MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-09, 18:48

Hanno, my understanding of Bridge class was 2 for a Jeep, 3 for a trailer, so combined weight equal to bridge rating 5, which is what Canada opted for as Jeep and trailer combination. Britain normally went for 2 for Jeep alone and 3 over 2 for Jeep and trailer.
Old 17-06-09, 04:17

I have a
1943 GPW
DOD 3-30-43
ser. # 105568
"hood number" of 20369126 (I ran the serial number & DOD number through the web site www.g503.com & it gave me this "hood number")

Now heres the "Rest of the story"

Grandfather bought it in 1968 from a guy who said he found it in a vehicle dump in the Yukon. Year of find I don't know.

My dad got it in 1973 & ground off all coats of paint so don't know if CDN or US marked hood.

Dash plates are US.

I got it in 1983 & as a dummy, pulled the original engine & steering & replaced them with a Chev Saginaw steering box, Pinto 2.0L engine, T-90 trans.

I have the original trans/trans case & most major original components.

Don't know if it was a US issue for the Hwy, or a CDN issue for the Hwy?
Or the guy my grandfather bought it from has FOS!

Any ideas?

Thansk Kevin
Old 13-12-14, 09:45
MLU Administrator

Canadian contract Jeep with Bren gun, most likely a publicity shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canadian Contract Jeep with Bren.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	69791
Old 14-12-14, 18:31

Default My understanding of Contracts 241-242

Reade with interest various comments on early contracts.

I have an early slat supplied under CDLV-242 and it is my understanding that the first 4 contracts had Canadian specification changes/additions all others after that were as supplied off the assembly line.

As already stated CDLV 241 was for 500 vehicles (home service) and CDLV 242 for 1500 vehicles destined for overseas service. Production of both contracts ran simultaneously within the chassis serials already mentioned all being produced within February 1942; hence all iron bar stock slat grill. Mine was manufactured on 13th.February 1942 with chassis number 119696. All vehicles within these two contracts had the rounded tank well. All had the standard early Willys parts such as pancake air filter, extended oil filler tube, longer breather, brass/bronze windscreen catches, no provision for carbine holder, green steering wheel, speedo face, 'gas' gauge, although most appear to have the 50/50 Oil pressure gauge. Brass choke/throttle cable heads, rounded/square clutch /brake pedals, axles, gearbox/transfer box, half shaft end castings, no Jerry can holder.

Canadian spec items included a single electric wiper on the drivers side, standard manual type on passenger side, towing rings both front and rear. There are also two additional dash switches with a plate stipulating 'Axle' & 'Brake' operating a convoy light on the back axle and isolating the brake lights. As the convoy light and switches are the standard Canadian toggle switches and convoy light these were either supplied to be fitted of as is my understanding a retro fit after.

Have attached some pics and will post also some war time images.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Dash Plate.jpg   Engine 2.jpg   Interior.jpg   IMG_3588 - Copy.jpg   IMG_3585 - Copy.jpg  

Old 14-12-14, 18:42

Default My understanding of Contracts 241-242

Photo of Dash plate shown on the previous posting. Previous photo shows how I first saw it as the owner had painted over the original brass plate and then removed the paint from the raised text and data info. On further light rubbing of the paint the '242' became visible. I thought at first it was a unique CDLV blank plate!

Also attach two photos of slat grills, which I now realise have been previously posted,and one of what I believe to be a 505 contract jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Contract Plate.jpg   slat 1.jpg   slat 2.jpg   jeepe002344119-v6[1].jpg  

Last edited by Ian McCallum; 15-12-14 at 10:41. Reason: spelling
Old 18-12-14, 16:41

Hello Kevin

I looked up on my data base.
Your GPW 105568 cannot be determined if it was a CDN or US vehicle.

There is no question it would have been in US service at one point.

If your GPW had been a CDN used vehicle it would have its markings on the side of the tub, or the side of hood. It would also have some markings on the windshield and rear bumperettes. If so it would have been in a batch of reconditioned vehicles Canada bought. So would have had the US hood number painted over.

Hello Iain
you have a very nice Canadian contract MB 119696. It looks complete and does not have the later upgrades to it. I.e the fender light, fuel container etc. Are the markings on it original?
Did you buy it restored or did you do it yourself?

I have 119694 being used in Canada during the war in Toronto.

I am still working on the much in depth CDN WW2 Jeep book. Just assisted Lloyd White with some CDN chapters on his Willy's MB series. His series actually helps me as now there is no need to duplicate the non CDN manuals and data.

Thanks

Eric
Old 18-12-14, 21:51

Default Numbers so close!

Hi Eric,

Interesting yours is only two serials out from mine, out of interest does it still have original data plates and does it show CDLV 241 0R 242? If 241 it shows both contracts were produced in parallel.

Cannot take the glory for its restoration although have known it for years. I originally rejected it because it was not a real jeep having a slat grill! Not so wise then! It was restored by Geordie Dey, starting about10 years ago, who is in Scotland and already had a 242 contract jeep I believe manufactured on 18.2.42.

It was originally owned by an estate but was totally unmolested although they did cut the rear panel into a tailgate and a floor section had to be replaced other than that 95% original. Blackout guards are repro's the rest original parts.

Hood number and markings not original to the vehicle and none were found although serials are in the right sequence.

Ian
Old 22-12-14, 17:48

Default serial number

Hello Ian

Sorry it sounded like i owned that Jeep. I wish i did.

In my data base i have that jeep on file, which is the closest serial number i have to yours.

There was no 241 data plates produced, they all had the 242 data plate.

Thanks

Eric
Old 17-08-15, 10:09
MLU Administrator

At least one Canadian contract Jeep among the "800 military Jeeps await auction at a storage facility in England" in 1946 - see the lifting rings on CM 4218939 in the lower left corner.

And note the Cab 11/12 CMPs in the background.

Name:	surplus-12.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	75696

Source: http://mashable.com/2015/08/15/wwii-surplus-vehicles/
Old 17-08-15, 17:56

Default waiting for sale

Hello

According to my list of vehicles.

The two clearly marked Jeep CM numbers are:

CM4284888 I have as a Ford GPW (possibly 1945)
and CM4218939 was a MB (possibly 1942 CDN Contract) loaned to the British.

I say possible as it is not confirmed but is surrounded on each side by like vehicles.

When vehicles were loaned they kept the CM number, but if the vehicle was given then the C was removed (or added if given to Canada).

We traded back and forth as needed.

Some Canadian contract vehicles never served in a Canadian unit as a result.

Thanks

Eric
Old 19-12-15, 14:55

Default Cdlv505 mb

I know this discussion thread has been quiet for a while but I am curious if anybody has a CDLV 505 Contract Willys near Serial no 155562.

Engine Serial # 160432
Body Serial # 59401
DOD 7/7/42
Brass Data Plates

I have no hood number.
Does anybody know if the hood numbers were prefixed with CM?

Also These Willys supposedly had a tool box mounted on the front and lifting rings.

Jason
Old 19-12-15, 22:03

Default My 505

Jason
My 505 is #170425 so not especially close! Date would have been, we estimate, 28 Aug 42 but that dataplate missing. Body serial is 71862. Mine has holes in rear frame for tie down rings (not intended for lifting or towing I believe). Mine also has remains of the clips on the windshield frame for the original wiring for the electric wiper - also a hole in the driver side cowl for same..

Several years ago I corresponded with Colin McGregor Stevens in BC - he had 155796.

Kingston
Old 19-12-15, 22:10

Default Re CM number

Jason

Me again! Your jeep almost certainly did not go overseas unless it was bought back recently from Norway, UK or similar. Those staying in Canada never had the Brit-style census numbers. Rather it would originally have had 42-xxx (or 42-1-xxx if RCASC) in small numerals probably on the body side not the hood and then in 1943 this would have been changed to xx-xxx in much larger numerals depending on where it was located, the first xx NOT being the year.
Hope this makes sense!

If it was RCN as mine was or RCAF then the numbers are a whole different story!

David
Old 22-12-15, 16:19

Default Canadian contract jeeps

All.
After 30 years of restoration and collecting artefacts related to the CDLV 242, I could indicate that I do not own any certitude. This was war, everything was in a hurry. Period pictures, national archives do indicate inconsistencies.

In addition to the similitudes to the USMC MB`s, listed on the parts manual. This is noted, the frame does have the holes in the front arms (mostlikely the 242 were built consecutively after the USMC`s). Holes to receive the front hooks but left empty.

This is amaizing to locate some 242 survivers in Europe but more luckily to locate severals in Canada. Some for an unknowned reasons came back and were sold to civilaians as crown asset. I do base this statement after analised some fine exemples. Brian Cox, Mc Mullin family and my 118768. All of them have remains of oversea modification. Obviously, the holes on the dash, left side to receive the axle-stop light switches and data plate. Hole in the lower section of the frame rear cross member (right side) to accomodate the rear axle lamp.

This is to note, McMullins family do own wat I consider to be the oldest CDLV 242....just few didgit before mine. Is someone could validate an older one?

Another point of interest is the original census number that resurfaced on 118768 rear panel...unit has been identified CM 4231089 in large letters/numbers. This is also obvious, another row of numbers were applied but not clear enough for conclusion. So unit has been identified twice.

Several census number sequences noted on archives, CM116xxx, CM423xxx, CM55xxxx
Old 09-01-16, 18:23

Marc,

I have heard of people finding information on vehicles (ie service records) in the Canadian Archive. I have had no luck finding such info.. Can you give me suggestions where to look.

thanks.

Jason
Old 09-01-16, 21:14

Default Canadian contract jeeps

I have two Parts list manuals that CG Marshall Chief of staff issued to Major General E S Adams , when they built the Alaska Hi-way. for the MA and MB Jeeps .They are for the contract # W-398 -QM-11423 and W-398-QM-8888 .The registration numbers they list are for Willys and Ford .Would these numbers be of use to this subject ?
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 12-01-16, 22:45
Marco Hogenkamp

Default In the background...

Another Canadian contract Jeep.
B-squadron XII Manitoba Dragoons.
This photo was made in the UK, exact date unknown to me.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
VCS Pic6-c.jpg  
Old 13-04-16, 21:17

Default Cdlv 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Macgregor Stevens View Post
Chris Vickery wrote:
Canadian contract W-LU 440-M-PERS-1 CDLV 505 last batch of jeeps (technically although they are part of the MB serial number sequence and have the MB chassis according to the dash data plate, they are not MBs but rather are a sub-variant) made between Aug 31 to Sept 2 1942 were approx SN MB 170383 - 171286 (based upon known surviving examples +/or data plates recorded in my data base which has 1,539 WWII jeeps plus many post-war Canadian jeeps, trailers, Ferrets etc.
I did recently stumble across two sets of data plates.

Both CDLV 505 plates on brass stamped
Chassis 170319
Engine 176690
8-31-42

Chassis 170812
Engine Blurred in picture
8-31-42

They are in a private collection.

Cambridge, Ontario
1942 Willys MB
CDLV 505
Old 04-09-17, 09:31

Default 505 Jeep

Hey guy/gals

I first want to say thanks for all the information you guys have recorded here for the 505's.

I got good new I have found one of our lost CDLV 505 Jeeps. PO though it was a 46 and was planing to use it for parts for a CJ-3A. DOB 7-1-42. She is in extremely rough shape. Still trying to figure her out. Been luck and have found a correct T-84/Dana 18, combat rims and frame for her.

But I do find we lack of newer picture of current 505's. Been trying to find what the dash should look like, and I would love to see everyone's projects.
Attached Thumbnails
20150418_093724.jpg  
Old 26-11-17, 17:55

Default Another Cdn Slat found

Evening all, to resurrect this thread; i acquired Canadian Slat serial 118916. with a Complete restore able body. Unfortunately some where along the line the engine was swapped with a Chevy 350 and the frame hacked up.

Since I have gotten it, I have found a Canadian Slat Engine 200 serial numbers off with a REME tag from 52; I have the correct head/ oil pan and found the right transfer case and transmission casting. I am hoping to have this restored over the next 2 years. The frame was gone; but i have a line on a Canadian slat frame, (premium price ) It will live again,

This thread has been great for photos; If anyone knows of or has a correct wiper motor or other slat parts they are will to part with please message me. i have lots of MB and M38 parts and a F marked head to trade.

kind regards,
Gavin
Old 04-08-20, 00:51

Hi Slat grille enthusiasts,

A friend of mine has found a slat grille near my town in Quebec. He found a CDLV 242 contract and the SN is 120446. The body number stamped on the gusset is 22244. He's very excited of this gem despite the bad shape of this jeep. Here is the first two pictures of the data plate and the general view of this Slat.
Attached Images

Last edited by M38CDNBill; 04-08-20 at 01:32.
Old 04-08-20, 21:35

Default Possibly used overseas

Interesting

Very close SN to some used overseas.

SN 120452 had WD 1185623 and was found in the UK.

A look at the dash will confirm if it had the convoy/Brake light switch added.

Nice find.
Eric
Old 04-08-20, 23:22
Brian Asbury

Default Engine serial number

Sorting my engines and found this MB block: MB161122. I suspect it was from a CDLV 505 contract. Does that make sense?
Old 05-08-20, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
... Very close SN to some used overseas. SN 120452 had WD 1185623 and was found in the UK. A look at the dash will confirm if it had the convoy/Brake light switch added...
Hi Eric, here is a picture of the dash of this slat. I asked Luc to take a look under the rear frame to find some evidence of a convoy lamp. To teach and help him, do you have a vintage or current picture of this lamp and the place where it was placed?
Attached Thumbnails
SG 03.jpg  

Last edited by M38CDNBill; 05-08-20 at 01:57.
Old 05-08-20, 11:04

Hello,

This photo shows the rear convoy lamp in red.
I don't know what is circled in green.

Name:	3JKeBmR.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	115882
https://i.imgur.com/3JKeBmR.jpg

Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Patrice.
Old 05-08-20, 13:04

Thanks Patrice
Old 13-08-20, 20:04

Default engine and light switches

Hello Brian

Yes your engine would be in the range of those used in the 505 Contract.

The underside photo is of a British Airborne Jeep. The light is not the CDN style and the other items circles is the airborne trailer plug.

I have attached photos of a dash which had the switches added when assembled overseas. I have also attached the 2 styles of convoy lights used.

It does not look like the dash had the switches installed.

Thanks
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_03296 y.jpg   IMG_0527_1.JPG   DSCN2124.JPG  
Old 26-08-20, 05:35

These figures from the Standardized Wartime Jeep are very incorrect.

The Canadian Contract CDLV-241, 242 and 505 jeeps never had USA Registration Numbers.

CDLV-505 W-LU 440-M-PERS-1 Car 5-Cwt. (note that they are NOT Willys MB) serial numbers range from MB155xxx at the beginning of July 1942
Earliest CDLV-505 that I have in my database is MB155636, original engine 160741 Delivered 7-2-42. I used to own MB155796 among others. These earlier examples had the raised WILLYS name on the rear, no Jerrican carrier and no Black Out Drive Light on the fender.

The latest CDLV-505 number I have in the database is MB171286, original engine was 174711 Delivered 9-2-42. The late-August-early September production did not have the WILLYS name on the rear, but had the Jerrican carrier and BODL on the fender.

Here is a sample CDLV-505 one delivered August 31, 1942.
MB170840 Original engine SN 177655
MB170842 had body tub SN 73036. A simple way in 1942 to see it the body tub is likely correct, is to add 100,000 to the tub number. They did not use the body tubs in sequence, e.g. MB170662 had tub 72725. but it gives you a rough idea.

Note that delivery dates were not always synchronized with the vehicle serial number (VIN). Some vehicles appear to have been sent backs down the line at the factory for remedial work, and then accepted a few days later.

The vehicles that remained in Canada were assigned Department of National Defence Numbers. The early pattern DND number was like 42-1-1234. Beginning about January 1943 they were all changed and became like MB155796's number, which was 61.261. She served with Divisional Signals of 7th Canadian Division, most likely at Debert, N.S., in 1943. Sadly this jeep is likely in the Los Angeles area and almost certainly has replica U.S. pattern data plates now.

For the vehicles that were sent overseas with the Canadian Army, they were assigned numbers from the batches assigned to the Canadian Army from the British War Department Census List. RCAF vehiles were assigned numbers from the RAF list.

Suggestion - rather than using an actually assigned WD number, seen in a photo for example, I suggest using a real, but unassigned WD number from the largest Canadian batch. This largest batch assigned to Canada was 2,000,000 to 2,999.999. It covered ALL types of soft-skin vehicles. If you create a number CM429xxxx to CM428xxxx (each x is a number) then it looks right, but should not be confused with an actual number used. This is already happening as collectors and museums have been restoring jeeps since at least the 1970s and 50 year old markings put on by them are sometimes mistaken for 75 year old wartime markings.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim sikkelbein View Post

the standerdised wartime jeep 1941-45
by john farley

Canadian contract CDLV 505
chassis numbers:165243 to 170812
registration numbers:20220905 to 20226474
W.D. numbers:20220917 to 20237883

Wim

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 26-08-20, 05:51

Default DND numbering systems in WWII

David Moore

Unfortunately you have the DND number information incorrect. I found actual wartime explanation in a manual. Summarized here:

42-1-1234 = 1942 vehicle accepted into Canadian Army, ; -1- = meant that it was NOT an R.C.A.S.C. vehicle ; 1,234th vehicle taken on strength that year, excluding motorcycles and excluding R.C.A.S.C. vehicles.

42-1352 would be the 1,532nd vehicle accepted into the R.C.A.S.C. that year.

About January 1943 the DND number system changed. Pre-existing vehicles were renumbered by units and were NOT sequential. R.C.A.S.C. were no longer separately numbered. Motorcycles started at 2,000 e.g. 2-123 and other army vehicles at 50,000 range e.g. 61-261. R.C.A.F. had 20,000 and 30,000 number ranges.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by david moore View Post
Jason

Me again! Your jeep almost certainly did not go overseas unless it was bought back recently from Norway, UK or similar. Those staying in Canada never had the Brit-style census numbers. Rather it would originally have had 42-xxx (or 42-1-xxx if RCASC) in small numerals probably on the body side not the hood and then in 1943 this would have been changed to xx-xxx in much larger numerals depending on where it was located, the first xx NOT being the year.
Hope this makes sense!

If it was RCN as mine was or RCAF then the numbers are a whole different story!

David

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 29-08-20, 23:04

Hi gang,

My friend started stripping the paint from his slat grill jeep. I asked him to go very slowly to discover the markings and the first observation is that maybe there is a coat of RCAF blue paint over the OD one. Here is a picture where we see a very partial marking on the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side.
Attached Images