MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 26-09-06, 21:50
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Western Australian LP2A restored

New member, Farmergeoff, has e-mailed me some pics of two SAR LP2A carriers he has restored. Geoff is from the wheatbelt of WA and many surplus tracked vehicles were auctioned off to farmers after the war to use as tractors and in land clearing. Not just carriers, but also Grants, Stuarts and Matildas were frequently to be found in agricultural roles.
Attached Thumbnails
img001-2.jpg  
Old 26-09-06, 21:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

This pic shows the wonderful warm, dry wheatbelt climate which is great for preserving 60 year old vehicles, and the great terrain for a drive in a carrier.
The Reg No of this carrier, WX348, is not the actual No of the carrier, but the enlistment No of Sgt Frank Duffy, who was killed on 23/12/1944. His enlistment number indicates that Sgt Duffy was the 348th person to enlist in the AIF in WA. He is buried in the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Lae, New Guinea.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1908-2.jpg  
Old 26-09-06, 22:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

And another:
Attached Images

Old 26-09-06, 22:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

And Geoff's next project is yet another carrier, this one has received the "Short Back and Sides", which was common treatment for a Carrier in Ag work.
Thanks for sharing these pics with us, Geoff, you're doing great work and look like you're having fun, too!
Attached Thumbnails
bren2july06-2.jpg  
Old 27-09-06, 01:16

Default posted pictures tony

top job tony
i will have to work out how to attach more pictures when i get some time. looks like you have done a bit of research there and you are spot on. just one slight correction, the last carrier not restored is the before photo of WX348 carrier only 3 months ago. I was very lucky to have a young dutch mechanic called Yorric who worked for me and we worked together on the job for a month doing some serious hours. The other carrier took 3 years trying to get time when we could. My uncle is a bulldozing contractor so he is pretty busy.
i have some other leads on other bren gun carriers that i would like to chase up and bring home so looking for another project!
hopefully we will eventually have a platoon one day.
there are some incredible restored carriers on this site including your own and it would be fantastic to get them all together one day.

cheers

geoff mcdonald
Old 27-09-06, 01:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: posted pictures tony

Quote:
Originally posted by farmergeoff
I have some other leads on other bren gun carriers that I would like to chase up and bring home, so looking for another project!
Go get 'em! I assumed that was a third carrier, as to have completed that job in 3 months is really cracking along! Well done!
Old 27-09-06, 12:47

Default west aust carrier

Hi Geof,
Welcome aboard, Its great to see your pics of your carriers, well done what a great job you have done, keep om picking them up at least they will be saved from the scrapys,
Regards,
Ron,
Old 27-09-06, 12:50

Default west aust LP2 carrier.

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the photos of Geofs
carriers, you always seem to turn up some thing of interest

Regards,
Ron,
Old 28-09-06, 01:09
RIP

Default Hull Numbers

Hi Farmergeoff and welcome.

Can you please provide details of your Carriers regarding Hull Numbers and date and place of manufacture so I can incorporate them into my Carrier Database.

Bob
Old 28-09-06, 12:21

Default hull nos

no worries bob
the plate nos are carrier 1 sth aust railways
2353LP2A
hull no to come later it is different than the plate no

plate no carrier 2 sth aust railways
1639LP2A

hull no sth aus rlys 1639LP@A

i think that is what you want as i cant seem to find any other synificant nos for the hull. this was at the back of the motor on the crossbar

cheers

geoff
Old 28-09-06, 13:16
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Serials

Hi Geoff

Yes, the crossbar over the diff is the definitive place to look for the hull number.

I also have a carrier database and have added yours.

Good to have you here!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-09-06, 15:37

Default carrier dvd

thanks keith,
i just found your dvd so i would be like to get hold of a couple of those. certainly a good feedback from the others
will contact you again next week to order

cheers

geoff
Old 29-09-06, 01:43
RIP

Default Carrier Hull Numbers

Hello Geoff
Thanks for the information. I'll await #2353 correct number. According to my records #2353 Plate should have 1942 manufacture stamped on it. Is that correct?
Bob
Old 02-10-06, 14:25

hello there Bob
no sorry that is not correct as it is 1941 that is stamped on the plate
here are the updated numbers.

carrier 1
the plate no
sth aust railways
2353LP2A
hull no (diff to plate as plate come off another carrier)

carrier 2
plate no
sth aust railways
1639LP2A

hull no
sth aus rlys 1639LP2A

cheers
geoff
Old 03-10-06, 11:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
hello there Bob

Here are the updated numbers.

carrier 2
plate no
sth aust railways
1639LP2A

hull no
sth aus rlys 1639LP2A

cheers
geoff
Geoff, your 2nd carrier is listed in the Aust War Memorial records I have as originally having engine No 2G13689F and was allocated Army Registration Number 28553. Is the original donk still in it?
Old 04-10-06, 00:18
RIP

Default Carrier #989

Hello Geoff
According to my database #989 should be a 1942 Metgas (Metropolitan Gas Company, Victoria.) Are there any other markings on that differential ledge apart from 989? Don't hold me to the year of manufacture as some of the data I have collected appears to be incorrect.
Bob
Old 06-10-06, 12:25

Default identification nos

Bob
yes bob you are right there is MGC stamped next to the no. but i couldnt find a date.
it is incredible there is so much documentation on these old war machines still around. I wonder if they can tell you where they were used.
the engine number is still a mystery to me as i can only find a number on the front "99" and a no on the head "c81t 6049" .
I have a manual and nothing in there so i wnder if you or tony could tell me where to look. i should have looked when we had the motor out , but you think of these small details.

cheers

geoff
Old 06-10-06, 14:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: identification nos

Quote:
The engine number is still a mystery to me as i can only find a number on the front "99" and a no on the head "c81t 6049" .
I have a manual and nothing in there so i wonder if you or tony could tell me where to look. cheers

geoff
99 is the engines series, in this case a 1939 Mercury motor, and C81T-6049 is the part number for a right hand cylinder head.
The engine serial number appeared in various positions on the block, or sometimes not at all! Look on the flats on the top face of the block either side of the fuel pump stand, the flat above the inspection cover in the gearbox bellhousing, and the flats below the generator. A wire brush or an old toothbrush is good to clear away the mud and crud that builds up in these spots.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-06, 00:38
RIP

Default Carrier #989

Hello Geoff
Is it possible for you to find out, from the previous owner maybe, where the plate #2353 came from? Did it come from a Carrier that has now GTG (Gone To God) and if so, where did it die? #989 holds the history of two Carriers.

A couple of pointers with your motors if they were made specifically for Carriers. To accomodate the oil cooler system a plug was put into the rear oil gallery to disperse the oil through the oil cooler. Post war many hot rodders put these motors into their cars unaware of this and in a short time cooked the motors as the oil flow didn't get around the motor. With the Carrier I restored it was a non genuine Carrier motor and unbeknown to us someone had inserted a wooden plug to allow the oil cooler to operate. When we fired up the motor we immediately lost oil pressure as the plug had dried out and the oil pressure had forced it along the gallery and blocked one of the flow holes. My astute mechanic found this and the wooden plug was removed.

The other thing with some of these flat-heads is that there are four small welch plugs under the sump. A lot of restorers are not aware of these and wonder where water leaks come from. I detailed this in one of my previous posts.

Have fun - Bob
Old 18-10-06, 12:49

Default eng no and more photos

hello bob and tony

thanks for the warning bob about the oil pressure but i think i have got is sus. we have disconected the oil cooler but replaced it with a oil filter and the oil pressure is fine.
the carrier you are talking about (2353lp2a) is just a gonna and is still on my farm here. we used it for parts for the other two. i have attached a photo.

yes tony you have done it again and incredibly you have the correct eng no. which i have finally found on the clutch housing. (see photo)thanks for the photo where to look it was the only way i would have found it as i think i might have faded the no with the sandblaster. yes it is the original engine and it had been put into a truck most of its life but we have rightfully put it back to where it belongs. i have attached some more photos well i think i have as this is my first attempt.

cheers

geoff mcdonald

no sorry i dont seem to be able to attach the photos so i will send them to you tony as before
Old 19-10-06, 08:01

Default carrier for sale WA museum

Rebecca Kenny
Admin Officer
Perth Legacy
' 9367 5799
/ 64 Mill Point Road
South Perth WA 6151
y reception@perthlegacy.com.au

Auction starts sunday 10pm 22 oct 2006
at legacy centre
viewing of carrier at museum in fremantle sat& sun