MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-14, 22:25
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Regarding Capt. Boot's car, it appears to be a 1941 Canadian/Australian Dodge.
These were essentially badge engineered Plymouth vehicles with Dodge grille etc.
Hello Bill, thanks for the ID, I knew I could count on you

Happy New Year to you too!

Hanno
Old 04-01-14, 11:46
Dog Robber

Thanks Hanno:

It was helpful that I was doing a bit of research for Clive's book this week, concentrating on civilian and MCP vehicles and just happened to be looking at this type of vehicle.

If one can just get deeply into various countries national/military photo archives, we would be amazed to find a bewildering variety of such vehicles in service just before and at the beginning of the war that were never really cataloged as "military" vehicles as we know them. I seem to find a few every week.

Have a great 2014.

Bill
Old 08-01-14, 10:12
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hanno, excuse my ignorance, but would the RNEIA (Royal Netherlands East Indian Army) be a link to these vehicles?

Just a thought, I wonder if there are post war photos of Dutch vehicles painted blue, particularly RNEIA vehicles. The reason I ask is that upon looking at disposed of/surplussed vehicles in the Army Registration Number books held by the Australian War Memorial, there are a fare few (I've seen jeeps, can't say I've seen dodge 3/4 tons) vehicles which have been transferred to the RNEIA post war from Aust army stocks. These vehicles had to be surplused and end up somewhere!

I wonder if this is where this dodge came from? There seem to be more numbers in front of the RN or on a different layer of paint (OD) I wonder if this could have been an ARN number? How it got back here in Australia, I don't know, but being in Far west Qld when found, it could have easily made its way back from the pacific in the last 62 years before it was posted on here!

What do you think?

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net

Last edited by Ian Fawbert; 08-01-14 at 10:13. Reason: Location of vehicle found was wrong!
Old 14-02-16, 10:35
MLU Administrator

Found a picture of a Dodge WC-51 in use with the 18th Squadron NEI-AF on the U.S. Militaria Forum

Click image for larger version

Name:	V2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	79741
Old 14-02-16, 13:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fawbert View Post
Hanno, excuse my ignorance, but would the RNEIA (Royal Netherlands East Indian Army) be a link to these vehicles?

Just a thought, I wonder if there are post war photos of Dutch vehicles painted blue, particularly RNEIA vehicles. The reason I ask is that upon looking at disposed of/surplussed vehicles in the Army Registration Number books held by the Australian War Memorial, there are a fare few (I've seen jeeps, can't say I've seen dodge 3/4 tons) vehicles which have been transferred to the RNEIA post war from Aust army stocks. These vehicles had to be surplused and end up somewhere!

I wonder if this is where this dodge came from? There seem to be more numbers in front of the RN or on a different layer of paint (OD) I wonder if this could have been an ARN number? How it got back here in Australia, I don't know, but being in Far west Qld when found, it could have easily made its way back from the pacific in the last 62 years before it was posted on here!

What do you think?
Ian, interesting thought.

18 (NEI) was the first NEI-AF Squadron. It was formed as an RAAF Squadron at Fairbairn airfield in Canberra on 4 April 1942 from the two groups of Dutch airmen at Archerfield and Melbourne. They flew B-25 Mitchells. The Squadron's Dutch personnel (and a few Javanese) were complemented by a number RAAF personnel covering both aircrew and ground crew occupations. On 6 July 1942, 18 Squadron was officially disbanded as an RAAF Squadron and became part of the Netherlands East Indies Air Force, but still under RAAF command.
As far as I can tell, the aircraft were supplied through the USAAF, but the vehicles (ground equipment) must have been supplied through the RAAF as this was a RAAF Squadron. The RAAF were supplied by the US with aircraft and ground equipment, hence the US vehicles like the Dodge WC-51 normally not seen in Australian Army service.

After WW2 when the Netherlands Government tried to suppress the Indonesian independence, a lot of equipment was needed to rebuild the Netherlands East-Indies Army. Much of this was supplied by British-Indian units which occupied Indonesia before the Netherlands Government could muster enough troops. The Dutch troops took over the equipment from the British, and were further supplied from ex-Canadian Army stocks in the Netherlands. You mention transfer from Australian stocks as well. In turn, the Dutch troops handed over most of their equipment to the Indonesian Army when leaving in 1949.

So I cannot think of a logical reason of why Netherlands East-Indies Army vehicles would have been brought back to Australia after serving in Indonesia. In the early years after WW2, Australia must have still been swamped in surplus materiel, so there would not have been a need (let alone the possibility) to import from a country which was building up its armed forces after a war of independence.

All I can reason is that this Dodge WC-51 is ex-18 (NEI) Squadron, which was handed back to the RAAF after the unit disbanded. It was then redeployed to another RAAF unit and/or eventually surplussed. It may have found its way from the Darwin area to West Queensland either during RAAF service or after being surplussed.

If there is anyone who can throw more light on this, please speak up!

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 05-06-16, 13:16
MLU Administrator

Pictures of Australian Army and/or RAAF Dodges are few and far between, but this thread has some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Here is two AWM photos of Australian WC Dodges. The first a weapons carrier captioned 'Australian Chemical Warfare Research and Experimental Section, 1944'

Old 05-06-16, 13:38
MLU Administrator

One more Dodge Weapon Carrier in RAAF use:

Name:	13064566_1074075749315247_85331348120614287_o.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	82613
From left to right: F/Os P.R. Jobson (Bentleigh), N.A. Olds (N.S.W.), W. Addison (Q'ld.), F/Lt. P.A. Nott (Q'ld.) F/Lt. G.T. McGrath (S.A.)

Source
Old 06-05-18, 12:13
MLU Administrator

A couple of Dodge Weapon Carriers in use with the Dutch Army, 1946-1949.

Both are marked with a Dutch flag on the hood as on the subject vehicle. The numbers differ, they seem to have the format of Indian Army vehicles. This makes sense as the Dutch Army took over many vehicles and equipment from the British and Indian troops who occupied Indonesia in 1945 after the Japanese surrender.

Name:	2C635B4C-FC06-4F2D-9609-589F17F6559D.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	99755 Click image for larger version

Name:	B3ADF45A-EB3B-47CA-9228-6939F096A7E1.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	99756
Old 20-01-19, 12:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Dutch B-25 pilot Northern Australia
Yesterday, during the farewell event of the Stichting Exploitatie Catalina (see https://catalina-pby.nl/en/ - they have sold their Catalina PH-PBY to the USA), I found a print of this photo in their clear-out sale. On the back it is marked AWM negative no. 44613, which turned out to be wrong when I looked it up at AWM website.

Anyway, it's a great picture - but wouldn't it be even better if we could place a name and a date to go with it?

And what is he driving? GMC CCKW, Chevrolet G503, or another type of Chevrolet?

Name:	AWM negative 044613.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	104950
Old 20-01-19, 19:34

Hi Hanno,
Your version is cropped, I'm afraid.
However, thankfully the picture was posted here earlier (see p.1 post #14) in full size (I guess).
Apparently the truck is CCKW:

Cheers!

Last edited by Ilian Filipov; 21-01-19 at 10:20.
Old 24-07-20, 06:56
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Official vehicle line up during parade, probably on 15 September 1942 at RAAF Canberra (source: www.sobatsbollenstreek.nl) captioned "Dutch Auto Company" and "Car Comp".

Second picture shows (some of) the vehicles have registrations starting with "NEI", e.g. "NEI-39", "NEI-40", "NEI-41".
Rare pic of the unique 1941 sedan based Ford military utes, seen behind those aircraft tugs . Apparently these were made by cutting down sedan bodies , the cab has a strange flat rear section. A friend of mine has three of these utes, or remains of I should say. Its been a nightmare long term job for him . Ford also did these with 42 front grill . Bill Deihm ? in Brisbane had one too . A 42 example came up for sale down near Geelong a few years back, in a clearing sale. The RAAF used a few as I've seen pics of at least one in that role.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 24-07-20 at 07:04.
Old 24-07-20, 13:25
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pic

Pic of a 42 model survivor .
Attached Images

1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad