MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-07-03, 01:36

Default Regina Rifles Regiment

Hello
I'm new to this computer thing andI'm doing resurch on an Uncle of mine who died on July 08, 1944.
He was a member of the Regina Rifles regiment R.C.I.C.
I can't find any info on this regiment and thought someone might be able to help.
Thanks for your patients.
Jim
Old 22-07-03, 02:02
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Name..?

Hi Jim..
Here are some links to start..
Post a name with initials and start there..
http://www.harrypalmergallery.ab.ca/...r2/regina.html

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/na-.../095Regina.htm

Type his name in here..
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...ons/virtualmem

Post here often...
If the troops at the MLU web site can't find him ,no one can..
Keep us informed..
Old 22-07-03, 05:10
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Regina Rifles Regiment

Hi Jim;

What's your Uncle's name? That would be a good start.

Cheers
Old 22-07-03, 14:47

Default Regina Riflef

Hello
My uncle's name was Lee Frank Long 20 years old.
I have visited the site for the book of rememberence and know that he is buired in the Canadian War Cemetary at Beny- Ser- Mer France.
I would like to try to find out ( from D-Day to his death July 08, 1944 what or where he was or how he travelled there?)
This is all part of a biography I am doing on him , for our family. He was the oldest of 12 other siblings which 11 are still living.
Thanks for your reply and assistance.
Jim

Ps
Please pass this note onto ( Alex Blair )as I don't know how to forward it to more than ne person.
Thanks

Last edited by Jim; 22-07-03 at 15:04.
Old 22-07-03, 15:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Welcome, Jim!

I did get your email, thanks, it's in my queue for answering, but because you're here I'll respond here instead.

If you're writing a detailed account of his month in France, you will want to access as much official information as possible. Ideally, this means getting a copy of the unit War Diaries covering at least the time up until his death. Prior to this, though, if you haven't done so already, get a copy of the gentleman's service records from the National Archives so you will be able to trace his movements through the "system" and compare with other historical happenings at the time. We can help you interpret those records.

You will also want to buy the book indicated on this page:

http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwpa/campus_upda...05_30_01.shtml

I haven't seen it, but it may be of some assistance to you.

Geoff

PS: My first commanding officer in the service started out HIS career as a Rifleman with the Reginas, landing on D-Day. Wonderful man.

Good luck, but check back here; if we come up with more or better answers, they'll be here. BTW, the Reginas were part of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade together with the Canadian Scottish and the Winnipeg Rifles. At Normandy the 7th Brigade landed on Love and Mike sections of Juno Beach, between Courseulles and La Riviere.
Old 22-07-03, 16:24

Default A Bit More, Jim:

The Reginas landed on D-Day astride the river at Courseulles-sur-Mer, against heavy opposition. They suffered heavy casualties in gaining a foothold on the beach due to the fact that the prior bombardments had not taken out many of the concrete gun emplacements sited to cover the beach in enfilade.

Once the beach area was taken, they were able to advance inland a few miles comparatively easily during that day, there to dig in and regroup astride the road and railway between Caen and Bayeux.

The next heavy action they saw was a few days later (11 June) as they took positions around Bretteville-l'Orgueilleuse and Norrey-en-Bessin (slightly northwest of Caen) and fought off a vicious German armoured counterattack. Later in the month they were part of the supporting effort to take Carpiquet Airport; it wasn't until the end of the month that the buildup was sufficient to complete that task, and it was at the beginning of July that the Reginas were thrown back into the fray in Monty's effort to capture Caen.

Your uncle was killed in this action. 7 Brigade was moved east to attack and take Carpiquet village against fierce resistance on 4 July; on 8 July, the main effort against Caen began, and as 9 Brigade (Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Highlanders, North Nova Scotia Regiment and Highland Light Infantry of Canada) took Buron and Authie, 7 Brigade moved through them to take the villages of Cussy and Ardenne, further east.

It is most likely here where your uncle fell, but the War Diaries will be able to confirm.

Geoff
Old 22-07-03, 17:18

Have you seen his entry in the Veterans Affairs site, Jim?

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2059548

Note that if you have a photo of the young man or of his grave, you can upload it to the site, and they will include it. I have done this for a few of our other Fallen.

You should be aware that during the hectic, tumultuous fighting in Normandy, the dead were most often left where they fell, as their buddies had too much on their hands to worry about them. Sometime later, as the immediate area became secure, follow-up units, and sometimes Regimental Padres on their own, would bury the dead where they lay and make a record of their identities and locations. It was usually much later that graves registration units would comb the countryside, exhume these bodies and bury them in permanent locations such as Beny-sur Mer, with all appropriate military honours of course.

If actually engaged in an attack, Rfn Long was most likely killed by mortar or machinegun fire. If during a move, it was most likely artillery. If you know his platoon or company, the War Diaries will you how those casualties came to be (daily entries); if you don't, you'll have to dig deeper, into the nominal roles for the Regiment back in England (unless he was a reinforcement after the actual Normandy landing).

Let us know what we can do to help.
Old 23-07-03, 02:43

Default MOVING THREAD

Am moving this thread to the Historical Forum where it's more applicable than the general chatter here.
Old 23-07-03, 02:48

Default JIM'S REPLY FROM THE OTHER THREAD

Hello
Thanks for the great response on my research about Rifle Long.
Here is the info that I have found, either over the net or from family.
Veterns Affaris-- Lee Frank Long died july 08 1944 age 20. Service number G/1467. Force ( Army ). Regiment ( Regina Rifles Regiment ). Grave Ref--XI.G.6.
It also talks about the 3rd. Canadian Division that laned on D-Day.
Page 368 of the book of Rememberance. ( 5 from top ).
Dept. of Honour Register-- The Allied offensive in north - western Europe began with the Normandy landings of june 06 1944. Many of those buired in Beny-Ser-Mer Canadian War Cemetery were men of the 3rd. Canadian Division who ied either on june 06 orduring the early days of the advance towards Caen, when the Division engaged a German battle group formed from the 716th. Division ansd the 21st. Panzer Division. The cemetery contans 2,048Second World War burials, the majority Canadian, and 19 of them unidentified.

To Geoff
How can I find out more on his Regiment or the War Unit Diaries?
Thanks
Jim

My comments to follow, Jim.
Old 23-07-03, 03:05
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: JIM'S REPLY FROM THE OTHER THREAD

Hi Jim.

If you want to get a photograph of your relatives' gravesite/headstone, get in touch with these people and request a photo. I think they've got photos of EVERY grave at Beny Sur Mer (and other cemeteries as well)

http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

These people are amazing!!! I had two emails, from out of the blue, two diffenet people, offering to send me photos (they'd seen a message of mine somewhere) I "uploaded" a photo (my Uncle's headstone) to the Veterans site but don't know where or how I can view it on their site. (My Uncle was Rifleman Edward Smith from the related thread in here)

Take care,

Carman
Old 23-07-03, 03:19

Default Re: Uploading to the VAC Site

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
I "uploaded" a photo (my Uncle's headstone) to the Veterans site but don't know where or how I can view it on their site. (My Uncle was Rifleman Edward Smith from the related thread in here)
Karmen, it's not there yet... when did you upload it and did you fill in all the requisite fields? I can do this for you if you're not sure of the process.

This is the page it would be on:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2060243

It would come out in the same format as the photo I uploaded of another grave:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2663093

Note the indicator that There is a digital photo collection for Aurele Delisle and the link below it.

Incidently, this is my late friend's best friend, KIA on 9 Feb 45.
Old 23-07-03, 03:49
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Uploading to the VAC Site

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Karmen, it's not there yet... when did you upload it and did you fill in all the requisite fields? I can do this for you if you're not sure of the process.

This is the page it would be on:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2060243

It would come out in the same format as the photo I uploaded of another grave:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2663093

Note the indicator that There is a digital photo collection for Aurele Delisle and the link below it.

Incidently, this is my late friend's best friend, KIA on 9 Feb 45.
Hi Geoff... that would be AWESOME if you'd upload the photo again. You can "scoop" it from my Uncles thread I don't know why my attempt didn't work...I had the right place/site and think I filled out all the rightthings... but yah never knowwith me! It was within the last month I uploaded it.

Anywise my friend... go for it! (by the way... I think they couldn't have found a better person to give the Eulogy for your friend...I imagine you'll say amazing things that others might forget to mention etc. Good!

Thanks...Karmen
Old 23-07-03, 04:19

Thumbs up

It's done, Karmen. Should take a week or two get reviewed and put up. Watch for it on the link above.

G.
Old 23-07-03, 05:34
Vets_Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
It's done, Karmen. Should take a week or two get reviewed and put up. Watch for it on the link above.

G.
Thanks Geoff I wrote a very short litttle thing with the one I uploaded. Eventually I'll also upload a basic bio about him as well if I can. My Uncles records are ready so that should be soon after I've read the records.

By the way... I visited Aurele Delisle... what a good looking man with a very "neat energy" expression
Old 23-07-03, 15:09

Default Regina rifles

Vets_dottir
Thanks for all the great info.
I do have his war grave pic's.
Again thanks to all who spent time aking the pictures.
Jim
Old 23-07-03, 16:30
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Regina rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Vets_dottir
Thanks for all the great info.
I do have his war grave pic's.
Again thanks to all who spent time aking the pictures.
Jim
JIM...I'm glad I could be of help to someone in here for a change The people who hang out in this joint are pretty amazing aren't they???

By the way... my name is Carman... but people in here call me everything else, including my favorite "Karmen" which is the spelling my Mom intended...registration error messed it up for me: Hey... we're hitting 42 celcius in the old Kootenays...H O T
Old 24-07-03, 08:12
RIP

Default Heat

Hey Kartman

Does this mean you are "Hot Stuff"

Anonymous Bob
Old 24-07-03, 09:29
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Hot stuff

Quote:
Bob Moseley Hey Kartman,Does this mean you are "Hot Stuff"
Not the temperature that did that to her Bob, just all the guys in kilts on the lost Beltring thread!!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 24-07-03, 15:58

Default HEY JIM!

Found this, which may be of interest to you:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...L?bi=203193864

If you don't want it, let me know, I'll take it methinks.
Old 24-07-03, 16:12

Default Geoff

Hello
Thanks
This info is just what I am looking for.I was on Vacation and will have to return to work on Sunday so my research will be more limited. I will reply and read this site when I can.
I still need to know how to get in touch with the Unit War Diaries and the National Archives?
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
I just found a Picture my mom sent me of Uncle Lee in Uniform and will try to post it in the Vets site later.
All I know is that on Lee's Medels are the date 1939-1944.
I assume this is when he joined the Army.
He was born in Saint John N.B. and I am trying to find out where he joined and Trained and how got into the regina rifles Regiment?.
This site is great and again thanks for all the support and info.
I have been reading some of the others and the stories are awful sad, but I feel we ( as in all this generation ) need to know in order to keep THEIR DREAM ALIVE.
God Bless Them All.
Jim
Old 24-07-03, 16:34

Default Re: Geoff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
....I still need to know how to get in touch with the Unit War Diaries and the National Archives?

...All I know is that on Lee's Medels are the date 1939-1944.
I assume this is when he joined the Army. He was born in Saint John N.B. and I am trying to find out where he joined and Trained and how got into the regina rifles Regiment?.
Well, one thing at a time. First, according to his serial number G/1467, he enlisted in the Canadian Army Active Force at 7 District Depot in New Brunswick (thanks Clive, great little reference book!). I can't tell you precisely where that was located (perhaps Clive or someone else - Mark? - can, but here's where you have to get his service records, just like Karmen did for her uncle.

I'll give you the information links for all of this, but Karmen, how about you chime in with the start-to-finish account of exactly what you did to get your uncle's dossier on its way to you? First hand experience is a great teacher, so MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL!!

Jim, the page for general guidelines on retrieving service records is here:

http://www.archives.ca/02/020203/02020302_e.html

Karmen can fill you in on all of the procedures SHE used...

Next, War Diaries etc; here's the general information page:

http://www.archives.ca/02/020203/02020303_e.html

I typed in their search criteria for the Reginas, and the material IS available:

http://data4.archives.ca/netacgi/nph...e.html&r=0&f=S

It doesn't look like they've been microfilmed yet, although they are listed as available, so you're going to have to get an Archivist to dig this stuff out for you. Here's an information link on how to do that:

http://www.archives.ca/02/020208_e.html

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Geoff

PS: You can post your pic here too, if it's not too big! We'd be delighted to see it.
Old 24-07-03, 18:51
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: No. 7 District Depot

Hi Guys;

There were two District Depots in Military District No. 7:

No. 7 District Depot - Fredericton, N.B. - established 25 Jul 40
No. 7-A District Depot - Woodstock, N.B. - established 25 Jul 40

Cheers
Old 24-07-03, 18:56

Old 24-07-03, 19:28
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Contacts

Jim wrote:

Quote:
I still need to know how to get in touch with the Unit War Diaries and the National Archives?
Jim, some contact points which may help:

War Diaries:

Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH)
National Defence Headquarters
Stacey Building
2429 Holly Lane
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1A 0K2
Fax: (613) 990 - 8579

or

War (Operations) Diary:
The Diaries Team
Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH)
Stacey Building
2429 Holly Lane
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1A 0K2
Phone: (613) 990 - 1630
Fax: (613) 990 - 8579

Service Records:

National Archives of Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N3

General information:
Local calls: 995 - 5138
Toll free: 1 - 866 - 578 - 7777
Reference Services: (613) 992 - 3884
FAX: (613) 995 - 6274

At a minimum, you should provide: full name, rank, service number, date of birth and date of death.

Some General Info on the Regina Rifles:

Saskatchewan Military Museum
The Armouries
1600 Elphinstone Street
Regina, SK S4T 3N1

Phone: (306)347 - 9349

You asked:

Quote:
He was born in Saint John N.B. and I am trying to find out where he joined and Trained and how got into the regina rifles Regiment?.
The Regina Rifles were training at Debert Camp; Debert, N.S. prior to going overseas to the UK.

Hope all of the above helps.

Cheers
Old 24-07-03, 19:33
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Hot stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Not the temperature that did that to her Bob, just all the guys in kilts on the lost Beltring thread!!
DAVE and BOB and yer "Karmen is HOT comments"... some of us just got whatchyah call "IT"... the kilts and the weather don't do it... It's in my genes!
just joking! You two...BEHAVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-07-03, 19:59
Vets_Dottir

Smile

JIM: Mark and Geoff beat me to it... Mark while I was busy making a smart-ass reply to Bratty Bob and Dave.... meanwhile...a little PS: to Marks reply...

I only sent in My Uncle's name, service number, and death dates (I won't know his birthdate until I get his records) along with copies of the "In Memory" write ups from the War Graves site(you know the pages from Veterans Affairs. That was enough (along with the explanation that I was Edward's neiceand that I wanted the records for writing afamily history and geneology.

Be sure to give all your correct contact info and they'll probably send you a letter confirming they received your request and giving you a "file reference number" for the particular search.

1-866-578-7777 is the toll free number of Natinal Archives to call and ask questions about requests etc.

1-613-947-8456 is the FAX number (I think you can fax the request) and this number is DIFFERENT than the one MARK gave. This is the number that was actually on a letter I received from their PERSONNEL RECORDS UNIT RESEARCHER SERVICES DIVISION this June from the archives.

Sad thing is an extreme backlog of requests so you could be waiting quite a few months before you get the records UNLESS you have a good enuf reason to "fast-track" the request...I'd ask about this when calling the toll free number

Ain't this place something??? One little question brings an inundation of answers andinformation ( I LOVE IT!!! and the people in this joint) Karmen
Old 24-07-03, 20:19
Vets_Dottir

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...sualty=2059548

JIM: This link/write up of your relatives death, that Geoff gave you earlier, is "PROOF" enough of death and date for the Archives to do their search. I sent a copy of my Uncle's with my request

I hope you have enough info to get you going in getting the records now...Archives will do a search and when ready will contact you with an "estimate" of cost for photocopying etc and make payment arrangements before they'll ship off your records to you. You canpay by credit cardover the phone too which would save some more time!

KarmenHotStuff
Old 24-07-03, 21:59
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 8 Jul 44

Hi Jim;

Some notes:

Judging by your Uncle's date of death and what the Regina's were up to round that date, I think your Uncle was killed during the final phase of the Regina's assault and final taking of the Abbaye d'Ardenne, on 08 July 1944.

They had to cross a mile of open ground (Authie - Abbaye d'Ardenne) in broad daylight, before actually reaching the Abbaye grounds themselves. Your Uncle was probably either in "C" or "D" Company of the Regina's.

Their taking of the Abbaye was all part of Operation 'CHARNWOOD' - the attack on Caen - has Geoff pointed out earlier.

The Fax number that Carman gave is probably the more up to date one - Thanks 'Little Miss....'

Cheers
Old 24-07-03, 22:02
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: KarmenHotStuff

Did I miss something here Karman Hot Stuff??????.........................she went from Little Miss Yappy to HOT STUFF????....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 24-07-03, 22:50

Dammit, Mark, I oughta just hire you on...