MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-05-05, 02:31

Default The 25pdr - supergun

Hello Norm,

All artillery shells make a noise as they pass through the air. This is caused by the driving band at the base of the shell. The driving band is made of a soft alloy, usually brass, and it engages the rifling in the barrel and seals the gasses in the chamber. The driving band and rifling also imparts the spin to the shell which serves to stabilize it in flight. After leaving the barrel the driving band is left damaged by the rifling, and that produces the noise.

On guns like the 25pdr and the American and German 105’s, you can adjust the amount of propellant. In the 25pdr there were four charge bags. The muzzle velocities were as followers:

Charge 1 - 200m/sec
Charge 2 - 300m/sec
Charge 3 - 450m/sec
Supercharge - 520m/sec

In the 105mm C1 that I worked on there were seven charge bags.

The best feature of the 25pdr was its barrel design. The gun was heavy for its size, but its barrel life was unmatched by any other gun. It could be fired until its barrel starts to glow red. Then the crew would quench it with water and start firing it again. No other gun could stand up to that type of punishment.

John
Old 25-05-05, 07:25
Commonwealth NOT Europe

A little off topic, but don't you just love automatic 'swear word' editors? I've just noticed that the Royal Artillery motto in one of my previous posts hasn't escaped!
Not sure that my old RSM (Steel by name and steel by nature) would agree with that!! LOL

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 25-05-05, 07:42
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Units of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
A few more Units of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery serving with the Canadian Army (Active) on 8 May, 1945:
YIKES and Lessee now ... which one could it be :

Ma
Old 25-05-05, 14:38
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Ww2 Rca Gunner

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Folks,

Would like to know where and what an RCA GUNNER saw and did, and where, throughout WW2. Just to have an idea about my Grannies brother (yes, Uncle Eddie's Uncle, for those who are wondering if this is about yet another of my relations )

Thanks for any replies

Karmen
Hi Karmen;

Dumb question, do you know if he served in the "Active" or "Reserve" Army during the war years.

Cheers
Old 25-05-05, 15:43

Default Re: The 25pdr - supergun

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray

The best feature of the 25pdr was its barrel design. The gun was heavy for its size, but its barrel life was unmatched by any other gun. It could be fired until its barrel starts to glow red. Then the crew would quench it with water and start firing it again. No other gun could stand up to that type of punishment.

John
The 25pdr and the steadfast gunners were true workhorses of the PBI's. Many times I have read accounts of German POW's wanting to see our "automatic" artillery A 25 pdr armed with a trained crew rained hell upon our foes.
Old 25-05-05, 16:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: The 25pdr - supergun

Quote:
Originally posted by Waycool
The 25pdr and the steadfast gunners were true workhorses of the PBI's. Many times I have read accounts of German POW's wanting to see our "automatic" artillery A 25 pdr armed with a trained crew rained hell upon our foes.
Blackburn reports the record for one 4th Field gun was an astonishing 17 rounds in one minute (timed). The volume of ammunition they went through, throughout the NW Europe campaign, is astounding.

"MIKE TARGET! MIKE TARGET! MIKE TARGET! SCALE TEN, REPEAT!"
Old 25-05-05, 18:50
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Ww2 Rca Gunner

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Hi Karmen;

Dumb question, do you know if he served in the "Active" or "Reserve" Army during the war years.

Cheers
Hi Mark,

Sorry, but I don't know. I don't have his service record number yet and am trying to find out what it is. I may be requesting Uncle John's Service Records from the National Archives but need to see if I can find an obituary with his death date (I know the year, not the day) or find his serv. numb. for them.

I'm working on finding out this stuff.

Karmen
Old 25-05-05, 19:03

Default Re: Service Records

Karmen,

It's been my experience that while a Service Number helps, it's not required to get a copy of his records. As long as you can provide enough info that they can be sure they have the right guy, that should be enough. I've had past success with just

Name
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Name of Parents
Branch of Service
Dates of Service (pretty rough guesses in some cases)

That, along with proof that he's been deceased for more than 20 years (obit or death certificate) should be enough.
Old 25-05-05, 19:16
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Service Records

Quote:
Originally posted by klambie
Karmen,

It's been my experience that while a Service Number helps, it's not required to get a copy of his records. As long as you can provide enough info that they can be sure they have the right guy, that should be enough. I've had past success with just

Name
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Name of Parents
Branch of Service
Dates of Service (pretty rough guesses in some cases)

That, along with proof that he's been deceased for more than 20 years (obit or death certificate) should be enough.
Thanks a lot Kevin,

I'll have to try and come up with his obituary, which may be difficult as I only have the year "1974" ... but there was sure to be an obituary in the Winnipeg Free Press. Too bad that Manitoba's Vital Statistics online database for births doesn't show any info less than 100 years old ... Uncle John born 1913. Don' know his birthplace either. Am putting feelers out in the family in case someone remembers anything too.

Hmmmm ... :idea: ... I just recalled a lady from backhome who is into geneology ... maybe she's come across this info? Thanks for reminding me about Adele!!!!
Old 25-05-05, 20:53
48th Highlander

Default WW2 RCA gunnery

John
Another quick question....
I was told that that aucellating wurring sound coming from a 25pnd shell might be the brass rings breaking free of the shell in flight. Do you know if this was the case???: :
Old 26-05-05, 03:46

The “brass rings” must be referring to the driving band. While it is chewed up and left serrated by the riflings, I have never heard of then breaking up or coming off in flight. If this would happen I think it would have an adverse effect on the accuracy of the shell.
Old 01-01-06, 08:12
Vets Dottir

Default Well .... hot damn ...

Whoever was just reading this thread, I thank you for bringing it to light for me to read again ...

You MLU people and "the history you all bring home to me to share" is something else.

No good deed goes un-blessed