MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-04-08, 18:11

Default Dutch Resistance

A friend has two certificates that have been in his family, since WWII. Very little is known about Theodorus Braam to whom the certificates were issued although they think he was executed by the Germans.

The first certificate is signed on behalf of the President of the United States by Dwight D. Eisenhower and extends the gratitude and appreciation of the American people for Theodorus Braam’s assistance in aiding in the escape of Allied soldiers.

The second is signed by Air Chief Marshall Tedder and thanks Theodorus Braam for helping sailors, soldiers and airmen of the British Commonwealth of Nations to escape and evade the Germans.

Would anyone be able to supply us with more information on Theodorus?
Thanks
Murray
Old 21-04-08, 22:02
MLU Administrator

Murray,

I will try to help you find an answer, but I have to rely on other people help as this is not my area of expertise. I have forwarded you question to some people who might me able to help.

Please stay tuned.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 21-04-08, 22:31

Thanks Hanno

Murray
Old 22-05-08, 12:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Would anyone be able to supply us with more information on Theodorus?
Murray,

A Keep Them Rolling member suggested the NIOD (Netherlands Institute for War Documentation) should know more about him. I sent an online request and today I received a reply from Mr. Berkhout of the NOID. I have translated his reply as follows below. I hope it is of interest to you.

Regards,
Hanno

Quote:
Theodorus Anthonie Braam was born 10 December 1884 at Doesburg. He was a chartered accountant living at Wierdenschestraat 52, Almelo, when he was arrested on 17 March 1942 for hiding Allied pilots.

Around November 1941 Braam got a request to hide Peter Conran, who stays for 4-5 weeks. During this period Jimmy Kirk also arrives, who stays for circa 7 weeks.

After his arrest Braam was transferred to Almelo, Scheveningen (Oranjehotel), Utrecht (Gansstraat prison), Amsterdam (Weteringschans prison) and Utrecht (Wolvenplein prison). In Utrecht he was put on trial together with 15 others for the Luftgaugericht. He was sentenced to death on 30 September 1942, but this was converted to 15 year penitentiary sentence on 4 November 1942. After this he was transported to penitentiaries at Kleef, Rheinbach, Siegburg and Rodgau camp. On 23 May 1945 he returns to the Netherlands, where he died on 7 October 1947 at Almelo.

His wife, Geertruida Francisca Rudolfina Braam-Jansen (born 7 May 1885 at Almelo), was also arrested. She was transferred to Almelo, Scheveningen, Utrecht (Gansstraat prison), camp Ravensbrück and Mauthausen. On 25 May 1945 she returned to the Netherlands, weakened by various diseases.

Halfway May 1946 American Government announced it was proceeding to present decorations to people who helped pilots in Europe. The research for these rewards was conducted by the Military Intelligence Service, Escape and Evasion Section (MIS-X). The Archives of this section of the American Military are being kept by the National Archives and Records Administration. This archive contains records on French, Dutch and Belgians, the so-called "Helpers' Files" 1945-1947. For information from this archive you can contact: National Archives at College Park, Modern Military Records (NWCTM), 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001 (http://www.archives.gov/research/gui...roups/498.html).

The medals were presented during several large gatherings in The Netherlands, such as in Amsterdam or on the Binnenhof at The Hague. Those who received a certificate only got them sent home by mail.

The NOID does not have records on the British decoration. The British Intelligence Service (MI-9) would have been involved in the granting research, but it is unknown to the NIOD if any of these archives are still kept.
Old 22-05-08, 12:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
A friend has two certificates that have been in his family, since WWII.
Murray,

Would it be possible to scan the certificates and post them here?

Also, how did your friend's family come into the posession of these certificates? Are they in any way related to Theodurus Braam?

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 22-05-08, 16:36

Hanno thank you very much for your response, I am sure my friends will appreciate it I know I certainly do. I will ask them about scanning the certificates. I will also try and clarify the relationship although I believe Theodorus was my friend's Uncle.
Old 05-10-08, 20:52

Default Certificates

I apologize for the delay it posting the images of these certificates. My friends live in another city, so we were not able to get together again until this weekend. Here is the first one.
Attached Thumbnails
Theodoris1.jpg  
Old 05-10-08, 20:53

Default #2

and the second.
Attached Thumbnails
Theodoris2.jpg  
Old 05-10-08, 21:03

Default The Occupied Garden

I recently came across a book about a Dutch family's experience during the war. Called "The Occupied Garden" it relates the story of a farmer (soldier) raising a young family during the Occupation and their subsequent emigration to Canada. It is available in Canada at major booksellers and through Amazon.ca.

The web page for the book is:
http://www.theoccupiedgarden.com/index.shtml

It has just been published in the Netherlands as well with the title "De Kinderen van de Tuinder."