MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 28-11-16, 17:24

Default Radar

Hi Tom,

I will try to call you this week . Had a hectic schedule last week sorry I did not call sooner.

To all radar aficionado's here are a few shots of one of our surveillance radar installations here in Comox.

You see the radome from the outside .

Then from the inside .

The projector and the antennae proper.

In the last shot , behind the antenna you see the ladder that goes on top for the maintenance of UHF/ VHF radio aerials and position lights.

This was my first time inside a functioning radar . It is due to be decommissioned in the next few days .
Attached Thumbnails
Radar 1.JPG   Radar 2.JPG   Radar 3.JPG   Radar 4.JPG   Radar 5.JPG  

94 LSVW
Old 28-11-16, 19:09

Great pictures. You sure are getting a chance to get around and see the sights. If I recall, that location was an original Pine Tree Line site started up around 1954. Some of the other concrete structures were there at the north end of the runway a few years ago. There used to be an excellent web site with history and pictures from the sites across Canada, but unfortunately, the site owner passed away and the site went with him. Comox was well represented in photos there.
Old 13-12-16, 00:30

Default Santa is coming again this year

The Air Force has a tradition of following Santa on Christmas Eve all the way from the North Pole to little kid's homes on their radar screens.

This year is no exception.

So, I wish you all on MLU a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

May all of your big boy dreams come through and your significant other not mind at all.

Cheers from Comox BC Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
19 WOps Season's Greetings Card 2016.jpg  
94 LSVW
Old 09-01-17, 06:49

Default Back in Comox

Hello my new friends from Vancouver Island , i am back with some goodies ( HMV related of course ) from back East. Will contact you in the next few days . I haven't found room for that M152/M37 hot water cabin heater but next time promise . Weather looks like solid VFR for the next few days so i should be out flying . I will be available for delivery when the clouds and the icing come back at the end of the week. Cheers.
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 09-01-17 at 07:09.
Old 11-01-17, 18:52

Default Office with a view

This is what I come in for work for every day.

Took this recently.

A C-177 , the most expensive aircraft development project in the history of aviation to date.

Now we will break new development cost records with the fighter replacement project.

Serial number 177705.

The 705 th made ?
Attached Thumbnails
Large visitor.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 25-01-17 at 23:49.
Old 11-01-17, 20:13
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Hi Robert,

Speaking of Comox I was going through some photos my father had taken during WW2. He served with the RCN and was stationed at Comox in 1942. I wonder if any of these buildings survived. I believe they were on Goose Spit. Google Earth just shows rooftops.

At the time he was there this was known as HMCS Naden III. It was a training facility for Combined Operations. Could explain where his Fairbairn Sykes knife came from.

Seems to be a lot of Braid about that day.

cheers,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
comox1.jpg   comox2.jpg   comox3.jpg  
Old 11-01-17, 21:10

My guess about the buildings on Goose Spit is "some may possibly remain". There are definitely H Huts both on Goose Spit and at CFB Comox. My (faulty?) memory of Comox is 2 storey H huts and the shadows on Google at Goose Spit look shorter than those in Comox, suggesting single storey at Goose Spit. I don't see an obvious match for the smaller buildings...
Old 12-01-17, 05:39

Default Goose Spit Comox

I have a few pictures of the old camp taken in the mid '60s. Lots of good memories of cadet summer training at HMCS Quadra in those days.
The 'H' huts you see today in the eastern part of the camp were built from prefabs in the early '70s. I think they came from out east out of some war stores. Looking a google today, the most of the original buildings are gone, except possibly for 2 that border what was the parade square. These were originally built in an 'E' configuration, with the mess hall and kitchen on the north end. It looks like the mess hall and kitchen are gone, as well as the NE wing of the barracks. There are many new structures, none of which can identify.

For those that are not familiar with Goose Spit, it was only water access from the Comox jetty until in the late '60s or early '70s when a road was constructed along the narrow part of the Spit, now a regional park. Before the road, everything to support the camp came by water, loaded by hand at the Comox jetty. At one time, there was a 1000 yd range with butts at the east end and firing points built on raised berms. These were supported by large concrete walls. When the road was built, the butts were demolished and one by one the firing points have been removed.

The RCAF had crash boats stationed at the HMCS Quadra jetty and still operate out of that location. One of my recollections was sailing on Baynes Sound and seeing Neptune A/S aircraft coming out from the Comox airbase. The area has lots of history, both naval and army.

In nearby Courtenay, a camp and training area operated during WW2. I have seen pictures of landing craft rafted up at a government dock in a channel off the Puntledge River. These were apparently used to train crews for beach landing operations. Just south of Goose Spit is an island, now a Marine Park which at one time, had steel observation spotting towers and barbed wire installation all over the place. The sandbars in that area were used for naval bombardment, with the ships shelling from out in Georgia Strait. The area came to the attention of the Forces when two high school students discovered a mortar round in an undeveloped area next to the nearby High School and were killed when it exploded. This whole area had been part of the ranges for the Courtenay Camp. As a result, soldiers were sent to do a complete sweep of the old range and camp areas, and also the naval impact area. During that July, one of the lowest tides in many years occurred and revealed literally tons of shells, hidden by the tides and sand since WW2. A large quantity were destroyed and the area cleaned of all remaining military structures.

If anyone has any pictures to add from those days, it would be great if they could be posted here. I've seen some over the years but can't recall where anymore.

Edit: I found a collection of relatively current pictures of the buildings on Goose Spit. The original buildings seen in the background of one of the photos was part of the single level 'E' shaped quarters that still existed in the later '70s. The new pictures show them gone and one of the wings has been replaced by a 2 story building, likely accommodation. All the other buildings that I recall, are no longer there and many new structures have expanded the camp from its original Post WW2 layout.

The Courtenay Army Camp is was actually called the Sandwick Army Camp and there was another set of barracks at what is now Lewis Park near the slough that the landing craft were tied up in, off the river. All this information was gleaned from the local museum website and another dedicated to the HMCS Quadra sea cadet camp.

Last edited by Jes Andersen; 13-01-17 at 18:16. Reason: Updated Building Status
Old 12-01-17, 20:47

Bruce , Grant and Jes,

Thank you for your posts. Very informative.

I went for a hop for you this morning and took some pictures that you might enjoy of HMCS Quadra as it is called today..

Here they are.. The gate sign, the aerial view from an Aurora, the H Huts Jes alluded to, the old WW2 storeroom and a great view of the Warf with the 2 current RCAF rescue ( yellow ) boats. They are also used for the Sea Training of the aircrew.

The 1 st Special Service Force ( 1 SSF ) was garrisoned in Nanaimo and Courtenay at one time at the beginning of the War in the Pacific. Training was conducted in Courtenay with landing craft for the upcoming operation Cottage in the Aleutians ( Kiska Island ) Alaska against the Japanese. There are remnants and souvenirs of the passage of the Force around here. Sykes- Fairbairn or the V-46 fighting knive and a few artifacts found at the nice museum in Nanaimo are some examples.

I did a paper in Staff College on the Force so I got to read up a lot on them and got to appreciate the extreme circumstances of their employment and heroism in Italy notably and later in France .

Anyway, keep it coming , I would love hearing more from people with local experience.

PS. I don't know if someone noticed but in Bruce's pictures there are very high ranking Naval Flag officers there.... with an Aide de Camp Lieutenant ( N ) following dutifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Sign Quadra.JPG   Gosse spit  paradise for sailors.JPG   H Huts Quadra.JPG   WW2 building Goose Spit.JPG   Harbour quadra.JPG  

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-01-17 at 00:23.
Old 12-01-17, 22:39

Default Operation Cottage.

A very big affair . A Combined Operations thing , one of the very first of the Second World War. Amphibious , Forward Air Support , Naval Gunfire .

Canada had a whole Brigade involved. I knew a gentleman . Mr. Pelletier from Sherbrooke Qc were I am from , that participated.

He had enlisted as an NCM in Le Régiment the Hull to participate in that one . He eventually was combat promoted to an officer commission in Europe and later became the CO of my former Militia Regiment , The Sherbrooke Fusiliers after the war.

As it turned out , the Japs had left when the Combined Forces arrived . The only casualties were from friendly fire in the fog.
It is still used in Staff College as an example of the employment of a Joint Force at the Operational Level.

The 1 st special Service Force was the Special Forces component of a conventional amphibious Force during Op Cottage . They were charged with capturing certain C2 points ( Command and control ) but ultimately they encountered no opposition.

Initial training of the force was in St- Helena Montana . The beach landing training was done here.
It was a big thing at the time and it is still a big thing today and it all started in and around Courtenay BC .

They were the first. today's Canadian Special Operations Forces ( SOF ) are the direct descendants and have made theirs the symbol representing the 1 SSF, the V-42 fighting knife.

It is a big deal in my view. A very big deal.We do have a military history and it is worth telling.

Cheers.
Attached Images

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-01-17 at 00:20.
Old 13-01-17, 18:30

Default Goose Spit Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures dated 2004 of the Goose Spit buildings and surrounding area. These were taken off a web site that has years of the Quadra cadet camp photos. The rest can be viewed here:
https://cadetsbc.smugmug.com/HMCSQua...f-HMCS-QUADRA/
Attached Thumbnails
Goose Spit 1.jpg   Goose Spit 2.jpg   Goose Spit 3.jpg  
Old 13-01-17, 18:42
Terry Warner

Default Internet Wayback Machine

[QUOTE=Jes Andersen;231667]Great pictures. You sure are getting a chance to get around and see the sights. If I recall, that location was an original Pine Tree Line site started up around 1954. Some of the other concrete structures were there at the north end of the runway a few years ago. There used to be an excellent web site with history and pictures from the sites across Canada, but unfortunately, the site owner passed away and the site went with him. Comox was well represented in photos there.[/QUOTE]

The page might not necessarily be gone.
1) If you have the URL, go to the Internet Wayback Machine Archives site. They are a massive webpage archiving movement (more than a project by now). Their robots scan millions of pages a day and take a snapshot. The results are searchable on a calendar type interface. But you need the URL to start.
2)Sometimes Google and others will have previously searched and scanned pages, and that can be a start if you don't have the URL.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 13-01-17, 19:11

Default Internet Way Back

Thanks Terry, I do have the URL on another desktop at home. When I get back up there. I'll look for it. The site in question had lots of great pictures and information about the Pine Tree Line across Canada. Lots of stuff to take you away for hours. I'll see what I end up with...
Old 13-01-17, 20:02
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Bruce , Grant and Jes,
PS. I don't know if someone noticed but in Bruce's pictures there are very high ranking Naval Flag officers there.... with an Aide de Camp Lieutenant ( N ) following dutifully.
The fellow with the glasses looks like Vice-Admiral Percy Nelles, Chief of Naval Staff.
Attached Thumbnails
LeadersNelles.jpg  
Old 13-01-17, 20:31

Jes, Terry , Bruce, thanks for the great comments and info.

Jes & Terry : The Pinetree line website still exists and it is alive and well . It is now hosted by the Jimmy Museum in Kingston. I will try to find the link for you but I have been on it several times over the last year or so..

Bruce : Brilliant . That's the guy. Now , why would the Chief of Naval Staff drop in on such a little , remote and relatively unknown Naval installation do you think ? Remember that at the time the site could only be reached by boat as there was no causeway . Suggestions ?

The MLU site is fantastic for this kind of stuff.

94 LSVW
Old 13-01-17, 20:42

Default Quadra from the Aurora

This is not a particularly good picture but it is my picture. I took it from the right side of the cockpit of the Aurora.

It shows how relatively remote HMCS Quadra is. During WW2 there was no causeway, no link to shore . All material and personnel had to be ferried over. So secrecy could be relatively preserved for whatever training was being conducted here.

Directly West is Comox proper with Courtenay due South. North , across the Straight is Powell River but that's far.

How do we learn more ? I think the 1st SSF is involved in the answer.

Bruce , dare I say again that you were brilliant in finding that picture ( Chief of Naval Staff ) ? Brilliant.
Attached Thumbnails
Quadra from the Aurora.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-01-17 at 20:52.
Old 13-01-17, 21:41

Default Pinetree Line web site

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetr.../homepage.html

Here it is !

Enjoy
94 LSVW
Old 13-01-17, 21:43

Default Pinetree Line

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/RCAF.html

Here is something else.

You are welcome.
94 LSVW
Old 13-01-17, 21:50

Default Comox front gate circa 1956

Here's a picture I just found on the Pinetree Line web site.

The building is still in existence. It contains the scaled down Base theatre , the MVSO ( motor vehicle safety office ) and the very , very nice museum.

My place of employment. Paradise.
Attached Thumbnails
Comox theatre circa 1956.jpeg  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-01-17 at 22:36.
Old 14-01-17, 02:05

Default Pinetree Line Website

Its great to see that this excellent collection continues to be available to us and remains an enduring tribute and the legacy of its creator Ren L'Ecuyer.

I have been fortunate enough to have visited a number of these sites over the years. I always wondered about each of them until I stumbled upon the web site years ago.
Old 14-01-17, 08:26
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default Comox

The attached photos are from the 1970's. HMCS Quadra parade square. I spent my Summer's there from 1973 to 1979.
Attached Thumbnails
HMCS Quadra 1976 a.jpg   HMCS Quadra b.jpg  
Old 14-01-17, 17:43

Default Buildings

Al, The one picture that Bruce posted would have been taken from the top left of yours of the whole parade square. Your pic shows that the original buildings are still there to the left. In the aerial pics, the breeze way is still there but the rest are gone. The original wooden cutters and whalers were wintered under there. Good memories....

Have to thank Bob for keeping up his postings with some pretty interesting stuff. Its now Maj Bob's Excellent Adventure....
Old 16-01-17, 20:22

Default Air Force and CMP's

Hello friends,

Went for a pint at the local pub called the Griffin after a tame TGIF.

It has all sorts of Air Force related pictures on the walls.

But... there was a CMP picture in there as well. Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned.

Look at this one. I see a CMP 15 CWT G.S. truck on the right .

On the left a variety of unidentified trailers .

On top , what I think of as Hurricanes or are they Spitfires ?

Did I say already this was an incredible place and that the museum is worth a visit ?
Attached Thumbnails
Air force picture 1.JPG   Air Force picture 2.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 16-01-17 at 23:42.
Old 16-01-17, 20:44

Default Photograph

Spitfires and British RAF TAF vehicles.
Old 24-01-17, 17:10

Default Depart with Dignity

Thanks Ed. You are always there to provide the reliable information.

On another note, I am leaving this week the most outstanding organisation in the Canadian Armed Forces : 19 Wing Comox.

I have met very nice MLU members in the area and they made me feel most welcome in their little paradise here. I will miss them.

My new assignment will be CFB Esquimalt in Victoria BC.

So last week I was given the opportunity to visit my new work environment and here is the view from my new apartment I am moving in on Base at the Wardroom.

It will be an entirely new experience for me as I have had very limited exposure with the Senior Service. I look forward to it.

Two things on the radar for me now : Sea Kings ( And it's soon incoming replacement, the Cyclone ) and submarines.

I will be severely restricted on the pictures being taken but I will still post something for our viewers.

Godspeed to my new friends in the Comox Valley !

Go Navy !
Attached Thumbnails
View from Wardroom.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 14-02-17 at 17:30.
Old 24-01-17, 17:57
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

When you get settled you might want to visit the Victoria chapter of Western Command and splice the mainbrace. The group meets at 7pm on the second Wednesday of each month (next February 08 ) at the Royal Canadian Legion Britannia branch #7 located at 780 Summit ave in Victoria. (Near the Canadian Tire on Douglas street).
Old 31-01-17, 22:03

Default Esquimalt

Some of the views from my quarters over at the Wardroom in Esquimalt.

In the first picture , a small warship and in the second some shipping vessel.

In the backdrop , the mountains of Washington State USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Warship at sea.JPG   Shipping.JPG  
94 LSVW
Old 14-02-17, 17:13

Default New adventures in Victoria

I am in Esquimalt now, but I think I will continue the thread as it is .

I have met Tom Clark and I can state that he is a fine gentleman. He has showed me around and introduced me to HMV enthusiasts all over town. Thanks Tom.

Here are a few more pictures of my new surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails
Rodd hill sign.JPG   sign close.JPG   Gun and tower.JPG   Sub.JPG   old gun.JPG  

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 15-02-17 at 00:33.
Old 17-03-17, 17:28

Default Victoria in the spring

Not a military oriented post but it is nice to smell the flowers once in a while.

Enjoying spring in Victoria while my friends from across Canada and the US and especially the ones in the East ( NH included ) are suffering from a very harsh winter...

Taken in front of our local church last Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Cerisiers en fleur a victoria.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-03-17 at 22:15.
Old 20-03-17, 17:07

Default Esquimalt

Small building that houses the Lookout , the base paper on CFB Esquimalt .
Attached Thumbnails
Petite maison de briques de la Base d'Esquimalt.JPG  
94 LSVW