MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-11-21, 01:30
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Bruce, I love your picture of the wilted bird killer. It represents to me a small win against a political religion versus real science. I'm not saying its not based on some immeasurable truth, just that I'm against the knee jerk over reaction. I see plastic pollution as a bigger problem. Being one of the previously mentioned dinosaurs may have a bearing on my world view?
That thing will have been buried somewhere (not recyclable) so it's out of sight and out of mind to the greens.
FYI If I have this right one quarter of human CO2 release is from cement production.
Rob, I was also somewhat fascinated by the marble machine. I noticed he lost a couple. Because mine are small (and fragile), I store them in a bag.
What was the topic???
Now ya gone and done it. The relentless march of those wind turbines stopped but a few miles west of us by the lucky happenstance of an election. Those suffering from their expensive uselessness I feel for; the blinking red lights guarantee they will get no sleep or ever see stars gain. Two locations near me...famous and magnificent tourist beaches and renowned bird migratory routes...have been peppered with the monsters. That, plus the increases to our electricity bills and paying the Americans to take our surplus juice when the wind blows is icing on the cake. Our most magnificent city (and centre of the universe) Toronto was to have turbines installed in Lake Ontario off its waterfront but it never happened. Highbrow condo dwellers didn't like their view sullied so no go. Saving the planet must be borne by us rural folks I guess.

My thread. My right to hijack it. Everyone else has my permission (sorry Hanno!!)
Old 20-11-21, 06:38
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
FYI If I have this right one quarter of human CO2 release is from cement production.
A lot of this argument is emotional and subjective. Good to see some concrete facts brought into the debate!
Old 20-11-21, 10:14
MLU Administrator

Default “This thread has meandered more than most”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
My thread. My right to hijack it. Everyone else has my permission (sorry Hanno!!)
Knock yourself out, we’re in the Sergeants’ Mess
Old 20-11-21, 11:31
Bluebell

Rob, You may make what you like of it. Even Dinosaurs need a giggle now and then.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-11-21, 04:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I am over 60 and I don't have a cell phone and if I did, I would probably loose it...
I still go to the bank in person and do everything with a teller.
Everything ?

Ed, do you ever consider we may have been born in the wrong century?
Old 21-11-21, 13:02

Default Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Everything ?

Ed, do you ever consider we may have been born in the wrong century?
Hehehe, I like to think of it as being born in the right century. At least that is what I tell myself in the morning while reading the newspaper.
Old 21-11-21, 13:25
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Hehehe, I like to think of it as being born in the right century. At least that is what I tell myself in the morning while reading the newspaper.
Swinging this back a little more serious, a good friend and I were talking along these lines. As much as we'd both like to be in our twenties starting this whole thing over again (but retaining what we know of course), we concluded we are happy to have lived when we did. We got to do things and experience a life without all the crap, groupthink progresso-nonsense and, well, left alone to get into all kinds of fun trouble.
Old 23-11-21, 20:58

Amen to that. I'm sure we have seen the best of it.

David

MLU, a bit of sanity in a mad, mad world.
Old 22-12-21, 15:11
GM Fox I

So Canada and our stoopendously magnificent Liberal government has upped the date for conversion to electric vehicles to 2035. It follows that if 100% of vehicles are electric you won't have a gas station on every corner from which you can buy gasoline to power your antique or classic gas-engined baby. And even if there remains a niche market to distill gas it most surely will be engine wrecking ethanol blend at about $50 bucks per litre (plus carbon tax).

Follow up question is what happens to all those antique restored vehicles that you can't get or afford gas for. I expect without the ability to drive them most owners will have little incentive to keep them. Museums may take a few but the rest will become expensive garage fillers.

h t t p s://www.cbc.ca/news/science/electric-vehicle-charging-stations-1.6293915

Canada is mandating EV sales — 50 per cent of new cars sold in 2030 must be emissions-free, growing to 100 per cent in 2035 — but nobody is taking the lead to make sure people know what that means in terms of how much electricity, or how many charging stations, will be needed, said Kingston.
Old 22-12-21, 17:15
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Bruce
I feel that the Liberals initiatives are simply political posturing, a feel good, look at us type of thing.
As I work in the power utilities world, this topic comes up within the circles of my peers.
What the asshats in government aren’t saying is how exactly they plan on implementing such measures without the infrastructure to support the plan.
For example, Ontario’s power grid is insuffiently equipped to supply a sudden influx of EVs.
Just consider any average neighbourhood in your town. Imagine each and every home having to install and use at least one 50A circuit for a charger…
The requirements for the Province will be astronomical. EV technology isn’t even close to where it needs to be. In a country as vast as Canada, where transportation is a need, more so than a want, a vehicle that only has limited range is almost useless outside of urban centres.
If the “plan” really is a “plan”, we in the electrical business haven’t even seen, nor heard of any intended upgrades or new construction projects. It takes at least 10 years to build a new generating station, not to mention upgrades to existing infrastructure. To even begin to make any of this a reality, shovels need to go into the ground tomorrow…
I have recently seen that Ford is offering up E crate engines. The antique vehicle community is already talking.
As for myself, I think that I am finished with acquiring vehicles and will concentrate my efforts into other areas of collecting.
At least my mule fleet is off road use, no issues with government licensing and the little bit of avgas they can run on should continue for a while…Maybe need to look into a still lol.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-12-21, 18:48
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
What the asshats in government aren’t saying is how exactly they plan on implementing such measures without the infrastructure to support the plan.
Agreed, they are very quiet on the 'how'. But two things come to mind. Whatever they put in place I am certain won't take the needs of rural people into account ("so why can't they all use electric public transit to get to the Starbucks" say the urbanites?). Second, and more disturbing, is the plan they may have includes limiting your ability to work where you want (commute), live where you want (high density is way more efficient), travel and vacation where you want (WAY too carbon intensive), heat your house or feed your kids (that's what foodbanks and school breakfast programs are for) and various other hits to your standard of living. No matter however, with inflation and taxation to pay down the massive debt it's not like you'll have anything left to afford those 'luxuries'.
Old 23-12-21, 01:33
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Bruce, I do concur. I am an accused conspiracy theorist and by all accounts can go on and on with my personal beliefs into the direction our Government, and those of the World are going….
We all need to do our part to keep our freedom in which ever way we can. Seemingly, it appears that the majority of citizens would rather cow to a society who is “taken care of” by government instead of sustaining ones self.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 23-12-21, 01:53

Stupid Liberals, without using fermented dinosaurs for fuel how will Justy the Klown and his Klown Kar full of Liberal misfits jet off around the world or roll with their fleet of armoured SUVs for the entourage ?? Did someone invent a pedal power aircraft for the fool(s) yet ?
Old 23-12-21, 05:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Canadians are taking a lead in this!

If you don't want to tow around a 20' trailer with a GMC Charging unit (see the T16 thread), perhaps consider swapping to a fully Electric Flathead engine? 300Hp, full torque at 0rpm.

https://www.webbmotorworks.com/produ...or-reservation

I think Webb Motorworks has nothing to do with Keith Webb, but is actually a business based in BC, Canada.

All looks great, until you see the starting price is from US$50,000!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Webb1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	126685 Name:  Webb2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  24.8 KB
Old 23-12-21, 15:10
GM Fox I

I hope that stupid thing rots in h&ll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
The Canadians are taking a lead in this!

If you don't want to tow around a 20' trailer with a GMC Charging unit (see the T16 thread), perhaps consider swapping to a fully Electric Flathead engine? 300Hp, full torque at 0rpm.

https://www.webbmotorworks.com/produ...or-reservation

I think Webb Motorworks has nothing to do with Keith Webb, but is actually a business based in BC, Canada.

All looks great, until you see the starting price is from US$50,000!
Old 23-12-21, 15:14
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Bruce, I do concur. I am an accused conspiracy theorist and by all accounts can go on and on with my personal beliefs into the direction our Government, and those of the World are going….
We all need to do our part to keep our freedom in which ever way we can. Seemingly, it appears that the majority of citizens would rather cow to a society who is “taken care of” by government instead of sustaining ones self.
I never thought I'd see the day people are mocked for defending freedom or pointing out when it is being eroded. Yet here we are. Have these idiots no idea how precious it is and how hard it was to fight for?
Old 23-12-21, 22:43
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I hope that stupid thing rots in h&ll.
I sure if you asked they could make you a Chev 6 version instead?
Old 23-12-21, 23:05
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
I sure if you asked they could make you a Chev 6 version instead?
It would likely have an oil reservoir that constantly leaks so that you would still think it's a chev powerplant.
Old 23-12-21, 23:13
GM Fox I

Just stop, the pair of you.
Old 18-01-22, 14:53
GM Fox I

As so by incremental little steps we are headed down this path:

(yes it's the left coast which tends to be wonkier than the rest of us...at first...)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/in...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote:
Inside the first town in America to ban gas stations
Josh Marcus 8 hrs ago
13 Comments

Walking down Washington Street, one of the main thoroughfares in the city of Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco, you could be almost anywhere in California. There are all the usual fast food chains, a smattering of Mexican restaurants, a few incongruous palm trees, and wide suburban streets.

If you zoom out from Washington Street, there’s also the fact that, like everywhere else in America, the climate crisis is rapidly changing Petaluma. The city is facing a water emergency, part of California’s fourth drought in the last 20 years. In the last seven years, its home of Sonoma County has experienced five of the 13 most destructive wildfires in state history.

Unlike most places in California, however, Petaluma has taken an unprecedented, if modest, step to combatting this reality: last March, it became the first city in the US to ban construction of new gas stations and pumps.
Old 19-01-22, 05:47
Bluebell

Good luck to them then finding the carbon neutral fire fighting gear needed for the next fire. Let me think Fire tenders = Diesel, Portable pumps = Petrol? Helicopters and Aeroplanes = Kero. Maybe they do all this stuff with electric motors now and maybe I'm just out of touch? Is there a world full of old guys who just slink back into their sheds and give a single finger wave as they close the door?

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-01-22, 05:50
Bluebell

Chris V., the difference between a conspiracy theory and the truth, is about 3 to 6 months.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-01-22, 13:44
GM Fox I

Quote:
Good luck to them then finding the carbon neutral fire fighting gear needed for the next fire. Let me think Fire tenders = Diesel, Portable pumps = Petrol? Helicopters and Aeroplanes = Kero. Maybe they do all this stuff with electric motors now and maybe I'm just out of touch? Is there a world full of old guys who just slink back into their sheds and give a single finger wave as they close the door?
I spoken with people (uninformed self-centred zealots actually) in our largest city Toronto who honestly believe the mere sight of a drop of oil is enough to poison you. And yes, absolutely, we can convert to electric cars, transport trucks, aircraft and construction equipment by tomorrow noon at the latest. In fact we must or die. Yet nothing must get in the way of their lavish supply of imported fresh fruit and lattes, all inclusive vacations to the Caribbean in the winter nor their exotically furnished and well heated condominiums.

When I say I've spoken to them is a bit of a stretch. They did all the 'spoken' to me and I risked my life countering even the smallest point with reality.
Old 19-01-22, 18:42

If i may add : A city in Kalifornia ( don’t remember the name right now ) with an airport prohibited the sale of Avgas . Yes you read right . Planes with internal combustion engines but no gas to fuel them ! You can land but don’t fuel up ……
94 LSVW