MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 26-10-11, 09:43
Derek Heuring

Default The Cooper Rifle and a little Canadian history

One of the most treasured possessions of the William's Clan (my mother's family) is the "Cooper Rifle" which once belonged to James Fennemore Cooper, the author. Before my grandfather, Merton Yarwood Williams passed away, he wrote the family history and had three hard-bound copies made for each of his children, my mother, my uncle, and my aunt. I'm fortunate to have been beqeathed my aunt's copy to be able to read first hand accounts of my family settling in Prince Edward County, near Kingston, Ontario. My family arrived in Ontario in 1778 after being chased off their land in Schuylerville near Saratoga, N.Y. by "Rebels" after the defeat of Burgoyne at Saratoga that year. But I digress, back to the rifle. here, in my Grandfather's own words is the story of the "Cooper rifle":

"The Cooper rifle was said by the family to have been brought to Prince Edward County by the Pioneer, Obadiah Cooper, from Rochester, New York. He used it in battles in the Niagara Peninsula in the War of 1812, including Queenston Heights. Obadiah was a relative of Fennemore Cooper, of Cooperstown, N.Y., and his rifle became famous, as did "la longue carabine" in "The Last of the Mohicans", Fennemore Cooper's famous novel.
The rifle descended to Obadiah Cooper Jr. who was a gunsmith and converted it to a cap gun, the lock being marked "E. Gilbert Patent Rochester". The hammer in this lock swings out to the right and strikes the cap placed on the nipple, which is screwed into the touch-hole of the Flint-lock assemblage. The lock, trigger-guard, butt-plate, and barrel mountings are beautifully engraved in floral and scroll work. The stock is of walnut root with checkered grips, expanded face rest and white metal star insets. The heavy semi-octagonal barrel is also marked "E. Gilbert, but the fine sight, with seven elevations, is marked "O.C." Back of the barrel, a socket provides for the placing of a small peep-site. The bore including the grooves, which number seven, is a 0.5 inch, and the barrel, externally averages about 1 inch in diameter. The bore narrows from the muzzle for a few inches down, below which it remains constant. the rifle weighs about 8 pounds.
This beautiful and perfectly preserved historic gun with bullet mould and powder flask, was a special attraction at Picton Fall Fairs until purchased by my brother John for the writer in 1941 from Tom Cooper, a great-great grandson of Obadiah the pioneer.

Although I was never allowed to fire this fine rifle, I did get to hold it many times over the years. It now resides in Edmonton, Alberta with my Uncle's family.

Next installment, the Cooper rifle and the "killing of the last bear in Prince Edward County!"

Cheemo!

Derek Heuring
Old 27-10-11, 02:42

Thanks Derek for the interesting story. I can't wait for the next instalment.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 27-10-11, 07:05
Derek Heuring

Default The Cooper Rifle, Part Two

From my Grandfather's book:

"Probably in the Spring of 1842, a minor event made a record in local history. Big game had disappeared from Prince Edward County before the persistent attacks of the pioneers, armed with their old Army flint-locks and later acquired guns. Boundary waters deterred new arrivals of the larger animals.
And now a bear was sighted in Mastin's swamp, on the West Lake road, near a saw mill about a mile from the William's farm. Men and boys appeared, armed with smooth bores and shot guns, but bruin led a charmed life! Then Obadiah Cooper arrived with his famous rifle and advanced quietly toward the bear! Taking careful aim, he fired and bruin fell dead, with a 50 calibre bullet in his brain!
'You couldn't do that again Obe,' said a neighbour. While the bear was being placed with it's head resting on it's paws, Obe loaded the rifle. A measured charge of powder from a flask was poured down the barrel, a lead ball placed on a greased cotton "patch" was driven down onto the powder with the ram-rod, rotating as it followed the rifling, a pinch of powder was placed in the pan under the flint, and all was ready. Placing a new dime over the bullet hole in the bear's head Obe stepped back some fifty paces, sighted the rifle and fired. the dime was driven into the bear's brain!
This is the story as told to me by Uncle Stanley Williams, the general account was well known as 'the killing of the last bear in the county.' "

From time to time I'll post further stories from the book relating interesting stories from the early history of Prince Edward County. Thanks to all for reading these posts, I'm very proud of my heritage and the part, albeit small, my family played in turning Canada from a "howling wilderness" to the modern country it is today.

Cheemo!

Derek Heuring
Old 13-11-11, 19:40
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Derek I was down in PE county last week visiting. Where are you? next time we should meet for a chat.
Old 22-11-11, 04:49
Derek Heuring

Default Currently residing in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post
Derek I was down in PE county last week visiting. Where are you? next time we should meet for a chat.
Marc, my door is always open to fellow MLUers, so long as they don't mind the long drive (or flight) to texas.

Derek

CHEEMO!
Old 22-11-11, 14:39
RIP

Damn! I was in Houston just a couple of weeks ago. Is that anywhere near you?

Clive
Old 22-11-11, 19:38
Derek Heuring

Default A bit of a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Damn! I was in Houston just a couple of weeks ago. Is that anywhere near you?

Clive
I live 1/2 hr. north of Dallas so you're looking at about a 4 1/2 hr. drive, one way. Houston is near the Gulf Coast while Dallas is about an hour from the Texas/Oklahoma border. Southwest Airlines which is based out of Love Field in Dallas has been offering seats for $59.00, one way,
which is a smokin' hot deal.

CHEEMO!

Derek.
Old 22-11-11, 19:51
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
I live 1/2 hr. north of Dallas so you're looking at about a 4 1/2 hr. drive, one way. Houston is near the Gulf Coast while Dallas is about an hour from the Texas/Oklahoma border. Southwest Airlines which is based out of Love Field in Dallas has been offering seats for $59.00, one way,
which is a smokin' hot deal.

CHEEMO!

Derek.
The problem with Texas is that it is almost as big as Ontario.