MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 19-07-07, 00:10

Default Found this today....need value?

I found this today while on a business trip. The guy says he will sell it, but says to give him an offer. Being new to this, I need the help of then experts for a value. The engine is there, but it is seized.

It is a Ford. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Old 19-07-07, 01:21
Rick Cove

Nice find, don't they look different with the windscreen sloped back. Good luck with it if you buy. Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 19-07-07, 17:54

Default Congrats and welcome on board....

Welcome to the asylum Andrew......

I take it the truck has 20 inch tires and rims..... therefore probably a F30 or F60....... not too many of those around....

Two seats.... at least one gas tank..... is the power train all complete..... is the frame badly butchered ... as in torched to shorthen or lenghtened..... spring packs...... drive shafts.... radiator..... it can always be recored if the tanks are good... spare rims......engine cover is there

start low and work you way up...... at the price of scrap steel these days it is worth about $500 less distance to travel to scrap yard......

Personaly I would start below $500 and work my way up..... don't forget you will have to move it home and that may/will cost you $$.... trailering is the best way but you will need a good size one.....

Some of us would probably go up to $1K if it was close to home. For me in Ottawa I would have to drop at least $200 for fuel to pick it up.......

Keep in mind that you will probably need another one... even if it is a Chev...... as a parts truck...... and a good set of manuals from Alex Blair......

Glad to see some else get into the hobby....... keep us posted of your progress... and good luck. Don't delay there may be some other buyers in your area........ hihihi

Bob
Canada
Old 19-07-07, 19:15
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Found this today....need value?

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Tikkanen
I found this today while on a business trip. The guy says he will sell it, but says to give him an offer. Being new to this, I need the help of the experts for a value. The engine is there, but it is seized.

It is a Ford. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Based upon how much work you have to do to restore this truck (have you seen how much just a rebuilt Flathead sells for these days?) and the current owner's obvious disinterest in the vehicle, I'd offer him no more than $200.00, and that's being way too generous. If he wants more, offer him $400.00 but tell him you want it delivered. The problem is, everybody these days thinks that just because a vehicle is WWII that it's worth a ton of money. Restored, it is. Unrestored, it's just a pile of scrap until some nut like you or I spends many 1,000s of dollars and untold, unpaid hours restoring it. Just restoring forward slope to the windscreen will be a bugger! Dan Jahn and I both tried to pry a couple of Diamond T's from a crusty old fart near Hope, B.C. He seemed to think they were worth a fortune even though they had been sitting for decades rusting away with seized engines. Dan eventually got one. He must have waited for the old boy to pass away and bought it from the widow! I was a neophyte when I bought my C15 and hence paid too much for it ($2,200) something about driving all the way to Chicago from Dallas and coming back empty-handed rubbed me the wrong way!, but at least it ran, had decent tires, brakes worked etc. etc. The cab had been modified and there was no box. I slapped a coat of DTB on it and built a stakeside box that I copied from a pic I saw of a Cab 12 in North Africa and voila! I had a passable CMP for very little. Some of the cognescenti in this forum may turn their nose up at my truck, but in the mean time I'm representing Canada's contribution to the war effort and educating a whole lot of people in this part of the world.
Further to what you should offer for your CMP, I once bought a battered, but running '42 GPW for $500, albeit pre- Saving Private Ryan.
Anyway, Andrew, this is just my opinion. I haven't accounted for the emotional aspect of wanting to restore a "found" MV. Whatever you pay for it, it will be worth it eventually for the satisfaction and enjoyment you'll derive from your "baby" Derek.

Last edited by sapper740; 19-07-07 at 19:25.
Old 19-07-07, 21:50
Film maker, CMP addict

Default It's a F60L

It has the '400' type steering box and is a late production vehicle.

At least is has both doors which don't look rusty.

If it were in Australia it would be scrap value only and you'd definitely not be acquiring it as your primary CMP for restoration, but as a parts source.

As others have mentioned prices can vary a lot and I'd agree the start very low would be the go. Depending on the owner's expectations I would think you'd get it pretty cheaply. Over here CMPs have changed hands for a few beers sometimes, but this was before the price of scrap reached the current highs.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 19-07-07, 22:01

Default What is the going price.....

Hi Keith

Scrap is now up to $165 per ton...... even more if your load is all CMP frames, cast axles, motor blocks, tranny and T case..... all have to be drained of any oil.... and the copper rad is work big bucks by itself...

Price usually goes down in the early Winter.....

...our biggest competition around here is the scrap dealers....

At farm auctions in the late 90s you used to be able to buy old farm equipment for a few dollars each...... blast and paint they sold well for rural lawn ornaments..... now the scrappies show up with highway trailers equipped with Hyab cranes and try to buy by the lot full......

Not fair!!!!!

I rescued a few CMPs from wrecking yard for $300 per rolling chassis...... included delivery!!!!

BooB

BooB
Canada
Old 19-07-07, 22:11

Default Unless I am seeing things.....

Andrew.....

It seems that the front nose piece has the words FORD CANADA stamped on both front panels....left and right..... can you verify..?

I have only seen this on a very late production Ford acb 13 imported back from Norway....... now sitting at the Kars Museum....

What is the significance.... any one???

also... on the roof...... with the Artic padding..... seems to have fewer bolts on the mid section.... does have the hatch/patch.... large window...... could the roof have been transplanted from..??

It must be remembered that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

two good doors...$$$
2 seat....$$$
at least one gas tank...... $$$$$$ if not leaking $$$$$$$$$

Chicken handle....$$$

engine cover..$$$$

Well worth a few bucks even as a parts truck...... when you see listings for individual push rods, con rods, fuel pump. carbs, all removed from an old greasy 216 going for big bucks on Ebay it makes you wonder..... you don't habe to bid and buy but...???

Boob
Canada
Old 19-07-07, 22:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default That roof....

What the HELL is that off? An 11 or 12 cab maybe? That might acount for his bending the Windshield supports backwards.

Is the truck anywhere near the Sault, Andrew? The earlier comments about shipping distance do apply. Overall, it looks like one hell of a parts truck; maybe more if we saw it up close. I concur with the others - start low and see what develops. Some of these guys think they're worth their weight in gold, but others just want it gone from their property. Only you can judge its owner, but he may (or may not) sway if he knew you intended to restore ... of course, he might decide it's worth far more if you tell him that! Play it by ear, but if you make a GOOD deal, be ready to get a truck up there PDQ to pick it up, before he changes his mind!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jif

PS: Is that a data plate I saw? If nothing else, record all available (read decipherable) info even if you don't buy it.
Old 19-07-07, 23:21

Default Roof surgery

The roof looks like it has been subject to a cut and paste job, probably nothing more exotic.
Old 20-07-07, 00:34

Thanks to all for you advice.....but since I was on business I was unable to spend alot of time with it so I was unable to grab any numbers or serials off of it.

Gas tank would leak if you put anything in it.

Frame looked like it was original size no torch job there.

It is a fair distance from the Sault....about 400 km west of Thunder Bay so picking it up poses some level of difficulty.

Andrew
Old 20-07-07, 03:29

Default Location...location...etc....

The locationmay explain why is survived the crusher.....

Take your time...... no rush.... I think it is worth saving... you will go nuts trying to get it finish..... but such is life..... you can tell your wife it will keep youout of bars.....

Keep us posted.....

Are you located in the "SEW"...?

Bob
Canada
Old 20-07-07, 04:07
Derek Heuring

Default Need Phil's take on this

It's too bad Phil Waterman's computer is currently down. He's bought two CMPs over the years, both beautifully restored. I seem to remember from a previous thread that he said he never paid more than $500.00 for one. It would be interesting to get his opinion, and a description of the condition of his trucks when purchased.
Old 20-07-07, 04:48
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Need Phil's take on this

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
It's too bad Phil Waterman's computer is currently down. He's bought two CMPs over the years, both beautifully restored. I seem to remember from a previous thread that he said he never paid more than $500.00 for one. It would be interesting to get his opinion, and a description of the condition of his trucks when purchased.

paid more than $500.00 for one

But Derek..
That is American.....which equaled $17000.00 Canadian at the time Phil bought them....It's around par now...

Old 20-07-07, 05:43
David Pope

At farm autions around here a basically complete CMP will sell for $300 to about $1000 depending on who's at the auction. Farmers know this and you won't get one for less than $300 unless there's not much left of it. When I'm valuing one I look for the hard to find stuff like push bars, tow rings, roof hatch, winch, pintle hitch, plus box, lockers, etc. I've yet to get one with a good dash since the lack of side windows lets too much weather get at them. On the other hand, farm trucks have the same dashes in good shape. When I hauled that big load home, the trip cost me about $400 so that's $100 each, but most of you won't be able to come up with a unit like that. A pickup pulling a trailer would cost almost as much on a 600 mile round trip and that's for one truck.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 22-07-07, 15:44
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Don't be too hasty now...
Bob, when was the last time you checked scrap prices??? Last I checked, down this way it was only about $58/ ton.
Personally, the most recent cmps I have stumbled across would only be worth scrap value in my eyes and I have a little experience I think.
Unfortunately, most guys out there think that the rusty pile of junk is coated in gold, little do they realize how much time and dollars go into a restoration.
As far as auctions go, the last cmp I bough went for a whopping sum of $110 Canadian. It had a nice cab and an unseized flathead...
The one I bought before it was a 11 cab Chev chassis and running drivetrain that was purchased at auction for a total of $65 because no one wanted to bother cutting it out of the shrub that had grown up around it...
Then there have been the "free" ones that took more time and trouble than they were worth.....

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-07-07, 23:35

Default Re: Need Phil's take on this

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
I'm still out there looking in from time to time on an old iMac computer new computer on the way, so I should be back to normal next week.

Now as to what I have paid for CMPs my first was my HUP BEAST acquired in 1978 trade a new OSA trials bike for it. The second CMP BEAUTY a C60S was $1600 what the guy had paid to have it shipped from France to the US bought it in 1990. The most recent Pattern 12 C60L CANADA I bought in 2002 for $1000. The two C60 3 tons were just cab and chassis when I got them.

Price is always a matter of how crazy you are at that particular moment.

Cheers
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com