MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-02-13, 11:57
Tony Baker

Smile Send your best wishes to a Pearl Harbor Veteran, on his birthday!

Folks,

A Pearl Harbor Survivor I met some weeks ago, is having his 90th Birthday in April this year.

Mr Alexander 'Alex' Dyga was one of the lucky ones who escaped with his life, when the Japanese attacked on December 7th, 1941. His story can be read on a number of sources. Just do a google search for "Alexander Dyga"

Alex volunteers annualy at the Valor in the Pacific museum, which is where the launch departs for the short ride across to the Arizona Memorial, sitting over the USS Arizona itself. He is always to be found there each december 7th.

I am intending to write to Alex in next week or so, wishing him happy birthday, and expressing my gratitude and thanks for his military service. The envelope will be sent to the museum at Pearl Harbor. They will pass it on to Alex, in continental USA. I didn't think to ask for his address, and wouldn't expect it to be given from Pearl Harbor. Particularly in these days of confidentiality etc..

If anyone would like to add a message or birthday wishes of their own, post it here and I will copy each item individually and print them seperately. These will all be sent to Alex via Pearl Harbor. He should get them before his birthday, which is 16th April (if I recall correctly). I thought this might be a nice gesture and a fitting tribute to a lovely old gentleman who did his bit for freedom.

If you don't want to post a message here, PM it to me instead.

One last thing: If you are sending a message, please sign off with your christian name and country of origin! I'm sure Alex would get a real kick out of knowing that his birthday messages are from all over the globe.
Over to you folks

Last edited by Private_collector; 19-02-13 at 12:28. Reason: added info
Old 19-02-13, 13:23
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Pearl harbor

Hi Tony

Nice gesture mate. I have visited the Arizona Memorial a number of times now and on each occasion found it to be a very moving experience. I found it hard to reflect on the carnage and 1000+ men still entombed below my feet with all the camera snapping Japanese tourists. I would like you to convey my very best wishes to Alex on his 90th Birthday may he enjoy many more.

I believe that when a surviving veteran passes away he is cremated and after all the tourists are gone for the day a ceremony is held at the memorial and navy divers place the urn in the wreck so the person is united in death with his shipmates forever.

Cheers

Tony
Old 19-02-13, 20:27
WO8 C15A 142736

Happy 90th. Alex, and thank you for playing your part in keeping us free.
Robert Pearce NSW Australia.