MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 23-04-04, 16:53

Default Daimler Dingo control ball joints

Hi,
my toy is in need of control ball joints for the accelerator rod, relay rod, hand throttle and mixture a total of 7 missing. Does anyone have said joints for sale or know of a source?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 25-04-04, 16:09

Default Pictures...???

Do you have a picture or sketch of what they look like......

...if it is a throttle linkage what you describe is similar to the hand throttle linkages on Farm tractors ... ie Massey Ferguson.... ball type in a socket with threaded end..... you might want to check farm equiment suppliers.... just replaced mine....one piece $16.00 Cdn....
Canada
Old 26-04-04, 03:08

Dear Bob,
I don't have the ability to scan an image but I'll see if I can cut and paste from somewhere. Interestingly, I think it was M-F that came up with the quick release control ball joint in the first place. A quick release fitting can be found in the UK, though in metric, or there are non-quick release ones in BSF but the price of the latter were a bit much considering how many I need.
A Daimler Ferret apparently has similar ones to the S/C though in UNF, which would still suit as I have missing control rods, too (something else to make).
The style used on the Daimler S/C has a small spring saddle clip that fits into two little slots in the outside of the socket/cup and prevents the ball from popping out. The socket is internally threaded in either 2BA or 1/4 BSF; still awaiting measurements on this.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 26-04-04, 15:33

OK, let's see if this works. The attached image is a stainless version in metric and it has a spring wire clip in a different location but looks very close to what the Daimler should have.
Cheers,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 26-04-04, 23:45

Default Got it....

Hi Dave

The picture is worth a thousand words.... my hi-speed access is down and things are ssslllooooowwwww!!!

Nonetheless, the pictures shows a somewhat expensive SS fixture which I am sure they did not have anything that good back then.....

I have a spare M-F in the glove box of my truck and see if I can get it posted tonite... I know mine is imperial measurement.

Now if you will pardon my spelling... that kind of coupling is sometimes referred to as "HEIMLER" something ... help me ought here guys.... and are usually found at surplus stores.... and a lot cheaper..... I will have to see what is sitting on the shelves at Princess Auto.... they have production overrun......

I think the M-F source is probably the best and cheapest source as these little suckers are on tractors and combines with their long twisted mechanical controls.....

Will try to get back to you tonite.....
Canada
Old 27-04-04, 03:00

Default Got it....

Hi Dave

Here is the first of 3 pictures...comments on the last email...
Attached Thumbnails
resize of hpim0865.jpg  
Canada
Old 27-04-04, 03:01

Default number two...

Hang in there...
Attached Thumbnails
resize of hpim0866.jpg  
Canada
Old 27-04-04, 03:08

Default ... and 3 ...

.... now the bolt is a 1/4 inch.. we refer to as 14 - 20.... which is the same size as my linkage rods which are threaded.. and just there for comparaison....

Note to watch..... on end of the rod is RH thread the other end LH thread and you have to get the right pair to be able to adjust over all lenght..... the female thread is also RH and LH...

Now these are not original M-F parts... the dealer gets them from visiting jobbers... he selects what he knows are needed for general application.... needless to say they come in various sizes as well.

If you get stuck sourcing these parts I will ask my M-F dealer to get me some manufacturing or distribution leads.....

Good luck and let me know how you made out.... I may revert to refabricating the throttle linkage on my C15 cab 11...
Attached Thumbnails
resize of hpim0867.jpg  
Canada
Old 27-04-04, 15:22

Dear Bob,
that is very close, though not a "quick release" or perhaps "detachable" is a better description, it is in 1/4"- 20 (UNC 60 degree pitch, no doubt) which can have the threads chased for 1/4 BSW (1/4 - 20 but 55 degree pitch). This has potential, too. I am trying very hard to only have BSW and BSF nuts and bolts on the car as it less confusing.
The SS version I posted also comes in zinc plated steel, which is a lot cheaper but that particular image showed the configuration better. Depending on the size ball required I may be able to re-thread a 5mm to 1/4 BSF (1/4 - 26, 55 degree pitch).
Note how the spring wire clip retains the ball in the socket. The type used on the Daimler is very close in profile and basically differs only in location and shape of the clip.
This is very good information you have provided, and gives me quite a selection to choose from, now. I just have to examine the mechanics of the control rods.
Thanks,
Dave