1st Lt in the German Wehrmacht during WW 2 (and later a Priest).

His daughter became a nurse and 1st Lt with the British Forces post WW 2.

His next son became Captain in the Finnish Army reserve.

The youngest son became Captain in the Swedish Army reserve (retired this summer).

Heinz Schippel met his second wife in Finland. She was born in Russia as Countess von Vittinghoff-Scheel. After the revolution she became Estonian citizen and after marrying Heinz Finnish citizen. After WW 2 they managed to leave Eastern Germany (DDR) and emigrated to Sweden where they became Swedish citizens.

Heinz had been citizen in three countries (Germany - Finland - Sweden) and his wife four (Russia - Estonia - Finland - Sweden). She died some years ago aged 99.

Four armies in one family - European modern history in a nutshell.

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 25-12-04 at 13:25.
Old 25-12-04, 13:21
RIP

Default Gilbert Hamilton

Count Gilbert Hamilton was a Captain of the Swedish Cavalry. In 1914 he volunteerd for Germany.

After serving on the Eastern Front and in Finland he was promoted Major and 1918 CO of 3rd Prussian Cavalry Regiment "Graf Wrangel".

When the German - Russian peace treaty was signed in March 1918 his regiment was in Ukraine. There was a civil war going on. Gilbert Hamilton and his regiment fought their way back to Germany. It took almost one year.

On 20th Februar 1919 he arrived in Königsberg with his regiment. The citizens of Königsberg were amazed - they had a long time beleived that the regiment was lost in Russia.

After the war Hamilton rejoined the Swedish Army as a Colonel. After retiring he in 1929 took up the position as ADC to ex-Kaiser Wilhelm II then in exile in Doorn, the Netherlands.

In August 1939 Gilbert Hamilton was promoted MjGen in the German Army.

When the Germans invaded the Netherlands on 10th May 1940 ex-Kaiser Wilhelm II considered to follow Queen Wilhelmina into exile in Great Britain (Sic!). (The ex-Kaiser died in 1941).

Count Gilbert Hamilton died in Sweden 1947 aged 78. During WW 1 he introduced a tobacco mixture that became popular as Hamiltons blandning. Therefore he was in Sweden known as the "Tobacco-Count".

Photo: Major-General Hamilton in 1939.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 25-12-04 at 15:51.
Old 25-12-04, 13:54
RIP

Default Finlands path -- continued

In April 1918 Mannerheim was ready for the final act - the assault on Viborg (Viipuri - now Russian Vyborg) near the border to Russia.

He launched the White Eastern Army (12 Infantry Regiments, Artillery and supporting units) under command of MjGen Toll (Löfström, ex-Russian Col).

The Army was divided on three Battle Groups.

1. Mj Gen Wilkman (ex-Russian Col). 7.200 men with 18 guns.

2. Col Ausfeld (ex-German Capt, Co 27th Rifle Bn). 6.000 men with 8 guns.

3. Maj Sihvo (ex-27th Rifle Bn). 4.500 men with 15 guns.

The final assault on Viborg was made on 29th April 1918 and marked the end of the liberation and civil wars.

Map: Viborg operations April 1918.
Attached Images

Old 25-12-04, 14:09
RIP

Default Finland - the end of this story

On 16th May 1918 Mannerheim - now promoted full General - led his Army into Helsinki.

Mannerheim (who was fluent in German) disliked Germany and Germans. He however did like a few Germans. One was Colonel Ausfeld who had been CO of 27th Rifle Bn.

He however distrusted MjGen von der Goltz.

Finland elected a German Prince as King. This is almost forgotten today. When Germany lost WW 1 the King was discretely asked not to claim the throne.

Mannerheim resigned as C-in-C on 30th May 1918. He was later 13th December 1918 elected Riksföreståndare (Temporary President) of Finland and served as such for seven months.

After retiring from office he later for some years run a restaurant in Hanko. He once said:

"It is a hard fate to know how good food should taste".

Photo: General Mannerheim entering Helsinki on Victory Day 16th May 1918.
Attached Images

Old 25-12-04, 15:21
RIP

Default Mannerheim

For many years Mannerheim was "too big" for Finland. He was kept aside from official life.

In 1931 the Chairman of the Senate P.E. Svinhufvud (which translated means Pig´s head) who in 1918 had made Mannerheim C-in-C was elected President of Finland.

He took office on 1st March 1931 and the next day he offered Mannerheim to be Chairman of the Defence Comittée (and also C-in-C in case of war). This became effective on 10th June 1931.

On 19th May 1933 - 15 years after the Victory in the independence/civil war - Mannerheim was promoted Field Marshal (which required new legislation since that grade did not exist in the Finnish Army).

Mannerheim had in 1892 married Anastasie Agapova (20) daugther of MjGen Nikolaj Agapov. They had two daughters. They soon separated although formally divorcing several years later.

Countess Anastasie Mannerheim neé Agapova died in Paris 31st December 1936. It rose attention that he signed her obituary despite having been divorced for many years. He also went to the Ortodox Church in Helsinki and kneeling bade for her soul.

He was once asked if the measure of luck is constant during life. He answered:

"Perhaps - but only until you are sixty. Thereafter you grow more and more alone. Your friends and relatives die away and you cannot congregate with young people like you used to do".

Of death he said:

"It is difficult to realize that one day everything has come to an end. But on the other side it is difficuilt to understand in what shape a continuation could follow".

To add to his caracter it could be said that he had an attraction for ladies. Gentlemen prefere blonds - but Mannerheim was more interested in red-haired and well-designed Countesses.

Photo: Field Marshal Mannerheim on his daily ride tour through Helsinki (I think this pic is taken just before outbreak of WW 2).

Edited: Wow! Now I see it. The horse is Kate. She was a "passage-walker" (is that the expression). See picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 25-12-04 at 19:52.
Old 25-12-04, 15:42
RIP

Default Russian quotes

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter

"We have won enough ground to bury our dead."
Thanks for that one, Bob!

It made me remember another one:

I think it was the later Marshal Zjukov who got into troubles with Marshal Tuchatjevski (later murdered by order of Stalin). Manouvers had been held and Tuchatjevski arrived on horseback:

- So, Colonel Zjukov, what do you think of these manouvers.

Zjukov knew that he was trapped. Regardless if he prized or critizised the manoevers Tuchatjevski should find the answer wrong (Tuchatjevski could sometimes be somewhat sadistic).

- I think we are lucky, Marshal. Only the Red Army has a commander that is such a brilliant horseman as you, Sir!

Tuchatjevski (who was egocentric) swallowed that without hesitation.
Old 25-12-04, 17:01
Dog Robber

Thank you Stellan:

Excellent job on Scandinavian History!!!!!!!!

I cannot contribute too much just yet as I have to go through some books but I can share some "Urban Legends" that I learned while living in Sweden.

The Danes are the best lovers
The Finns are the best fighters (but at least in Goteborg the Volvo Finnish workers kept live chickens and pigs in their flats much to the disgust of the other tenants)
Swedish men are the tallest, best looking and the strongest (but they drink too much just like the Finns)
The Norwegians (the poor cousins) were at that time considered as illiterate goat herders, sorry to Rolf, but now I bet it is really different since the oil boom.
Swedish women are the most beautiful, something I tend to agree with.
Poles were illiterate pig farmers suitable only for being maids and streetsweepers.

I type this in jest, even though the words may seem harsh but that was the general opinion 30 years ago.

To contribute to your remarks about how complicated European history is, I also found it quite interesting to observe the differences between different regions in Sweden. Sweden while a rather large country by European standards, has a pretty small population. In spite of this the regional differences were quite remarkable to a foreigner. The West Coast Swedes thought the East Coasters were snobbish royalists, the Stockholmers though of the Westerners as a bunch of lazy fishermen. The whole of the North population looked down on those of the South as a bunch of farmers. Those in the South thought of those in the North as a bunch reindeer cowboys who wore funny hats and so on.

The other marked difference to me was that when in Skane or other parts of the South, my carefully learned Swedish did me no good at all. I could understand maybe two words out of ten even though they understood me perfectly. I had to learn that I spoke Goteborgska, Stockholmers Stockholmska and southerners Skanska and they were almost totally separate languages.
Also interesting was that on my many visits to the West Coast of Finland, I could find any number of ethnic Finns who still spoke Swedish as their native language in the home.

Just a few remembrances of my so happy time in your beautiful land.
Cheers
Bill
Old 25-12-04, 17:23
RIP

Default Zjukov

Grigori Zjukov was an ex-Czarist NCO. After WW 2 he became Minister of Defence under the Chrusjtjov regime. He was however sacked by Chrusjtjov for saying one single wrong word.

There were rumours of a coup détat in Moscow. Premier Chrusjtjov asked the Marshal:

- Are the troops reliable?

- Mr Prime Minister, the troops will only march on my order.

The right answer should be will only march on orders from the Politbureau.

Chrusjtjev became afraid that Zjukov had to much power - sent him on a tour abroad - and in the meantime had him transferred to the retired list.

Picture:
Since I could not find a photo of Grigori Zjukov - Marshal of the Soviet Union - I use the Zjukov medal I was awarded in 1999.
Attached Images