MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 13-12-14, 06:07
BSM

Default Tail Light Assembly

The attached image is of a gun, tail light assembly which is part of the CES of a CMP Artillery Tractor. Keen to either obtain an actual example or to get access to one to replicate. Has any member come across same in their travels and can assist please. Rod
Attached Thumbnails
TailLight.jpg  
Old 13-12-14, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
The attached image is of a gun, tail light assembly which is part of the CES of a CMP Artillery Tractor. Keen to either obtain an actual example or to get access to one to replicate. Has any member come across same in their travels and can assist please. Rod
I had a NOS one years ago, still in its box, it was a British one, as is your illustration. They still turn up from time to time. Sold mine to a 25pdr owner I think.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 13-12-14, 17:26

Rod,

As far as I can see, the gun tail lamp assembly was not part of the Aust-issued CES for any of the three Aust CMP tractors (Nos 6, 8, 9).

There was a similar item (ie did the same job) in the CES for the 105 mm No.1 Mk.1 Howitzer (ie 'M2A2') but the lamp was a modern large lamp and the cable had a standard NATO trailer connector plug.

Mike
Old 14-12-14, 04:56
BSM

Default Gun tail light

Thanks Richard and Mike. Yes I would agree to a point. Strickly speaking not part of the CES per Field Specification however it was part of the Bofors CES or tools etc. which were carried in the No.6. per the relevant documents I have here so not to split hairs I would still like to have one for our gun which is a registered on the road display piece. As you have both intimated, similar or the same were used on other Arty. examples which may well assist the search etc. and on the other hand it is not a do or die item on the shopping list. Regards.... Rod
Old 14-12-14, 11:11

Hello BSM, from my Arty days, 1970's to the early 90's on the gun lines the M2A2 had a small strap on taillight assembly for travelling on public roads with the plug attached. It was one that resembled the tail light assemblies of the time. This was strapped onto the muzzle and then the cable clipped into the aiming post clamps, wound around the lunette and attached to the Gun Tractor. As described in an earlier thread. The regiments converted to a large white and red striped "On Tow" board with standard off the shelf tail/ brake light assemblies in the 90's the same as any civvy trailer. These attached to the muzzle by a ratchet strap, hard wired and secured along the trails the same way and into the plug of the Gun Tractor.

Will go through my old photos and see if I can find any "out of action" shots of the battery ready for the road trip back from the ranges.

Plenty of shots of being "in action" but by this time the tail light assembly had been long buried in the Gun Tractor.

Cheers,

Dave.
1 x 1945 FMC 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
1 x 1942 Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
Old 14-12-14, 11:45

I seem to recall that the canvas cover for the 25 pdr which incorporated a sleeve to go over the barrel had a large reflector on the muzzle end. No provision was made for lighting.

David
Old 14-12-14, 12:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
I seem to recall that the canvas cover for the 25 pdr which incorporated a sleeve to go over the barrel had a large reflector on the muzzle end. No provision was made for lighting.

David

Yep, I have one here somewhere . If I can find it ,I'd donate it to somebody with the use for it . The local Warragul Aussie disposals also had a plotting board canvas cover marked GMH 1943 , in as new cond.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 14-12-14, 17:12

Dave,

I agree with you. I suspect that wartime and immediate post-war 25-pdr equipment did not include a rear tail lamp for mounting on the gun, with the reflector on the muzzle cover sufficing, though when that was introduced I don't know (the reflector, not the cover!). Neither the wartime (Brit/Aust amended, and Canadian) or the Aust post-war (1950s) 25 pdr handbooks include a tail lamp assembly in the CES. But they were certainly around by the 1960s when the 105mm guns were introduced into service. The one I referred to above was made with the 37 Pattern-type strapping as per Rod's diagram (with that funny later pattern buckle). The one I remember from the No.1 Mk.1 105mm CES was painted gloss Deep Bronze Green, which went out of favour for field equipment in the early to mid 60s.

Since Rod has referred to the 40mm LAA gun, I'll take a look at the Aust handbooks and see if one is listed. In any event, I gather from Rod's comments he wants a tail lamp assembly for towing that at least looks the part.

Mike
Old 14-12-14, 17:30
John Forsey

Default tail light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
if you cannot find one from elswhere I have one that i have never had a use for, john.
Old 15-12-14, 05:15
BSM

Default Bofors barrel fixture tail light

Many thanks for the informative and helpful responses. Will get to them one by one. For those interested there are a number of pages of Bofors Accessories. I cut the previous light image from one of them and will attach the full page with description in this post. I am not attempting to get a complete set of accessories but it is good to add a few key items to any restoration project to present a more complete picture before it all disappears.

Dave (1) thanks for the M2A2 description. Whilst not a member of the RAA I also noted a few muzzle covers here and in Vietnam over the years but still interested to see your pics.

Dave (2) ...Seen same as well for the 25pdr. however the bofors did have one without a reflector. Our example came back from Corowa with one of my members last year and now resides on the gun.

Mike K...many thanks for your generous offer and I hope you can find same. Will of course recompense you any out of pocket expenses. Had another offer from the UK as you can see above in the thread so that will make a good fallback position. That GMH plotting board cover sounds interesting as well but don't know if it is applicable to this gun!

Mike C...thanks for the additional input.

John (Blackpowder)....mate thanks also for your offer and I would like to continue this chat re your item if Mike is unable to locate his example.
Regards....Rod
Attached Thumbnails
BoforsAccessories1.jpg   BoforsAccessories2.jpg  

Last edited by BSM; 15-12-14 at 23:49.
Old 15-12-14, 05:19
BSM

The light and other small bits are required for the bofors in the attached.
First image is about mid restoration and the second is where it is now.
Rod
Attached Thumbnails
MLU4.jpg   MLU5.jpg  
Old 15-12-14, 10:44
DesertTrooper

Default tail light assembly

would this be of any help

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141215_114358.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	69864
Old 15-12-14, 10:46
DesertTrooper

Default tail light assembly

The 2 long bits are spring steel. Its' only missing the web strap.
Old 15-12-14, 13:55
carrier mech

That would appear to be the US pattern of light. I think I have 5 different generations of that light, varying from 6 volt WW2, 24V ww2 lamp with Mseries plug, 24v M series plug and lamp, M-series plug with two lamps on clamping bracket, then 2 of the large lense M-series lamps on the large bracket. Lastly, I have a 155mm bracket which has a wooden adapter to use on the 105.

All of these lamps have become obsolete here in Canada as the DND has now simply installed the lamps on the shields of the C3 howitzers.
Old 15-12-14, 23:50
BSM

Interesting piece Paul. Thanks for posting but not correct for my application. Cheers Rod
Old 22-12-14, 12:30
John Forsey

Default Bofors tail light

I have found the tail light but it only consists of the metal light cage and the retaining strap. You are welcome to have these for the cost of posting. The web retaining strap has FINNIGANS arrow-1945 stamped on it.I hope the pictures show up on here, John.
Attached Thumbnails
bofors light 004.jpg   bofors light 003.jpg  
Old 22-12-14, 16:34
Adrian Barrell

John,

if Rod doesn't have it, I'd be interested.

Regards,

Adrian
Old 29-12-14, 11:40
BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpowder44 View Post
I have found the tail light but it only consists of the metal light cage and the retaining strap. You are welcome to have these for the cost of posting. The web retaining strap has FINNIGANS arrow-1945 stamped on it.I hope the pictures show up on here, John.
John thanks much for digging out the item you have posted. Sorry for the delay but have been down South for a week visiting family. Seems to be around 50% of what I am looking for and as I haven't heard from Mike so far I would be pleased to take up your kind offer. Please PM me postage charges. Rod
PS: If another item surfaces I shall advise the other interested party.
Old 29-12-14, 14:57

The light unit is the standard late war pattern rear light fitted to everything so not hard to find, but can be expensive now.

I have seen these with the standard round post war British glass rear light so obviously saw some post-war service.
Old 03-01-15, 03:38
BSM

Default Muzle cover

Best for the New Year to Forum members. Following on from the above and Dave's comments, the included image is the canvas muzzle cover for the 40mm Bofors. There is no reflector on the end and it was used in conjunction with a canvas "Platform Cover" which went over the breech housing etc with a rope tie through eyelets in its lower section. The same style of buckle that Mike C commented on is also used on the muzzle cover. There is a Mark 2 style listed in the Accessories Pages which covered the barrel completely and the front of the breech housing. Rod
Attached Thumbnails
20040101_06.jpg  
Old 13-02-16, 18:05

I'm returning to this thread after a long time as I came across some info yesterday in relation to tail/stop lamp assemblies for Australian guns. An EMEI was first issued on 28 March 1958 titled 'Tail/Stop Lights for 25 pdr 40 mm and 6 pdr 7 cwt equipment'. It states:

"to comply with peacetime traffic regulations a tail/stop light assembly for the above equipment has been introduced into service. The equipment is issued as a complete kit and will be attached to the gun when it is being towed on public roads during the hours of darkness...' and ' the kit consists of a commercial pattern stop/tail light mounted on a special bracket which is fitted with webbing straps suitable for attachment to the end of the gun barrel. From the tail light a length of rubber covered electrical cable leads to a 4-pin socket suitable to the standard towing vehicle 4-pin point. Along the cable at 4 foot intervals cotton tapes are fitted for the purpose of fixing the cable to suitable points on the equipment.'

Unfortunately, no image or diagram was included.

The EMEI(Aust) is Armament A601-1, so the equipment formed part of the gun stores. As there was no cancellation or replacement indicated (as would normally be the case when updating or replacing an already on-issue stores item) and this was the first issue of the EMEI, I would tentatively conclude that tail/stop lamp assemblies were not an issue item in Australia for the above mentioned artillery items prior to 1958.

Doesn't help BSM of course, who is simply looking - or by now has found or made - an appropriate looking tail/stop lamp assembly for his towed gun, but interesting from an historical perspective nevertheless.

Mike