MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-10-05, 23:55
Richard Notton

Default Re: I suspect

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
The exceptions would be places where people don't have a choice, like airliners and public transport.
For us public transport is a short-term trip so no problem not smoking there, trains do have a smoking carriage as a general rule but it seems to me that some official lobbying has taken place to shame the smokers inasmuch that these are the most unkempt and tatty pieces of stock they can find.

Its my experience that in the halcyon days of a smoking section on airliners, the booking software was likely a MS issue 0.1; invariably all those who asked for smoking were pushed up front and the most vocal non-smokers were invariably in the last 5 smoking rows.

Usually, owing to a computer glitch, there would be one smoker amazingly correctly allocated but then the whingeing mayhem would break out when he or she correctly sparked-up and then there followed a game of musical chairs with the pros and cons re-allocating themselves according to common sense.

Then of course you could get that momentary uplifting relief when finally seated in the check-in desk confirmed smoking rows to have the well made-up cabin girlie announce that the smoking rows now arbitarily started two behind where you were.

Latterly the SS trained cabin staff refused this outbreak of common sense and insisted you could only exchange seats on a transient basis for the duration of the ciggie.

Notwithstanding the hype about careful design and control of cabin environment and airflow, we now have the mob rule of the antis, but it seems to me that a simple curtain and the already designed rearward airflow met all the criteria.

Of course you can still smoke on an airliner, the crew do all the time and have demonstrated on TV.

1. Lock yourself in the bog and ignore the cable tie attached smoke detector, open the wash basin drain to start the vacuum drain system and ensure the ciggie and exhaled smoke is in the basin.

2. Befriend a smoking member of the cabin staff and use the galley as they do where entirely similar to 1 above, the perforated drip tray for the tea and coffee urns is under constant and strong exhaust air flow.

I suspect the nanny state will be issuing cotton wool lined boxes anytime soon.

R.
Old 08-10-05, 00:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default LMAO!

You're a very insightful chappie and I well recall the shenannigans on-board from those who smoked and didn't smoke.

I've never seen the galley smoking - but it sounds sensible... I recall once hearing if you wanted to stop all smoking on board all you had to do was have an asthma attack and call for oxygen.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-10-05, 02:05
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: EEK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I can tell you as we speak that Gitanes are bloody awful... even worse than Yank ciggies! I'm going to have to go out and find something DECENT to smoke, as I don't know where SUNRAY MINOR's reserve stock is and I won't last a day on these bloody French things...
This is an old thread, but what the hell, eh?

Sunray speaks of Gitanes...try some Disc Blue for a real rush!!!
Old 08-10-05, 09:05
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: EEK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Sunray speaks of Gitanes...try some Disc Blue for a real rush!!!

OH DEAR!!!!!!

I thought all you Canadian Colonials spoke Frog. . . . . . . . .

Disque Bleu, surely.

R.
Old 08-10-05, 09:22
Richard Notton

Default Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
You're a very insightful chappie and I well recall the shenannigans on-board from those who smoked and didn't smoke.

I've never seen the galley smoking - but it sounds sensible... I recall once hearing if you wanted to stop all smoking on board all you had to do was have an asthma attack and call for oxygen.

We had a documentary recently narrated by a selection of the cabin staff about all the goings-on in aircraft, The Mile High Club it was appropriately called, and, apart from how to; well, do it as it were, there were other insights.

They cautioned about using the bog in certain dual personal configurations since the call button is directly behind the trap and repeatedly contacting this would have the staff use their door key.

The crew retaliation for very awkward and demanding passengers was a revelation too. These people may unwittingly be eating dinner previously recovered from the floor where it "accidentally" fell; but best of all is the eye drops trick.

Because of the dry atmosphere it seems eye drops are standard issue, however, two drops of this tasteless stuff in a drink will bring on a bout of exceedingly loose bowels of the worst kind and without warning, this may start before the flight has landed and allegedly will last at least 24hrs.

Best not to have the trots during the incarcerated and enforced wait for immigration, baggage reclaim and customs.

Fascinating stuff, best be reasonable with the cabin obergruppenführers, they do have the upper hand.

Personally I fell sorry for them, it must be a hell of a job.

R.
Old 08-10-05, 13:20
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Personally I fell sorry for them, it must be a hell of a job.
Many of them, including my sister in law, say it's a paid vacation, really...

H.
Old 08-10-05, 18:13

Amazing how democratic and fairminded people from Norway
(and Iceland) are.
Old 09-10-05, 01:40
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: EEK!

Quote:

OH DEAR!!!!!!

I thought all you Canadian Colonials spoke Frog. . . . . . . . .

Disque Bleu, surely.

R.
Mea culpa...wrong spelling.

Attributable to senior's brain fart.
Old 09-10-05, 08:53
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Many of them, including my sister in law, say it's a paid vacation, really...

H.
So say Mrs McSpool also?

R.
Old 09-10-05, 09:01
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: EEK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Mea culpa...wrong spelling.

Attributable to senior's brain fart.
Ah, know it well, I'm in the final 8 months training for grumpy old fart with CRAFT syndrome, watch out for D -1 2006. . . . . . . . .

Just digging into the donated stock of Yank king size straight-thru Pall Malls' as a change from rollies, got my large mug of tea and the sun is shining (!)

R.
Old 09-10-05, 09:37
Commonwealth NOT Europe

With the first cuppa of the day - trying to decide whether to smoke a ready-made or to roll up some more 'Samson' (- for the macho smoker )- the main point to decide is do I really want my throat wire-brushed on a Sunday morning?

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 09-10-05, 10:11
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
With the first cuppa of the day - trying to decide whether to smoke a ready-made or to roll up some more 'Samson' (- for the macho smoker )- the main point to decide is do I really want my throat wire-brushed on a Sunday morning?
No contest, the answer is always yes.

Incidentally, the supermarkets do carry Pall Mall rolling baccy and I find it entirely agreeable being a tasty as Samson or Drum but with a little less wire brush effect. Their stocks are usually very limited though and there are only 12.5g packages, suits me as it stays fresher in the tin but I can't be arsed keep going to Sainsbury's, so I despatch Mrs. Notton to Bookers C&C for three boxes of 10 x 12.5g at a time.

Only a bit under ½" tea left, barely one ciggie worth, I'll have to fix that PDQ. . . . . . . . . .

After the next that is.

R.
Old 09-10-05, 16:49
Vets Dottir

Quote:

Incidentally, the supermarkets do carry Pall Mall rolling baccy and I find it entirely agreeable being a tasty as Samson or Drum but with a little less wire brush effect.

R.
Hello Master R.,

DRUM tobacco ... geez, I smoked DRUM, rolled my own ciggies by hand, for 17 years!!!!!!!!! Comes in both pouches and cans

VD/PW
Attached Images

Old 09-10-05, 18:27
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello Master R.,

DRUM tobacco ... geez, I smoked DRUM, rolled my own ciggies by hand, for 17 years!!!!!!!!! Comes in both pouches and cans

VD/PW
Geez, baccy here is never in cans, no one could ever afford a can in one go without taking a second mortgage.

I haven't even see Players' (real ones without mufflers) or Senior Service in 50s tins since 1951.

Be aware 0.4409245248oz (12.5g for the modern Europhiles) of baccy here is £2.04 at the C&C price, more at a regular outlet; that's CAN$4.21694 according to XECom http://www.xe.net/ucc/

I even make my own roaches to save baccy, simply put the covers of a telephone directory or Yellow Pages into the shredder and get handy 5mm wide strips, these will curl nicely into the ubiquitous, flat 1oz baccy tin.

Ensure you carry a blunted and shortened cocktail stick to act as a baccy tamping rod and a handy tool to roll a ¾" tear-off bit of the strip around to make a one turn, self-expanding roach then easily fitted after a loosish roll and a good tap to make a void pocket one end.

We're not into throwing baccy away at £74.03 (CAN$153.029) a pound.

Would you like a picture of the inside of my baccy tin?

R.
Old 09-10-05, 19:55
MLU Administrator

Quote:
DRUM tobacco ...
Ah, the good old halfzware shag. Master R., can you remember what this translated into?

Quote:
Be aware 0.4409245248oz (12.5g for the modern Europhiles) of baccy here is £2.04
Geez, watch out if you sneeze when rolling a sjekkie or there's a weeks wage blown out of the window.

H.
Old 09-10-05, 20:04
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Geez, baccy here is never in cans, no one could ever afford a can in one go without taking a second mortgage.

Would you like a picture of the inside of my baccy tin?

R.
I could rarely afford a full can either ... just bought the pouches

Yeah sure ... show me the inside of your baccy tin

VD/PW
Old 09-10-05, 20:07
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Ah, the good old halfzware shag. Master R., can you remember what this translated into?

Geez, watch out if you sneeze when rolling a sjekkie or there's a weeks wage blown out of the window.

H.
Hmmmm, Master Dutchboy, you do astound me with your ... SHAG? Is THIS to what you refer?

I KNOW what THAT means in some minds :

Old 09-10-05, 22:34
Richard Notton

Quote:
Well, I did think it inferred a half-dressed bonk, perhaps keeping your socks on, however, I now realise it really means half-heavy and shag is a finer cut of tobacco.

Doubtless those Dutch bargees smoke full-heavy shag in those very Dutch, very short-stemmed pipes. I have one here, little stumpy thing in its own zip-up chamois leather pouch.
Quote:
Exactly so Mijnheer McSpool. Wij zouden dat niet willen, wij?

R.
Old 09-10-05, 22:39
Richard Notton

Quote:
Hmmmm, Master Dutchboy, you do astound me with your ... SHAG? Is THIS to what you refer?
Perhaps "THIS" above should have been a hyperlink to some of the vast quantity of other material that inhabits the internet.
Quote:
I KNOW what THAT means in some minds :
Perhaps "in some minds" should be "in some countries".

R.
Old 09-10-05, 23:15
Richard Notton

Quote:
I could rarely afford a full can either ... just bought the pouches
Yup, join the club.

Fortunately when I was in college in Bournemouth, but not for too long as they dispensed with my services since I didn't turn up for two weeks straight as playing guitar in a rock band every night in the clubs rather precluded an early(ish) start; however, it was a time when most smoked and proper straight-thrus too. The dining room and lounge ash trays of my digs generally provided enough generous dog-ends to be recycled into thinnish but fully operational rollies. When needs must.

Mustabeen about '64 or '65. . . . . .yes indeed, girlies in PVC macs, exceeding short skirts and bouffant hairdos, hmmmmmmm, happy days. . . . . . . Except that the for the twisted engineer who designed the dispensing machines in the gents bogs that made a well known and very characteristic noise somewhat like, but louder than someone loading a 25pdr and slamming the breech shut.

I had a Ford E93W 10cwt van and we could just get all four in it, provided the lead axeman laid along the cabs and the tiny drummer sat on the bassists lap, who incidentally was an Iraqi called Nebil al Shawaf.

'Course it was my own fault as I built the cabs and our lead man had a huge 4 x 12 well before Jim Marshall ever thought of it and I did a monster 18" reflex for bass; the amps were crap though being Hi-Fi designs until I learnt that instrument amps are crude and particularly voiced - the music shop man left a copy of a Fender Tremolux circuit on the counter and went out the back, I sketched it in 45 secs and never looked back.

Where was I. . . . . . . .Oh yes, I wish you wouldn't side-track me so.
Quote:
Yeah sure ... show me the inside of your baccy tin
Bugger
Done the piccie but I need to install something on this new confuser as it doesn't recognise my camera card reader, bear with me, it may have to be tomorrow.

R.
Old 10-10-05, 21:28
Richard Notton

Quote:
Bugger
Done the piccie but I need to install something on this new confuser as it doesn't recognise my camera card reader, bear with me, it may have to be tomorrow.
Or some time later as XP will not have my disc for the smart card reader, not Windows logo approved don't yer know.

Bill Gates, I hope your ears are burning.

R.
Old 13-10-05, 22:58

Smile Englishmen and Gentlemen

originally posted by FV263
QUOTE]Well, I did think it inferred a half-dressed bonk, perhaps keeping your socks on,[/QUOTE

Good God man……. have you gone completely native.

2T's I feel I have to remind you we are Englishmen and therefore we never keep our socks on.

Have you no sense of propriety man, consider yourself on a charge.

Shocked of Oxford

(recently returned from the North of Scotland where I believe they do keep their socks on due to inclement weather conditions)
Old 13-10-05, 23:27
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Re: Englishmen and Gentlemen

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
2T's I feel I have to remind you we are Englishmen and therefore we never keep our socks on.

Even when 'Al Fresco'? grass stains on the knees etc?

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 13-10-05, 23:28
Richard Notton

Default Re: Englishmen and Gentlemen

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
originally posted by FV263
QUOTE]Well, I did think it inferred a half-dressed bonk, perhaps keeping your socks on,[/QUOTE

Good God man……. have you gone completely native.

Quote:
Have you no sense of propriety man, consider yourself on a charge.
Well, we English would always take the weight on the elbows of course.
Quote:
Shocked of Oxford
Subdued of Shirrell Heath
Quote:
(recently returned from the North of Scotland where I believe they do keep their socks on due to inclement weather conditions)
Good Heavens! What goes on north of Hadrian's Wall is altogether an entirely different matter.

I really don't know about the weather since I just watch Lara Lewington on Ch5 and not the computer map.
:

R.
Old 13-10-05, 23:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Englishmen and Gentlemen

Quote:
Good Heavens! What goes on north of Hadrian's Wall is altogether an entirely different matter.
It's there for a reason... to keep yon bluidy English OUT. Just ask Nigel, he'll be more than happy to fill ye in on the particulars...
Old 14-10-05, 00:04
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Englishmen and Gentlemen

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
It's there for a reason... to keep yon bluidy English OUT. Just ask Nigel, he'll be more than happy to fill ye in on the particulars...
I presume therefore you actually have the answer to the Midlothian Question.

Do tell.

R.
Old 14-10-05, 00:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King size?

Quote:
Just digging into the donated stock of Yank king size straight-thru Pall Malls' as a change from rollies(!)

R.
Attached Images

Old 14-10-05, 00:33
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King size?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
By crude extrapolation I reckon there's 800 ciggies there, some £184 to me (Just under ½ a Stalwart fill-up), or Oz$ 430.302, bit on the pricey side for a good toke I think.

R.
Old 15-10-05, 03:38

Default How Much???????/

I do hope Im reading this right(lost glasses) 100 how
much for a can of bacy??I buy a pound for a bit over
12.00US..... Patrick
Old 15-10-05, 10:31
Richard Notton

Default Re: How Much???????/

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
I do hope Im reading this right(lost glasses) 100 how
much for a can of bacy??I buy a pound for a bit over
12.00US..... Patrick
$131.01US; at today's rates, not accounting for exchange commission or factoring disposable income considerations.

R.