MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-02-10, 01:58
Rene

Default Pu-5008/u Iron Horse generator unit, Johnson Engine

I have a Johnson Iron Horse generator unit that I am trying to restore and make it run. The engine is an iron Horse 400 series. The rings are wore out and I would like to aquire a new set. I would also like change the oil seal on the chrank shaft. Is anyone would know where I could find some of these parts.

I would also like to find some book material for this unit. I got one book from the Royal signal but I am limited to only one book as I am not one of their members.

I bought on Ebay an original book for the CHI-395 model called "General instruction book, repair part list, Jonhson Chore Horse, model CHI-395. This unit is pretty well like mine but would like to find the book for this unit.

Any Help will be appreciate.

Thanks,
Old 25-02-10, 20:00

Default Where are you located

Hi

May get more constructive help if you can give us a general location where you live.

Parts source here in the states may not help much if you are in Australia or visa versa

Cheers

Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 25-02-10, 22:35
Brian Asbury

Default Pu/5008/u

I have reproductions of the manual specifically for the PU/5008/U; it covers operation, repair, basic parts and tool list. $12 plus postage. Also I stock most tune-up parts, mufflers & exhaust pipes, many of the tools and the toolboxes. PM me for details.
I have never seen any army surplus oil seals or rings. Usually these can be sourced commercially.
..... Brian Asbury
Old 26-02-10, 02:00
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default horse bits

Rings should be easy to find ..as Brian said .. oil seal will be easy as well.. go to any bearing / seal retailer with the dimensions ..measure the seal journal and outside diamter ..easy

Mike

I have some NOS valves .. and other bits . Drews here in Melbourne had a ton of NOS parts for them.. years ago . I got a NOS crankshaft and other stuff there.. should have got the whole lot....he would have sold it very cheap .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-02-10, 02:04
Rene

Default PU-5008-u

Thanks, I updated my profile to include my location,

I did pretty well what you are suggesting me. The oil seal on this engine is not standard. The inside diameter hole is 7/8" and the outside is 1" and 1/16" which only leaves 3/32" space between the shaft and the outer cage for the seal. This seal is all rubber (or rubber like material) with no metal into it. It is like a square o-ring with an inside lip. It is hold in place with a metal snap ring.

As for the rings their profile is rectangular. These rings have 5 sides (4 sides that are 90 degrees to each other and the fift one that cuts one of the inside corner). The bottom of piston groove where the rings sit are not at 90 degrees. I went to the auto part with my rings and seal and they couldn't help me. I found that Hasting makes or used to make a set but I can't get them here. The Hasting number is 278.

I also checked the internet and I did not find a supplier.

I live in a small town of 3000 people and the next one is 125 miles away which make it harder.
Old 27-02-10, 04:46

Default Welcome to MLU Rene

Using either the manual or information from Brian A. you need to establish the exact size of rings you need........ or if you know for sure that Hastings #278 is the right fit... you now have specifications to start your shopping search.

Using the web you should be able to tap into the collector market in the USA for old tractors and farm equipment..... there is a big market for rebuilding old gasoline one cylinder engines...... these war time model usually had a civilian origin and certain suppliers sell all kind of weird ring sizes......

You can also cruise EBay..... and yes it will take you many evenings to get a hit but its a chance to take.

The worst place to go for anykind of parts we need is usually you local "Auto part store"....... you may do better at an old country farm tractor shop.

Same thing for a seal...... don't tell them what it is for.... just give them the inside and out side diameter....learn to measure with a micometer.... buy a cheap digital one form Princess Auto.......suppliers will search it up on a special search engine by size..... never by make or manufacturer model name..... for this you need to find a "bearing shop" like General Bearing Services" which has stores in larger Canadian towns. or have a coffee with some guys from the machine shop..... they may have good leads.....

It is really satisfying to walk in to a shop like "Bearing Solutions" in Ottawa and drop a large filthy CMP 6.5 inch front wheel grease seal on the counter .... have the guy look at it ......and apologize that he only has one in stock but can have a match by noon the next day...... he never knew what it came from.......

There are other CMP guys in BC.... Like Harry Moon..... that probably can help you find these special suppliers.......

You are only as far as your key board with the web.....

Good Luck

Bob C.
Canada
Old 08-03-11, 14:04

Default Another PU-5008/U generator found - looking for manual

Hi All

Interesting how threads like this will come back to life a year or longer later. I am passing the following message along from a perspective new MLU member.

Quote:
Hi Philip
Very sorry to hear about Mr. Winnington-Ball.
Thank-you so much for your response. My name is Dan Forgêt and I live in Watford, Ontario Canada. The gentleman I purchased the PU-5008/U generator couldn't get it running. I am currently in college taking Alternative Energy Engineering Technology and had recently completed a term of DC and AC motors/generators and was able to troubleshoot and repair it myself. Yahoo!! I seen on MLU that there was a gentleman (I think in Oshawa) that had copies of manuals for these very generators and was selling them for $12. I was hoping to get in contact with him about this and any other info (historic or otherwise) he may have. Thanks a lot for offering to post my requests. I really appreciate it.
Best Regards,

Dan
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com