MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 10-07-04, 07:51
Vets Dottir

Default "Juno Beach" new book

Browsing Zellers this evening, I was blown away to see THIS book displayed with its top sellers.

Juno Beach
Canadian D-Day Victory:
June 6, 1944
by Mark Zuehlke
copyrite 2004
published by Douglas and McIntyre
ISBN 1-55365-050-6

($35.oo in Canada/$27.oo USA)

(nope... no money to buy it but I annoyed the saleslady by sitting down with it aand squinting without my glasses to write the details, then putting it back on the shelf. )

Do any of you know about this book? Feedback?

Thanks ... Karmen
Old 10-07-04, 13:48

My daughter gave me Zuehlke’s book for father’s day, and have read it. It deals only with D-Day. There is nothing new it, but, he dose bring the information together into a more coherent story and detailed story.

However, there are numerous errors in the book, especially when he is describing equipment. Here are a few:

“This model Spitfire [Mk IX] mounted two .303 Browning machine guns in each wing,…” [p59]

“a turretless Churchill tank chassis provided the platform for the Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineer (AVRE). This versatile device mounted a short-barrelled 12-inch demolition gun called a petard, …” [p44]

I could not find the exact quotes , but at one point he describes the Stuart’s used by the recce troops as being turretless, but contradicts himself later in the book. Also he describes the Panzer IV’s of the 21st Pz Div. as all having the short 75mm gun.

Also near the very beginning [p20] he gives the impression that the 1st CID arrived in England in December 1940.

It looks like the book was rushed to print and was not proof read.
Old 11-07-04, 09:03
Vets Dottir

Default Thanks J.

Thank you for the feed back John. That's all good stuff to know (I'm assuming you know what you're talking about -BIG )It's too bad the time (or something) wasn't taken to write this book properly. Such a drag when the WRONG or MISLEADING information is published. Then someone else comes along and "teaches" what they just read. If you don't know the subject, you don't know you aren't learning the facts. (OR teaching them!)

I trust that there are enough sticklers for the facts in this place that I'm getting a pretty darned good education! (now if ONLY I could REMEMBER!!!!! Old-timers Dis-ease has set in early at 50!)