MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 11-11-04, 21:45
Vets Dottir

Default another forum

Hello Maria aka Hilary
(which profile do we use for you Hilary or Maria : You're getting multiple names in here too just like me )

But that not why I'm posting for you ... I came across another forum and recalled your search so here is the link, perhaps you may find out some information regards your father there. Perhaps someone would even recall him and the place where he was over there

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk

Goodluck with your continueing search!! I hope you find what you're looking for here, there, somewhere. I know how important it is to find out about our paarents and family.

Take Care,

Karmen, Carman, MA YAPPY etc
Old 12-11-04, 10:42

Wow, Hilary. Ain't these guys great!
Old 13-11-04, 14:40
Vets Dottir

Default AG

Hi Hilary/Maria,

One of the things I do for people is when I have time and think of it, I do searching for information as a sort of "geneological kindness" as so many people have doone for me. I write down the names and pull out the list and random search. I did this with your fathers name this morning ... I simply enetered in Google "Arthur Gallant soldier"

LOOK what I found! You may already have come across this information of this WW1 Arthur Gallant, a fallen soldier ... I think it's too much coincidence that this Arthur Gallant and your father hold the same name and are from PEI. My guess is that your father MAY be a namesake of Arthur Gallant the Fallen Soldier of WW1.It's at least worth checking into ... if one of his siblings had a son, I could understand how they might name the son after the lost sibling. IF so... well ... you may find relations withstories and photos and who knows what else. I HOPE this is not adead end for you. But what are the ODDS... Both Arthur Gallants were from PEI... different wars. There is an email address for the man/relative who wrote about the WW1 Arthur at this page link:

http://www.islandregister.com/agallant.html

Oh ... another thing ... you might find this Arthurs Gallants Attestation records online at http://www.archives.ca They have a free searchable database of WW1 Soldiers.

I'll truly keep my fingers crossed for you that this is new information to you and that you may be lucky to have found people who will have known your father. I do hope so.

(I know what it's like to live with gaps where family knowledge should be as a birthright. I help if I can)
Old 27-11-04, 16:29
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: In am So Happy :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
What did I do now?....Karman told me to behave before she left and I've been behaving ........ I think :

Cheers
Hmmmm ... behaving? YOU?

I don't Think so!

PS: to MARK and DAVID ... you Historian types are a dedicated and perservering bunch ... amazing what info you came up with the misspellings and ther challenges for Hilary-Maria. Awesome work guys

Now I really must get focussed and back to work on my own projects too ... I haven't stopped caring ... just been absorbed elsewhere :
Old 06-02-05, 21:04
Maria

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mary King
Wow, Hilary. Ain't these guys great!
Hi Mary,

Sorry to be so late, had been in hospital before, so did not feel like using the computer as much, and it will soon be time to get a new compu.,, but that will have to wait , hope to be popping up more regularly in the near future

But without doubt, David and Mark have been an enormous help to both, and I guess I better include Karmen to

to you all

Hilary
Old 28-05-07, 12:19
former Resident Historian

Default CMD Southampton

Sorry to resusciate this thread but:

1. In the film THE LIFE & TIMES OF COLONEL BLIMP, 1943, GMC CCKW-353 trucks are featured in what was it is now believed THE BULL pub / hotel in Gerrard's Cross, Buckinghamshire, a short drive away from Haymill Camp on the Burnham Road.

http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Im...limp/Bull.html

2. I desperately need to find the number of vehicles that Capt R J Rekert and the guys from 2 Det rescued from the CMD, Southampton 30 November/1 December 1940. I thought it was 78, but can't now find the figures! There was a reference in TO THE THUNDERER HIS ARMS but can't find my copy now, and I believe that it might also be in the third copy of the 1 and 2 Det War Diaries that Clive sent me...I only have two after our house move.
Old 28-05-07, 15:58
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: CMD Southampton

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward

2. I desperately need to find the number of vehicles that Capt R J Rekert and the guys from 2 Det rescued from the CMD, Southampton 30 November/1 December 1940. I thought it was 78, but can't now find the figures! There was a reference in TO THE THUNDERER HIS ARMS but can't find my copy now, and I believe that it might also be in the third copy of the 1 and 2 Det War Diaries that Clive sent me...I only have two after our house move.
Hi David;

According to TO THE THUNDERER HIS ARMS, it states on page 95, for 30 November 1940:

the personnel from No. 2 Detachment were nevertheless able to save more than 20 completely assembled vehicles and several machinery lorries from the dockyard assembly area

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 02-10-07, 12:21
former Resident Historian

Default Thanks

I never did say thank you...sorry! In the War Diary it states how many were saved but I don't have that sheet that Mr Law sent me. Perils of moving house I think!

Regrettably nothing is left of the building now, it having been demolished about a year ago I think. The port company achieved what the Luftwaffe failed to do, i.e. complete demolition!
Old 16-11-08, 12:36

Default Haymill Camp

Hi Everyone, can I please say a big thank you to everyone for the informationi in this thread. I actually live very near where this camp was located in Haymill, Slough. I have been researching the local area history with an emphasis on the Haymill (the watermill) and during that research some of the older residents discussed the army camp. when I searchd further I found this thread and it has helped me to fill out some of the gaps. I would lover to hear more about the Haymill Camp so ifanyone has any other information I would love to hear from you. Thanks!