MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 03-12-06, 16:46

Default Granfather Bill

Hi

I like this new section. Nice to see people honouring those in their familys that came before them.

My own contribution is my Father's Father. William Albert was exempt service as a Farmer but was drafted in November 1917 after the manpower crisis became acute. He trained in Aldershot Nova Scotia with the the 1st Depot Bn Nova Scotia Regt and at one point was with the 17th Bn CEF in the UK.

The war ended before he could be sent to the front. With three separate bouts of pneumonia on his record., that was probably a good thing.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/fil...zinck3_510.jpg

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 03-12-06 at 17:15.
Old 03-12-06, 22:48
Vets Dottir

Hi Darrell,

I love this area too. Love having a place to share the photos and stories amongst a group of people who actually really appreciate, care and care to know!

What a handsome/beautiful face your Grandfather Bill has!!! His hair is bushy with a widows peak just like my own Dad's! Do you have a widows peak too when you have hair? I have a bit of one from Dear Old Dad Joe.

Karmen.
Old 06-12-06, 01:02

Hi Karmen

Yes, he is a fine looking man isn't he? He died when I was just 12 and as a Base Brat following my Dad around the world, I regret not knowing him as well as I'd have liked to. I do recall he was a fine looking man even when quite elderly.

I do indeed have a widows peak of my own. Almosr 41 and not a lick of grey or hair loss either. Aside from going to war for our country, I guess I have other things to thank him for too!!!

regards
Darrell
Old 06-12-06, 05:09
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi Karmen

Yes, he is a fine looking man isn't he? He died when I was just 12 and as a Base Brat following my Dad around the world, I regret not knowing him as well as I'd have liked to. I do recall he was a fine looking man even when quite elderly.

I do indeed have a widows peak of my own. Almosr 41 and not a lick of grey or hair loss either. Aside from going to war for our country, I guess I have other things to thank him for too!!!

regards
Darrell
That "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is so often a wonderful genetic inheritance AND a great compliment! Congratulations

Karmen
Old 06-12-06, 17:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
That "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is so often a wonderful genetic inheritance AND a great compliment! Congratulations

Karmen
HeeeHeee!! Tell that to my BALD younger Brother!!!

regards
Darrell
Old 06-12-06, 19:49
Vets Dottir

Quote:
HeeeHeee!! Tell that to my BALD younger Brother!!!

regards
Darrell
And here I was thinking that YOU were the bald one I met in Ottawa

Karmen
Old 06-12-06, 19:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

That was the Tanknet Zipperhead. They probably know each other, though...
Old 06-12-06, 20:00
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
That was the Tanknet Zipperhead. They probably know each other, though...
Oops ... memory slowly returns here. Tanknetters Zipperhead's name starts with an "M" ... NOW i remember : ... argh ...

So sorry for confusing you with someone else Darrell. The other guy is nice like you too though. I hope that makes my sin forgivable

Karmen
Old 07-12-06, 00:34

Hi Karmen

Hardly a sin.

Maybe it's a kind of "Karmen Karma"!!! You see, I have been asked by a couple of friends (inter-net type) to join tanknet for about 2 years now. However I already belong to 3 different Forums and find that a challenge enough.

I was indeed at the CWM opening last year but was in uniform and with my Coyote and crew in front of the Museum itself. Youse guys were all at Tunney's, I think.

I do not know the Tanknet "Zipperhead" as far as I know.............what's his name?

Back to my Grandad; I have a couple more pics/postcards of him in the UK but cannot find where I put them!!

I'll keep looking
Old 07-12-06, 00:41
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Hi Karmen

Hardly a sin.

Maybe it's a kind of "Karmen Karma"!!! You see, I have been asked by a couple of friends (inter-net type) to join tanknet for about 2 years now. However I already belong to 3 different Forums and find that a challenge enough.

I was indeed at the CWM opening last year but was in uniform and with my Coyote and crew in front of the Museum itself. Youse guys were all at Tunney's, I think.

I do not know the Tanknet "Zipperhead" as far as I know.............what's his name?

Back to my Grandad; I have a couple more pics/postcards of him in the UK but cannot find where I put them!!

I'll keep looking
I was in Ottawa with Geoff and some awesome WW2 Vets and a wonderful CWAC, riding in Stewart Loy's carrier, and rode the whole parade right to the museum, so maybe I spotted you there too We also walked around the area where the tanks were parked on display and people were mingling. What an amazing turnout that was!

The place we went to later had a Scottish name or something ... or Irish? Murphy's??? I really can't remember, but maybe Geoff does.

Check your PM's ...

Karmen's Karma
Old 07-12-06, 01:28

Darrell,

If it helps, I and another Canadian officer (RCAC) run Tanknet these days. The chappie Karmen has PM'd you about is a personal friend who just made WO, and a damned good guy, also on Tanknet Staff. He's also a recent member here, although hasn't posted.

We Canuckistanis are taking over the world...

Quote:
Hi Karmen

Hardly a sin.

I'll keep looking
Old 07-12-06, 02:28

Hi Geoff

As it turns out, that particular Zipperhead and I go waaaaayyy back too.

Let`s say we both learned to `Warrant` on the same course. See attachment.

Go ahead, ask him about the ``ballroom blitz`` method of communication in the tactical role.

A good chap to have around, to be sure.

regards
Darrell
Attached Images

Old 07-12-06, 03:29

Damn, ain't this a small world?

See your PMs...
Old 23-12-06, 01:42

Hi

Found another pic of Pte William Albert Zinck.

He's wearing a 1st Depot Bn NS Regt Cap and collars so this must be his "Hero Shot" before going on to the 17th Bn.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
waz.jpg