MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-01-04, 14:53

Default Location Statements

I have come across documents called ‘Location Statements’ among civilian papers at a County Record Office in England. I assume they had been copied to the civilian authority for liaison purposes. Unfortunately they are incomplete.

They were issued at Divisional level and list HQs of units, with addresses and telephone numbers – often map references, too. However, I don’t know whether I’m likely to find them among military records in national archives. Has anyone come across Location Statements and, if so, where?

Comments appreciated.

Mike
Old 23-01-04, 23:17

Default Re: Location Statements

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
They were issued at Divisional level and list HQs of units, with addresses and telephone numbers – often map references, too.

Has anyone come across Location Statements and, if so, where?
Mike,
I am sure that I have come across one of these some years ago on display at an exhibition of wartime in the local library in Ashford, Kent. It was a list of units stationed in the area, sometime before D-Day I think, they were listed with map references as you say. Sometime after I tried to get a copy so that the locations could be pinpointed, without any luck. Perhaps these lists were issued to Police and such like?

Richard
Old 24-01-04, 17:49

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve had no other replies and significantly nothing from Canada so I’m beginning to think these Location Statements were a purely overseas thing - perhaps just in the UK. So far I’ve not come across them among military documents at the PRO. Pity, because they would be a good way of homing in on units in a particular place. Does anyone know if ORBATS give locations? And if they were up-dated, as were Location Statements? Also, I’ve only ever seen Location Statements referring to Canadian forces. Did British units have something similar.

Mike
Old 24-01-04, 18:07

Default Re: Location Statements

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, I’ve only ever seen Location Statements referring to Canadian forces. Did British units have something similar.
Mike,
The list I have seen refering to the Ashford area, was of British units. I will try and pursue the whereabouts of this list now you have brought up the subject.

Richard
Old 26-01-04, 22:35

Richard:
Well, it looks as if this query has gone cold but I'm stilll hoping something will turn up. If I hear anything from other quarters I'll post here.

Mike