MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 09-11-12, 06:49

Default Gpr

Being no expert in the field, I would think that ground penetrating radars would work best in a medium that was as dense as possible, then refelct from any voids present. Mine shafts thru bedrock sounds ideal, however wooden crates in rotting organic topsoil seems less so. Eh?

Cheers

Wayne
Old 09-11-12, 08:08

I think you could bet the farm that the guys involved did not have any fancy equipment hanging from helicopters in Burma.

The most common form of Ground Penetrating Radar and the most likely to be used, IF it ever was, is the push trolley style widely used by archeologists to seek out ancient structures. The same style equipment is used by companies looking for power and pipe lines, various rock strata, voids such as sink-holes or old mines and wells.

The display is highly subject to professional interpretation - there is no "picture" like airborne radar or underwater sonar and the average person would have no chance of identifying anything.

Interesting subject to Google if you have a spare moment.

Lang
Old 11-11-12, 07:33

Here is a photo of a Spitfire in a crate being unloaded at Cocos Island about the same period our mystery Spitfires were being unloaded in Burma.

We are not looking for a hole dug by pick and shovel, it must have taken some serious equipment to bury 20 ( or 140) of these.

Just the dirt pile would be huge. Quite apart from the dirt required to put back on top of the buried box they would have to remove about 100 cubic metres (the rough box volume). Let's say we overload a CMP tipper with 5 metres of dirt that is 20 loads per box to take it "somewhere" - 400 truck loads for 20 boxes or 2,800 truck loads for 140 boxes. If they just pushed the spoil up in a pile, Everest would only be the second highest mountain in the world and we would not need ground penetrating radar to find them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lang; 11-11-12 at 20:38.
Old 11-11-12, 08:48
[user name reset]

to my mind I don't understand the burial story. If they had a bull dozer capable of digging a huge hole and burying them . I presume they would get crushed in the process. Why not just doze over them or even easier throw some petrol over em and strike a match.

The notion that in 1945 they would be coming back for them or waned the Burmese govt to have them eventually just doesn't make sense.

If there was a need for Spits there were a hundred or so of em sitting in Australia . if the need was to simply disable them take the props off and dump them at sea . In Australia the props were taken of the Mozies and Spits to prevent anyone using them after a wag took a spit for a taxi.

if they were in boxes disassembled it seems it would be an easier task just to destroy all of the port wings or somehing rather than dig a huge hole tediously place all the boxes in the hole then bury them.

So I am giving odds on this being a Hoax along the lines of the 1990's hoax about fishing up sunken aircraft of the Qld coast that was so enthusiastically supported by Joh Bejelkie .

I dont doubt there are still treasures to be found...theP-40 found in the desert the FW 190 still in the black Forrest and the amazing junk turning up in the former Soviet union Guy Blacks Demons out of Afghanistan . but this story just don't do it.
Old 11-11-12, 09:44
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Disabling aircraft

When I interviewed Tony Gaze, one of our top scoring aces he told me in Germany he went into a recently liberated airfield hoping for a Fw190 and found most had the port oleo partly cut with a hacksaw.

He had better luck at the factory where he took one straight from the production line (possibly it's first flight) after swapping an earlier model so their numbers still matched. It flew badly, one wing low.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-11-12, 23:41

Default Spits

burying aircraft was not a new concept at the end of the war , the Americans disposed of a large number of aircraft just outside Flagstaff AR by digging 2 one mile trenches and taxing the aircraft into these and then dozing the dirt over top , all that remained were the tails sticking out of the dirt, C-47, C-46, B-24 and B-17 aircraft, now knowing how well items were crated during the war a dozer moving dirt over these crates would not bother them much , remember that these crates would have been made to multi stack in the hold of a Liberty ship , the last thing the allies wanted at that point was more aircraft, remember Kingman AZ , B-24 aircraft in India being chopped up and left and when India gained independence they put a good number back together and flew them for years, this is where all the B-24's flying today came from including the one in Ottawa, here in Canada the RCAF sold P-40's out of Pat Bay BC for $75.00 ea.and most of the flying P-40's in the US have CDN history, look up photos for Chino CA at the end of the war and see what happened to the P-40, P-39, P-38's ,stacked like cordwood,it would also depend on who paid for these aircraft ,lendlease money?and the allies did not want just anyone to have these weapons.
Old 29-11-12, 10:04
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default update

Here's the latest info. Dig to begin in January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20515659
Old 07-12-12, 00:19
MLU Administrator

Default Spitfire uncrated!

Pictures - finally!

They found the crates and are not wasting any time to get them back in the air!

Captions:
"Civilian workers running the wing of a Supermarine Spitfire Mark VIII out of its crate prior to assembly"
"RAF mechanics, assisted by civilian workers, lift a Supermarine Spitfire Mark VIII onto twin supports during assembly of the aircraft"
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire uncrated 1.jpg   Spitfire uncrated 2.jpg  
Old 07-12-12, 15:28

Default You should have left of the captions

Hi Hanno

Good one, but you should have left of the captions, would have been interesting to see how fast that would have gone around the world in the aircraft community, might even have made the evening news.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 09-12-12, 14:05
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Good one, but you should have left of the captions, would have been interesting to see how fast that would have gone around the world in the aircraft community, might even have made the evening news.
Hi Phil,

Talking about a good one, how about this one?!?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...irmingham.html (thanks to Henk Minne)

H.
Old 05-01-13, 17:06
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default they're on their way

so we should know something in 6 weeks??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20910980
Old 07-01-13, 01:47
Tony VAN RHODA

Default They are on the dig

Hi All

I know a lot of us MLU guys have been following this story since it first broke last year. It has been an interesting topic to follow, though a lot of us can't see that these crates, if genuine, could still be intact after so many years in the ground in tropical wet conditions. But I would love for it to be true and there seem too many people, including the prime minister of Great Britain being involved so suggest there were actual planes buried at the end of WW2.

Today in our state newspaper, the Adelaide Advertiser, there was a small article stating that a team from the UK had arrived in Burma. So I will continue to follow this thread with interest as it is just the sort of thing I would have loved to be part of.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10167.jpg  
Old 07-01-13, 08:05
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Papers

Yes it's hit the Melbourne press too. Does that mean it's all true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi All

I know a lot of us MLU guys have been following this story since it first broke last year. It has been an interesting topic to follow, though a lot of us can't see that these crates, if genuine, could still be intact after so many years in the ground in tropical wet conditions. But I would love for it to be true and there seem too many people, including the prime minister of Great Britain being involved so suggest there were actual planes buried at the end of WW2.

Today in our state newspaper, the Adelaide Advertiser, there was a small article stating that a team from the UK had arrived in Burma. So I will continue to follow this thread with interest as it is just the sort of thing I would have loved to be part of.

Cheers

Tony

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 07-01-13, 08:33
Tony VAN RHODA

Default I hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Yes it's hit the Melbourne press too. Does that mean it's all true?
Hi Keith
Gees mate, I sure hope they find something as it would be a great anti climax after all the thread time we have given it since the news of the "alleged" find was announced. Anyway it will, or should be an interesting dig. Probably end up like "Time Team " and find nothing but an old shoe or something.

Cheers

Tony
Old 07-01-13, 08:37
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Time Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi Keith
Gees mate, I sure hope they find something as it would be a great anti climax after all the thread time we have given it since the news of the "alleged" find was announced. Anyway it will, or should be an interesting dig. Probably end up like "Time Team " and find nothing but an old shoe or something.

Cheers

Tony
I enjoy Time Team but I can just see it now: "Geophys let us down AGAIN!"

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 07-01-13, 10:31
Tony Baker

Default Time Team

Yes, but will they only have three days to do the dig, and be lead by Baldrick?
Old 07-01-13, 13:41
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Ha ha ha

Hey Guys

That's what I love about the MLU fraternity we can aways find fun in all we do, right or wrong. I am sure we will hear more from the dig site to keep us in suspense.

Cheers

Tony
Old 07-01-13, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Yes, but will they only have three days to do the dig, and be lead by Baldrick?
............as he runs around waving his arms and saying, "we will dig here ........here ........... and here"

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 11-01-13, 11:44

Latest report in today's paper. "We have dug a hole and found waterlogged wood which we believe is a Spitfire case. As soon as we pump the water out we expect to find the aircraft in excellent condition"

Good luck!
Old 11-01-13, 12:54
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Latest report in today's paper. "We have dug a hole and found waterlogged wood which we believe is a Spitfire case. As soon as we pump the water out we expect to find the aircraft in excellent condition"

Good luck!
Hi Lang

Lookslike they may have hit the jackpot, starting to get interesting, I hope they release constant reports and post photos. Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers

Tony
Old 11-01-13, 13:10

Waterlogged wood huh? Don't expect to see them flying any time soon then.

Aircraft disposal at the end of the war was generally accompanied by wholesale butchery. I well remember visiting a pile of aircraft debris the size of a house at Malahang beach just outside Lae, PNG back in the '70s. This was all that remained of an unknown number of aircraft that were reputed to have been chopped up and fed into a smelter brought in for the purpose. The pile was made up of the non aluminium stuff the scrappies didn't want such as armour plate, stainless steel heat shielding, ammunition feed ducting etc.

It's probably been cleaned up by a later generation of scrappies but at the time provided good pickings for the aircraft restoration fraternity.

There was another site just outside Finchaven where numerous P40's had been disposed of. There were remains scattered through the jungle and walking down the creek there were wings and fuselages sticking out of the bank from the ones that were buried.

David

Last edited by motto; 11-01-13 at 13:19.
Old 15-01-13, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post

Good luck!
So they might turn out to be Seafires then? Of the ditched variety..

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 15-01-13, 08:38
[user name reset]

Default wrecking at the end of Laverne airstrip late fifties

well as something to look at until the spits turn up . That's Laverton ....Gordons Yard. He wrecked the one and only Hurricane that came to Australia a photo of which I have in this series.
Attached Thumbnails
Gordons yard02b.jpg   Gordens yard01b.jpg  
Old 15-01-13, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
to my mind I don't understand the burial story. If they had a bull dozer capable of digging a huge hole and burying them . I presume they would get crushed in the process. Why not just doze over them or even easier throw some petrol over em and strike a match.

They still bury them today! http://www.couriermail.com.au/questn...-1226204896564

Admittedly with a few less parts.

Regards Easo
Old 15-01-13, 10:46
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Laverton pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
well as something to look at until the spits turn up . That's Laverton ....Gordons Yard. He wrecked the one and only Hurricane that came to Australia a photo of which I have in this series.
Really interesting images, Gina! Really sad to see these beautiful aircraft destroyed.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 15-01-13, 13:17

When I was doing my flying training at Point Cook in 1967 there were 4 Wirraways and 2 P-40's in the fire pit for the firies to practice on. The P-40's must have come from the Laverton group.

Lang
Old 16-01-13, 14:40
MLU Administrator

Stop press: SPITFIRE EXCAVATED!

See attached picture courtesy of HMVF
Attached Thumbnails
431331_10151352039799929_1474732080_n.jpg  
Old 16-01-13, 20:24
WO8 C15A 142736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Stop press: SPITFIRE EXCAVATED!

See attached picture courtesy of HMVF
Some people have way to much spare time.
Old 16-01-13, 21:57

Default But just wait for the Google Search

Hi Hanno

Great photo, knowing the vagaries of internet search wonder how many people out side of MLU will find it and wonder what's up.

Good chuckle

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 16-01-13, 22:00

Looks as though the cap is still on. She's fuelled up and ready to go!

David