MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 30-09-09, 00:09
carrier mech

Default What does one do in Ottawa?

I am in Ottawa for some pre-deployment training on Connought ranges. I managed to make it to the CWM on Monday ($50 taxi fare..ouch) but will have a couple days to kill on Sunday, possible Monday, and then on Tuesday. Are there any good militaria shops or surplus stores that are worthy of the taxi fares required to get around this town?
Old 30-09-09, 01:10
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Gracies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I am in Ottawa for some pre-deployment training on Connought ranges. I managed to make it to the CWM on Monday ($50 taxi fare..ouch) but will have a couple days to kill on Sunday, possible Monday, and then on Tuesday. Are there any good militaria shops or surplus stores that are worthy of the taxi fares required to get around this town?
Rob..
Where are you staying and maybe we can gather up some Rotters for a small thrash..at Gracies..
Rob..Grant..Boobee...all the other guys need a Friday night parade..
Speak up..
Old 30-09-09, 02:07
Mr. HUP

Default Ottawa

Welcome to Ottawa, Rob. Some call our fair city "The town that fun forgot". The sidewalks get rolled up every night at around 8PM with the exceptions of the local watering holes and the infamous Market. Fortunately, Quebec is just across the river - there you can carouse until 3AM.

If we get some response for a Gracie's call on Friday (if you are indeed available) we will plan on meeting there - transport will be a bitch, but if you hop the bus at a reasonable hour, you can get to St. Laurent Mall for about $3.00. Getting back may be tricky, but if some Westenders show up, that solves the problem.

If Gracie's does not work out, howzabout a visit to the Hammond Barn? Check with the HQ folks to see if there is a duty run downtown. If not, then we can look at other options...
Old 30-09-09, 03:03
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Impromptu Gracies Call

If you guys wanna go for Friday, methinks we can make that. I'll even show you my new Jeep...
Old 30-09-09, 15:11

Default Chauffeeraroni...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Welcome to Ottawa, Rob. Some call our fair city "The town that fun forgot". The sidewalks get rolled up every night at around 8PM with the exceptions of the local watering holes and the infamous Market. Fortunately, Quebec is just across the river - there you can carouse until 3AM.

If we get some response for a Gracie's call on Friday (if you are indeed available) we will plan on meeting there - transport will be a bitch, but if you hop the bus at a reasonable hour, you can get to St. Laurent Mall for about $3.00. Getting back may be tricky, but if some Westenders show up, that solves the problem.

If Gracie's does not work out, howzabout a visit to the Hammond Barn? Check with the HQ folks to see if there is a duty run downtown. If not, then we can look at other options...
Rob..
If you tell me where you are and pm me through MLU and leave me a phone number and location I can look after your transportation for Friday night..
We usually meet at Gracies at 1700hrs...(For Rob Clarke...the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on five..in the afternoon..)..
Let me know quick..I am available Friday but heading out of town soon after//
Contact soon.
Alex
Old 30-09-09, 23:24
RIP

Quote:
What does one do in Ottawa?
I have lived in Ottawa for 20+ years and have often asked myself the same question.
Sorry I won't be there to ogle the Gracie's Girls - not to mentiojn that it would have been nice to put a face to the name.
Cheers

Clive
Old 01-10-09, 01:28
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Rob..
If you tell me where you are and pm me through MLU and leave me a phone number and location I can look after your transportation for Friday night..
We usually meet at Gracies at 1700hrs...(For Rob Clarke...the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on five..in the afternoon..)..
Let me know quick..I am available Friday but heading out of town soon after//
Contact soon.
Alex
Sounds good. We work until 5, then have to get back to the hotel. Unfortunately, all the tents at Connought were booked up, so we have to stay at the nearby Brookside. Just my bad luck I guess. I'll shoot you a PM with the details.

I'm not a drinker, but it will be nice to put some faces to names. I'll have to pass on the 3 am thing as well, we work on Saturday as well.

I ran into Terry Warner while leaving the training facility today, and hopefully will get a chance to get over to look at his Jeep in the next little while.
Old 01-10-09, 03:29

Default Contact...

Quote:
Sounds good. We work until 5, then have to get back to the hotel. Unfortunately, all the tents at Connought were booked up, so we have to stay at the nearby Brookside. Just my bad luck I guess. I'll shoot you a PM with the details.

I'm not a drinker, but it will be nice to put some faces to names. I'll have to pass on the 3 am thing as well, we work on Saturday as well.

I ran into Terry Warner while leaving the training facility today, and hopefully will get a chance to get over to look at his Jeep in the next little while.
Rob.

OK..We are on..I'll call you at the hotel..
With details..
It's official...Gracies...Friday night..should be there by 18:30HRs(6:30 PM).at the latest..Keep us a couple of seats..
Rob..Boobee..Grant...Terry...JIf...y'all know the drill..and anyone else to meet our Western kindred spirit..
Alex
Old 01-10-09, 03:38

OK, we're coming. Alex (or anyone), can you suggest a decent motel close by Gracies? We'll need to crash before heading back to The Big Smoke.

We'll probably be there before anyone else, so if you're booking what's the name? We'll hold the fort until you get there...

Jif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Rob.

OK..We are on..I'll call you at the hotel..
With details..
It's official...Gracies...Friday night..should be there by 18:30HRs(6:30 PM).at the latest..Keep us a couple of seats..
Rob..Boobee..Grant...Terry...JIf...y'all know the drill..and anyone else to meet our Western kindred spirit..
Alex
Old 01-10-09, 03:48

Default Contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
OK, we're coming. Alex (or anyone), can you suggest a decent motel close by Gracies? We'll need to crash before heading back to The Big Smoke.

We'll probably be there before anyone else, so if you're booking what's the name? We'll hold the fort until you get there...

Jif
Hi Jif.
Just talked to Rob on the phone and will be picking him up between 5:30-6....
The Paris Motel is on Montreal Rd,just up Aviation Parkway and around the corner from Gracies..
Google Gracies and then search nearby motels and you'll get a map ..

Paris Motel Address:‎

665 Montreal Rd
Ottawa, ON K1K 0T1

(613) 745-6891
See you there..
Poor old Clive...the ladies will miss him..
Old 01-10-09, 17:43

Are we confirmed then? I'd like to book the motel this afternoon, but if no one else is going to show up at Gracies....
Old 01-10-09, 17:59

Default Gracies..

Quote:
Are we confirmed then? I'd like to book the motel this afternoon, but if no one else is going to show up at Gracies....
Hi Jif..
Terry Warner is in town..Rob and I will be there..Rob Clarke seems to indicate his attendance..
Haven't heard from anyone else,but like ratz..if there is cheese..they will be there..only it is beer..and tender young vitals..
I have to fight my way in from the west end after 17:30 with Rob so won't be able to get an early table,but you will be the recce Sqn.and there early enough to get and hold a spot for 8-10..??
Grant and Bob and Rob Clarke..Speak up..!!
Gunner..??
Guy..??
Greg..??
And all the Ilitsis guys...this is your chance to meet and talk to the King of Ill hisself..Rob Love..so be there..
All invited..Rusty Old Military vehicles and beer..only prerequesites for admitance..beer money should be considered..
See you there..

Jif.
Bring lots of MLU stickers..etc...

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 01-10-09 at 18:04. Reason: None of your business...LOL
Old 01-10-09, 20:42
carrier mech

Oh no, not Iltis fanatics. I will have to answer for all my criticisms against these trucks.

I guess I could talk about what you have to fix on them, since I did that (again and again) for many years. I believe they will be very rare some day soon, as the parts dry up and the major assemblies give in.
Old 01-10-09, 23:02
Mr. HUP

Default Count Me In

Axel, Thanks for taking up the mantle. I will be at Gracies Friday night. Rob

PS - I think Gunner is away...
Old 02-10-09, 01:25

Default Rob..Bob..Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Axel, Thanks for taking up the mantle. I will be at Gracies Friday night. Rob

PS - I think Gunner is away...
Hi Rob..
I missed the August thrash because I was away and am heading out again on Tuesday so glad I could make this one..
How about your wingers..Bob and Grant..Can't they come out to play..??
Or are they off on a mission of recovery??
You got to get Rob out to the barn..
Old 02-10-09, 01:30

Default Ilitisisisist..

Quote:
Oh no, not Iltis fanatics. I will have to answer for all my criticisms against these trucks.

I guess I could talk about what you have to fix on them, since I did that (again and again) for many years. I believe they will be very rare some day soon, as the parts dry up and the major assemblies give in.
Jeez Rob...I could never own one of them..Can't spell it..Must be French...or German or Dutch or something..I'll have to stick to Jeeps or CMP's..
Will catch you at the hotel tomorrow..
Alex
Old 02-10-09, 01:39

Sally and I are booked in to Pari's Motel for tomorrow night. I'm hoping to get there approx 1630 and be at Gracies approx 1700. We'll see if we can set aside a table for 10 at that time, unless one of you closer makes those arrangements. In the meantime, see who else you can round up, for our last Gracies Call before the weather turns to shit!

Old 02-10-09, 02:04

Default Routine orders

Quote:
Sally and I are booked in to Pari's Motel for tomorrow night. I'm hoping to get there approx 1630 and be at Gracies approx 1700. We'll see if we can set aside a table for 10 at that time, unless one of you closer makes those arrangements. In the meantime, see who else you can round up, for our last Gracies Call before the weather turns to shit!

Jif..
I called the parade and posted routine orders here at MLU action central..I see some of the Rotters on line when I'm on line so I know they are seeing the message..don't forget your MLU stuff.
I'm heading south next week and need some..
Old 02-10-09, 03:03

Default Will be there.......

Very busy this week...... and behind in reading all the MLU postings.

Glad you are meeting later...... I will be taking advantage of the one day of sunshine toworrow to do some sandblasting so I will be there.....grubby and gritty.....but will be there 6:00 ish.

BooB
Canada
Old 02-10-09, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Very busy this week...... and behind in reading all the MLU postings.

......... I will be taking advantage of the one day of sunshine toworrow to do some sandblasting ..........
At least you'll be doing something useful for a change....

Old 02-10-09, 03:30

Default Joining the rank of the unemployed....

Hi Jiff

Yes was busy cleaning my desk so I could quit today and join the unemployed in Canada.

Are you enjoying your retirement.....? Besides polishing that Jeep what else do you do on retirement.......??

I am going to give retirement a good try tomorrow...... see if it works...!

See you at Greasies!!!!

Boob
Canada
Old 02-10-09, 13:10

Default Retardimnet...

Quote:
Hi Jiff

Yes was busy cleaning my desk so I could quit today and join the unemployed in Canada.

Are you enjoying your retirement.....? Besides polishing that Jeep what else do you do on retirement.......??

See you at Greasies!!!!

Boob
Boobee..
Congratulations ..
Great reason for a gather up..as if we need one..
See you tonight.
Alex
Old 02-10-09, 15:40

Quote:
Hi Jiff

See you at Greasies!!!!

Boob
Great news, Bob, and congratulations!!! We look forward to seeing you tonight.... please bring your lovely lady if she is so inclined, Sally will be there with me!

Jif
Old 02-10-09, 17:08
Addicted to Drab

Default Retirement

Bob,

Fantastic...congrats....you better start building up a good stockpile for Lucifer. If you are out there 5 days of the week you just might clear your land sooner that you think. LOL.

Once again Bob, Congratulations.

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk

Can't swing a trip to Ottawa on such short notice...got trucks to recover...another Ford to soon join Geoff's Aus FAT and my Blondie....
Old 03-10-09, 04:21
carrier mech

Back from Gracies and it was nice to have met some of the Ottawa crowd. Special thanks to Alex for the drive to and from the restaurant.

Some very good food, great conversation, and the waitresses were not half bad either. I would love to take one (or two) home but they would never survive a Manitoba winter...they need to put a few more pounds on.
Old 03-10-09, 16:28
Mr. HUP

Default Impromptu Gracie's Call

Alex, Well done. Your role as social butterfly is well appreciated. The Gracies meet was enjoyable and made a rainy night in Ottawa a little more tolerable. Guest wise, it was good to put a face to the name - welcome to Ottawa, Rob. Geoff WB and Sally made the trek from Toronto in Geoff's Jeep, which he took great pride in showing off. Funny thing was that all of us walked by it without noticing it - the camoflage pattern in the dark really did make it hard to see. Nice rig.

Geoff and Alex spent a good amount of time holding hands and commiserating over something or other...:

The select few: Jessica, our server, Geoff, Sally, Grant, Bob C, Guy Vapeur, Rob Love and Alex Blair.

It was a good get together and we plan to host other MLU'ers who come to town. So, if you are in Ottawa, hit the Rotters up on MLU!
Old 03-10-09, 21:45
RIP

It seems like all the Gracie's Girls are called Jessica.... It can't be the same one cause I never forget a nice set of....eyes.
Old 13-10-09, 02:34

Default What eyes.....???

First a reply to CLive.....

....they do have eyes you know...... proof is that Jessica has served us on at least 3 occasions...... so CLive next time look a little higher..... pervert!!

...and Stuart....... yeah I retired.... for one day on that infamous Friday.... started a next gig at Industry Canada the following Monday.... I think I am addicted to the $$$$$.....

Was hoping to see that night.....

You can always visit the barn on a weekend....but call first.... we still have recoveries to do and would not want to miss you.

Boob
Canada
Old 14-10-09, 02:51

Default Business hours at Prefair.....

Hi Stuart

Any such trip has to be done during a week day.... preferrably government hours...... 9 to 4:30...... or the yard is closed. Weekend is a look through the fence only deal.....

Might be worth taking a trailer along just in case.

Bob
Canada
Old 15-10-09, 03:33
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post

I will have to check the posts more often. We need to arrange a group trip to Prefair in Montreal one weekend in the spring, to check out their stock. I want to pick up a roll of seat material. There is a local fellow near the science museum in Ottawa that does sewing classes for appolstry. I want to do some Iltis seats. You may want to do some seats for your trucks. Prefair has a huge selection of MIL sewing material, plus the usual MIL clothing and parts. The back yard is usually full of all sorts of stuff. Worth a walk around....

Cheers!
Stuart
The owner of Prefair is a thoroughly Francophone named Jean-Baptiste ---, orJ-B for short. He is a deal maker, and with sufficient warning can find what you want/need/desire in his yard.

FWIW, the front seats in an Iltis are vinyl on foam. I don't think canvas upholstry material would work.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!