MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 29-02-04, 23:22

Default 2nd Canadian Field Regt RCA

Does anyone know if there is an official history of the above unit, or a regimental association?

According to the War Diary, during a raid on 7 March 1943, their Sergeants’ Mess and the HQ of Number 7 Battery were destroyed together with the billets of Number 7 Battery. This raid was at Eastbourne in Sussex.

I am seeking further information on the above and would appreciate any comments and leads.

On another tack, I’ve seen a photograph of Canadians at this time wearing berets with a bobble in the centre. Is this headgear restricted to Canadian Scottish regiments only? Would there have been a large number of units with such headgear?

Mike
Old 02-03-04, 16:27

It appears that where was a regimental history of the 2nd Fd Regt. RCA published soon after the end of the war in Utrecht. There is reference to it in “The Gunners of Canada Vol II 1919 -1967” by Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson as followers

“Regimental History: 2nd Canadian Field Regiment R.C.A. (Utrecht, n.d.)”

The current unit was only reconstituted with 7th, 50th and 66th batteries in 1966, following the disbanding of the 2nd Medium Regiment in 1965. I was a member of 2Fd from 1971 to 1976. At that time the only link with its past history was in its name only. There was no regimental association or veterans groups that I know of. If you want to contact the Regiment their address is:

2 Field Regiment
Royal Canadian artillery
4185 Cote des Neiges Rd
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
H3H 1X2

The 10 field battery, which was part of 2Fd Regiment during WWII, has a web site and an association. The link to their site is:

http://www.10thbtyassn.com/

You can also try to contact the RCA museum in Shilo Manitoba ;

http://www.artillery.net/english/engstart.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-03-04, 17:23

Default 2nd Cdn Field Regt History

Thank for the helpful leads; I’ll be looking at the two sites you mention. It would be great if someone could check in a copy of the official history to see if there is mention of the incident.

Regards

Mike