Name:	P2110666.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	47060 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110694.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	47061
After serious consideration and some regret, I have decided to put my Beechcraft Travelair cockpit simulator project up for sale. If you are interested, or know someone who is, send me a private message & I will attempt to answer any questions not addressed in the text below. This is advertised for sale at $1200. It has been mounted on a specially built trailer, which is included in the sale. This cockpit has been stored under cover since it was first mounted on the trailer, following the landing accident which junked the aircraft many years ago. It has been languishing in back of one of my sheds since I moved North of Gympie, QLD, 5 years ago. It's last trip was the journey from Brisbane to where it is now, and the plastic covering was applied for weather protection prior to that trip. That plastic was only opened this afternoon!

Below is a copy of an email I sent to a friend in response to an enquiry today. Since that email, I have unwrapped the portion of protective plastic wrap to inspect and take some photos. Interior photographs will be posted in coming minutes. There's too many to put into one entry!

The cockpit is a Beechcraft travelair twin engine configuration, most likely a 95 model (not year). It would have been from either 1960s or 1970s I have been told. The cockpit is complete, apart from a windscreen. This was originally a flying aircraft which crashed on landing. It was cut from the remainder of the aircraft, approximately 2-3ft behind both the front seats, and has a further 2-3ft in front of the instrument panel. Both ends have been sealed off with plywood forst, then a skin of thin metal plate over that. It is professionally wired to 240v and has a caravan style power input with cover. There is a small exhaust fan on rear of cockpit for fresh air circulation while the door is closed. Obviously this is not an issue until a windscreen is fitted! I have taken measurements and produced diagrams for assembly of a multiple pane windscreen of flat glass similar to the large bombers of WWII. Ideally I had intended to use frosted glass, for a front mounted projector to project a reversed image from a simulator program. At the time, Microsoft Flight Simulator was the planned option. The previous owner and original builder of this project has successfully wired lighting on instrument panel and a number of the individual instruments can be made to increase or decrease their readings by movement of the applicable switches.

Majority of primary flight controls had already been wired with potentiometers (either rotary or slide, depending on the need). These have not yet been connected to wiring of flight sim controler, but it would be a simple task to do this directly to one of the popular (and inexpensive) joysticks with a rudder capability. Rudder pedals, control yoke, engine control levers (x2 of course) and trim tab wheels are all 'pot.' wired, awaiting connection to flight sim interface. Some time ago, I researched and located electronics diagrams for a device called a "one-shot", which simply sends a single signal to the computer with eash individual movement. This would be essential with movement of flaps and especially undercarriage, which would otherwise go up and down in the flight sim software continuously when the physical lever is moved.

Since I purchased this interesting piece, I ahve had the seats professionally re-upholstered, the floor carpeting replaced and the side lining and rear bulkheads of cockpit covered in thin black short pile auto carpet to dampen sound and provide a more realistic experience. I also have 2 "rumble packs" which I was intenting to install beneath the seats. These get input from an audio signal and conervt them into physical movements. These would cause the entire cockpit (seats especially) to vibrate with the engine noise and increase the sensation while undercarriage is lowering or raising.

The entire cockpit is easily moved around, as it is on a puropse made trailer which has two lowerable struts for stability while 'playing' inside. I put brand new tyres on this trailer just before I put it into storage. They have done whatever the distance is between my previous home in Brisbane and this home Nth of Gympie. All wiring was working without fault last time used. Trailer is not registered. It has not been moved an inch in 5 years, and remains in undercover storage in my general purpose shed. General purpose as opposed to CMP purpose, that is!

Please excuse any typos in the above text, there was a lot to write in not much time. Dinner is awaiting!
Old 11-02-12, 11:01
Tony Baker

Default Cockpit Interior photographs - Part 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110668.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	47063 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110677.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	47064 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110670.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	47065 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110671.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	47066 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110672.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	47067
More photos as promised. Incidentally, the cover for the trim wheels (centre lower portion of instrument panel, between the rudder pedal sets) is off in the applicable photo, but I have it safe & sound. It just screws back on.

Another set of photos to follow ASAP!
Old 11-02-12, 11:20
Tony Baker

Default Cockpit Interior photographs - Part 2

Name:	P2110673.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	47068 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	47069 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110678.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	47070 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110682.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	47071 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110681.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	47072

Second photo is the fuel selector and primer pump panel, between the seats.

Last photo shows the audio speakers behind each seat. These are NOT the 'rumble packs' I spoke about in original posting. Those packs are stored elsewhere and are yet to be fitted.

More photos to follow!
Old 11-02-12, 11:43
Tony Baker

Default Cockpit Interior photographs - Part 3

Name:	P2110682.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	47075 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110683.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	47076 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110684.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	47078 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110685.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	47079 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110686.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	47080
When I first took over this project, I found radar 'ident' was still functioning (all instruments have power supplied) and potentially being interogated by air traffic control tower. This instrument has now been FULLY disabled and the aerial removed to ensure no further federal air regulations are able to be broken.

If you were working at the Brisbane Control Tower in 2001..........sorry about that

Last lot of photos follows.
Old 11-02-12, 11:57
Tony Baker

Default Cockpit Interior photographs - Part 4, Last ones

Name:	P2110688.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	47081 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110689.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	47082 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110691.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	47084 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110690.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	47083
First photo shows the rear bulkhead items. Upper right is the extractor fan for fresh air while door closed for 'flying', and left bottom shows the inside power plug for computer to connect to. I was going to hide the computer inside an ammunition box laid across the rear floor shelf.

The door side has been sanded for painting. Other side has been primed. From memory I think the front and rear panels are primer also.

The windscreen pillar on door side has a crease at bottom. It was filled when I got it, but I didn't like the quality of the finish, so I removed filler for plating with aluminium. This has not yet been done.

The final photo shows one of the two lowerable legs that can be locked to ensure safety of occupants. The jockey wheel at front is wound down until the two legs are firmy planted. While the legs can be locked in up position, I recommend their removal for travelling.

Here are a couple of interesting links:
http://www.fscockpit.com/usergroupsandforums.html
http://www.cockpitfest.co.uk/

Well thats it!

Last edited by Private_collector; 11-02-12 at 14:11.