MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 19-04-08, 13:08

Default Airborne Division Store Trucks

I've asked this question on another forum so apologies to those members who provided answers there

I'm trying to identify which model of truck was used by the ground based seatail of 1st Airborne Division at about the time of the Arnhem operation, Market Garden.

So far I've identified that the following types were on establishment: (Via www.truxmodels.com which at the time of writing is down)

3ton 4 X 2 Stores
3ton 4 X 2 battery storage
3ton 4 x 4 store, binned.

According to the reminiscences of Pte Ted Mordecai RAOC who jumped at Arnhem they received new vehicles.

http://www.airborneordnance.com/tedstory.htm

Quote:
We got on well and after the North African campaign we came back to the UK with the unit in December 1943 and January 1944. We took up residence in Spitalgate School, just outside of the Railway Station in Grantham, Lincs. After the unit had arrived back and taken their leave entitlement, we settled down to re-quip and scale the new vehicles allotted to us. These turned out to be American Chrysler (Dodge) three tonners. We were kept very busy binning the stores, drilling , route marching and practicing marksmanship.
Some of the ideas suggested on the other forum were Ford FC60L and Chevy CC60L, C60, Canadian built dodge 3/4 ton, Canadian built D60's.

I was able to find a picture of 1 candidate, Truck, 3ton, 4x4, Stores (Chevrolet C60L) 6cyl, 85bhp, 4F1Rx2, wb 158 in, 241 x 88 x120in. GS body modified for stores role. Superstructure covered with wire screen. Screen doors above tail gate. Steel furniture including desk.

So my question is this, can anyone give a definitive answer to what the vehicles that Ted mentions are.
Old 19-04-08, 13:48

Default A couple of hints...

Well he is very specific to say American Dodge Chrysler 3 tons, and we were talking 4 x 2 trucks....

That doesn't really add up, as there weren't any new American Dodge / Chrysler 3 tons bought at that time.

There are two possibilities. There were a batch or two of American Dodge Chrysler 3 ton 4 x 2 VK 60 trucks imported as cab / chassis and cab / cowl over the winter of 40-41, however with the supply situation the chance that any of these trucks would be considered 'new' in 1943 is very rare indeed.

In 1943, the UK would be awash with new Dodge D60 Canadian built right hand drive 3 ton T110L trucks in a bunch of different varieties. Short and long wheelbase, big single tyres or dual rears, single or dual speed rear axles.

I think it's much more likely that they were supplied with right hand drive Canadian built D60 3 ton 4 x 2 trucks (20,000 or so built) than some of the handful of American built trucks imported two years earlier. All the evidence I've seen of the American built VK 3 tons suggested that they went to the RAF for general hauling and crew bus conversions like Rick Jones' VK62B

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodge...paintmatch.htm