MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 26-10-04, 22:52
MLU Administrator

Default "Royal Canadian Air Force salvages B-34 bomber"

Found this unlikely picture in the Wisconsin Historical Images archive, probably because there's an International tractor in it. This archive contains lots of official and in action pictures of International Harvester vehicles and equipment.

Caption: Royal Canadian Air Force men using an International TD-18 TracTracTor (crawler tractor) to salvage a B-34 bomber at Shell Camp Lake, Nova Scotia, 1944.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0305000891-l.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	104610
http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/w...05000891-l.jpg
source
Old 28-10-04, 18:44
RIP

Default B-24 Liberator to me

Hi Hanno.From looking at the picture it looks like a B-24 early Liberator that had no nose turret.As an aside,a similar aircraft crashed in Little Burgandy,a near suburb close to Montreal in 1942 killing 24, many of whom were from the Dutch military.There's a plaque at the crash site.Also,about 75 miles north of Montreal near Mont Tremblant,another B-24 crash site has been discovered,deep in the woods,on a mountain top.This site has also been plaqued.Good stuff
Old 28-10-04, 19:25
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Garry

That's not a Lib, too small and the canopy isn't right, plus look at the mid-upper turret space - the Lib always had theirs right behind the canopy to be occupied by the Flight Engineer. I think it's a Hudson/Ventura.
Old 28-10-04, 20:53

Default B34??? Its a Hudson

The aircraft pictured (as the guy before me said) is a Lockheed Hudson. The B24 was much bigger and had 4 engines and was a shoulder wing configuration whereas the Hudson is a low winged twin. There was no B34 but I take it this is a typo.

Regards!

Jock Williams

Tiger Moth Enterprises
Old 28-10-04, 22:50
RIP

Default Mea Culpa!!

JWB,you're right.I was concentrating on the nose.It is a Hudson.Their is one on static displaay as a lawn ornament down near Huntington Quwbec,just north of the US border
Garry
Old 28-10-04, 23:07
David Pope

Some of you were getting pretty close but that's a Lockheed B34 Ventura. It's 7 feet longer than the Hudson with more power. The back part of the fuselage swoops up to the tail on the Ventura but is straight on the Hudson.
Old 29-10-04, 00:41
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Hudson

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
That's not a Lib, too small and the canopy isn't right, plus look at the mid-upper turret space - the Lib always had theirs right behind the canopy to be occupied by the Flight Engineer. I think it's a Hudson/Ventura.
And, Geoff I hope soon to be taking another SEG picture for you from the turret in flight in the only airworthy one in the world. I'll be filming it air to air too, they're about to put fuel bladders in the "wet" wings, then repaint it in more representative colours.

http://aviationmuseum.ayera.com/airc...ages/Lhud5.jpg

Have a look at the Museum here. The pic above was taken by Kenny Love, the museum's CEO.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-10-04, 03:14
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Jock Williams

Hi Jock: Good to see you on this forum.

For those that don't know him, Jockm is too modest to toot his own horn, so here goes.

Jock spent a good part of his life in Blue flying various assorted winged things through our skies. On leaving the Regular Forces he saw the light and became an artillery officer in 30th Field Regiment, RCA (The Bytown Gunners). His love for flying called him back and after retiring a second time he became a pilot and instructor at the Warplane Heritage Museum (I think he also became an air reserve helicopter pilot as well... Jock has retired so many times we've lost track!).

Jock is also a skilled marksman and collector of antique arms. He has a radio talk show down in the London area that deals with military matters. His two sons are both officers in the RCA, one just came back from Afghanistan and the other served in Bosnia with me.

Anyway... good to have this talented, well spoken advocate of a strong armed forces as a member of our gang.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords