MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 25-11-08, 20:25
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default A Nice Story

Back on Remembrance Day (11 Nov), columnist Mark Bonokoski of the Toronto Sun newspaper wrote a column about his father's cousin, Pilot Officer Daniel Bonokoski, who perished on 29 January 1944 over Berlin as an Air Bomber in Bomber Command. Mark had indicated that his 2nd cousin (?? - I never figured this out) was buried in the Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery but unfortunately had never had a chance to visit the grave, and was there anyone out there who could supply a picture.

I'm pleased to say that I could, and did. Through my Admin exposure to Tanknet (http://www.tank-net.org) I found an expatriate Brit living in Berlin who did the deed without questions. He (Dave Clark) provided almost 90 mb of hi-res pics of the cemetery and grave, which I duly forwarded off to Mark.

As a result, Mark has written yet another column on the subject, appearing in today's Toronto Sun (Page 7 to be precise). He wraps up his experience of his cousin neatly and says some nice things about both me and Dave for stepping up to the plate. MAPLE LEAF UP gets an honourable mention as well, for which I am grateful.

You may read the article online here: http://www.torontosun.com/news/colum...26371-sun.html

I would have done this regardless, but it's nice to know that you've brought a bit of closure to someone's life.

RIP, PO Bonokoski. Youi have not been forgotten.
Attached Thumbnails
bonokoski_1c.jpg  
Old 25-11-08, 22:35
MLU Administrator

Good show!

H.
Old 26-11-08, 00:23

I live near Allerton Park - http://www.allertoncastle.co.uk/index.html - in the UK which was the headquarters of the Canadian No 6 Bomber Group.

Near by there is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetary at Stonefall in Harrogate. Out of the 1000 graves about 700 are Canadian.

If anyone is looking for a photo from here just let me know.