MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 08-03-04, 17:26

Default WW2 Canadians Killed in Accidents

During WW2 my grandparents befriended a young Canadian who was stationed for a while in Eastbourne. After he’d left the town, they heard he’d died somewhere in the UK – possibly in an accident during training or sports. All I know is that his first name was Lawrence (Laurence?) and that the death must have occurred before 7 March 1943. This was when their house was bombed and all the correspondence lost.

Can someone pse tell me if there’s a list of such deaths which I can consult – perhaps on line? If not, how might I go about tracing him and establishing the name of his unit? I’m assuming he would have been buried in the UK – but would this have been in a civilian or military cemetery?

Comments appreciated.

Mike
Old 09-03-04, 00:25

Default War graves commision

Hi.

Just wondering if you have tried looking at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

As long as you know the last name and first name initial you should be able to find him.

The website is www.cwgc.org
Go to the registar loction on the main page.

Hope you find some information on him.

Sincerly
Jordan Baker
Old 09-03-04, 05:53
Art Johnson

Default Brookwood Cemetary

Back in 1917 a large area of Brookwood Cemetary, the former London Necropolis, south of London, was set aside for Canadian, American and others who were in the service. Some who are burried there died of wounds received in Action others were killed in training accidents and some were killed in bombing raids. There are even some German POWs burried there. The first man killed in the 48th in a training accident that occured in the south of England is burried in a Cemetary in Aberdeen. Stan Sislowski (sorry Stan I'm sure I spelled your name wrong AGAIN) the author of "Not All Of Us Were Brave" undertook to identify the Canadians who are burried in the UK he may be able to help you. I'm sure Jiff could provide you with his e-mail address.