MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 02-12-06, 23:08

Default My Granfather at Vimy Ridge

Gents:

The gentleman in the lower right corner of this photo is my grandfather Jack Ford, 28th St in New Toronto. Family lore with regard to this oft published photo was that 5 mins after the photo was taken, a shell exploded in the hole and the other three men were killed. Supposedly the photo was used during WWII for Woodbine cigarette ads. Jack was attached to the 2nd Battalion C.E.F. at the time of the photo (or so it says on the copy of the photo I have.) My grandfather lived to a ripe old age of 85 despite being gassed twice and wounded as a result of the a/m explosion.

Al Davis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...GrampaFord.jpg
Old 02-12-06, 23:45
Vets Dottir

Hello Al,

Wow. Amazing experiences and stories your Grandfather must have had.

My own Grandpa Joe Smith was with the CMR CEF but I know absolutely nothing of his service. I want to get his records one day. I found out he served when I visited Archivianet and browsed all of the WW1 Joseph Smith's until I found him and his Attestation papers online for free viewing!!! What an awesome moment that was for me. And what an awesome thing to have that information accessible to families just for the clicking of the mouse!

Your Grandfather sounds like he was very sturdy stuff and I can only imagine how his wartime experiences made him even tougher.

Karmen
Old 03-12-06, 00:06

Default vimy

After the ceremonys in normandy 2004 we short visited the memorial at Vimy never knew it was so impressive.

Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 03-12-06, 14:27

Vimy ridge was the first decisive Allied victory of the First World War. The Canadians won the battle and all the newspapers in London proclaimed a great British victory. It served as the true model for all future Allied victories on the western front which led to the winning of the war. Unfortunately, because it was a Canadian battle most of the histories of the war do not even mention it.
Old 03-12-06, 14:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
Unfortunately, because it was a Canadian battle most of the histories of the war do not even mention it.
Truth, but our monument at Vimy Ridge will long outlast the writers who have chosen to disregard us.
Old 03-12-06, 15:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Truth, but our monument at Vimy Ridge will long outlast the writers who have chosen to disregard us.
Just found the picture I took.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0149.jpg  
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 03-12-06, 16:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thank you, Hendrik. Your gesture is very touching.

It is said that Canada was first defined by Vimy Ridge. I believe it. We only extended that in Italy, Normandy, and through to the liberation of Holland. And now, Korea and Afghanistan.

Old 04-12-06, 00:48
48th Highlander

Default vimy ridge

Hi Alvin:

I joined the 48th Highlanders in 1939 when I lived on Sixth St. in New Toronto. My wifes maiden name was Betty Ford and her father served in the C.E.F during WW1. In this photo he is the one in the upper right corner. His father (Henry Ford) was also in the service but came from Wilshire, England. I believe they moved to Canada when her father was 4 years old. I may be wrong but when your grandfather joined the army 28th street was at that time New Toronto but I believe it later became part of Long Branch. Do you know the name of your grandfathers unit in WW1?

Norm Cromie
Attached Thumbnails
ernie w. ford.jpg  
Old 04-12-06, 23:18

Default Grandfather at Vimy

Norm:

I believe my granfather (Jack) lived in Mimico at the time of the first war and moved out to 28th St sometime after (mid 20's?) He worked at the Goodyear plant at the top of 10th St until his retirement. He was a Scots immigrant. My father and his three brothers, who all served during WWII, (Scots immigrants again) were raised im Mimico. The family name was "Dick". There was my Dad "John" (Toronto Scottish 39-43 then Grenadier Guards 43-45) His brother Bill, a sem-pro lacrosse player with then Mimimco Mounties pre war. (Ended up Grenadier Guards as a Cpt) Brother Sam (Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders-wounded badly in Italy) and brother Bob (RCN- who survived two Corvette sinkings) I was born on 10th St in New Toronto post war. It's funny to see the other threads with regard to Carmen's uncle (Toronto Scottish and the fact you lived on 6th St at in 1939). My fathers best friend was a fellow by the name of George Baker who was in the 48th Highlanders and served overseas. He was a very tall man (6 ft 6 in at least and I believe he was the bass drum player in the regimental band)

With regard to my grandfathers unit, the only inscription on the photo was 2nd Batallion CEF.

Al Davis
Old 06-12-06, 03:17
RIP

Hello Alvin:
What a small world. I was born in Mimco and we lived on Church St (now Royal York Road) Symons Street,then we moved to New Toronto and lived on 3rd Street and 7th Street then we moved back to Mimico to Queens Ave and from there we moved into TO in 1936.The hottest day in July (106 F). Our Dad worked on the CNR in the Mimco Shops but was moved to Toronto.
I remember the lacrosse team The Mimico Mountaineers well.
That's a long time ago now,
Herb
Old 12-12-06, 04:58

Default My Father and Mother

Gents:

In the same vane as another recently posted photo, (Norm Cromie's) here is one of my father and mother taken at Union Station (Toronto) in 1945 upon my fathers return after six years overseas. He is meeting his six yr old daughter (Kathy) who he has never seen before. My mother Mary (Molly) worked five yrs at the British Small Arms factory in Long Branch (really Lakeview) where she helped produce Lee Enfield rifles and Bren guns. Following that she worked at Neptune Meters on Lakeshore Dr in Long Branch producing a/c instruments for Mosquito aircraft. The photo was published in the Toronto Globe and Mail at the time.

Al Davis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...adandKathy.jpg